• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA Summer 2023

7 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

I am saying that not everyone had the extreme warmth of those two stations.   

Ok, well, it looks like eastern Pennsylvania did a bit better in terms of cold. The 44F at Mount Pocono was only the 33rd warmest minimum for the month of August (since 1902). In western Pennsylvania, whenever there is a cold snap these days, it's accompanied by thick stratocumulus from the Great Lakes preventing radiational cooling from occurring.

But, on the same token, Mount Pocono has not been below 40F in the month of August since 1992. From 1902-1992 - a total of 92 years, but for which only data exists for only 86 years - there were 46 years in which the temperature dropped below 40F in the month of August. In other words, a temperature that used to be observed more frequently than every other year has not occurred in over three decades.

• Thanks 1
  • Weenie 1

1 minute ago, TheClimateChanger said:

Ok, well, it looks like eastern Pennsylvania did a bit better in terms of cold. The 44F at Mount Pocono was only the 33rd warmest minimum for the month of August (since 1902). In western Pennsylvania, whenever there is a cold snap these days, it's accompanied by thick stratocumulus from the Great Lakes preventing radiational cooling from occurring.

But, on the same token, Mount Pocono has not been below 40F in the month of August since 1992. From 1902-1992 - a total of 92 years, but for which only data exists for only 86 years - there were 46 years in which the temperature dropped below 40F in the month of August. In other words, a temperature that used to be observed more frequently than every other year has not occurred in over three decades.

Definitely warmer now than in the past....just does not come off to me as one of the warmest summers in recent times for the state.  Those location low's you pointed out are extreme, but the highs were not extreme at all this summer.  Just think some credence should be given to us getting a bit of a break this summer vs. many of the last 5-10. 

1 hour ago, TheClimateChanger said:

As I noted here, it was at or below freezing throughout western Pennsylvania outside of the heat island areas in August 1982. It was even 38F in suburban Washington, D.C. at Dulles International Airport. What was the low temperature in Cashtown in August 1982? Are you saying the ASOS temperatures are incorrect or unreliable? And, if so, why would they just start being wrong in recent years?

I made a post a couple of weeks ago mentioning that there was an August years ago when Lancaster County dropped into the 30s during August...I could not remember the exact year, but you just answered it. Thank you for that.

You post a lot of information and data. I hope you'll be willing to post about, and be just as in-depth with your numbers when we have cold months as well.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

I made a post a couple of weeks ago mentioning that there was an August years ago when Lancaster County dropped into the 30s during August...I could not remember the exact year, but you just answered it. Thank you for that.

You post a lot of information and data. I hope you'll be willing to post about, and be just as in-depth with your numbers when we have cold months as well.

Cashtown's rig in 1982

Tata 5 - Piece Crib Bedding Set

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, TheClimateChanger said:

As I noted here, it was at or below freezing throughout western Pennsylvania outside of the heat island areas in August 1982. It was even 38F in suburban Washington, D.C. at Dulles International Airport. What was the low temperature in Cashtown in August 1982? Are you saying the ASOS temperatures are incorrect or unreliable? And, if so, why would they just start being wrong in recent years?

I remember that August 1982. I remember them saying (on the radio)there was frost upstate. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TheClimateChanger said:

I don't know what this matters. The only first-order stations to reach below 50F were Bradford (47F) and Mount Pocono (44F). The minimum was exactly 50 at Johnstown-Cambria County and Altoona. These stations have been in the same location for decades. Sheltered valley locations can get quite a bit colder than mountain locations.

You’ve been venturing into OT too much lately, lol. I didn’t read @Bubbler86’s post as an intent to cause disagreement or strife.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

I actually do think we are warming as a whole.  But was nice to score some 40's down here in Aug for once. 

Doing better than I am. Low for August at PIT was 52. The 9th straight year we haven’t gotten to 50 or lower in August, easily a record if you set the threshold at 51. There’s a 12 year stretch with no 40s from 1892-1903 but there were a couple years in that stretch that dropped to 50.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TimB said:

Doing better than I am. Low for August at PIT was 52. The 9th straight year we haven’t gotten to 50 or lower in August, easily a record if you set the threshold at 51. There’s a 12 year stretch with no 40s from 1892-1903 but there were a couple years in that stretch that dropped to 50.

As I was mentioning in the other replies, I think the highs this year, over here at least, have been "not so hot".    Hot compared to full historical records but not hot compared to 2000's. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

As I was mentioning in the other replies, I think the highs this year, over here at least, have been "not so hot".    Hot compared to full historical records but not hot compared to 2000's. 

August is going to clock in just slightly above normal here, with highs just a tenth or two below normal but lows a degree or so above.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, TimB said:

You’ve been venturing into OT too much lately, lol. I didn’t read @Bubbler86’s post as an intent to cause disagreement or strife.

Sorry, it's difficult to be optimistic. Even in a relatively cooler summer, it's still exceedingly difficult to come anywhere near cold records. I think the low at PIT in the current cool snap was 58 this morning, which is only a couple degrees below normal.

As an aside, excluding today, PIT has averaged 55.3F over the first eight months of the year. The last 8 years have averaged 54.7 for Jan-Aug, and the last 14 years have averaged 54.3 for Jan-Aug. By comparison, the mean at Clarksburg, West Virginia for Jan-Aug from 1948 to 1980 was 53.9F. We are now warmer than the typical climate in Clarksburg, West Virginia for the mid to latter part of the 20th century. This year has also been warmer than about 1 in every 4 years over that same stretch at Charleston, West Virgina, and the mean at PIT for the past 8 years is warmer than roughly 1 in 6 years at Charleston, West Virginia for the period 1948-1980. In other words, the last 10-15 years at PIT are now warmer than a typical mid/late 20th century climate in northern West Virginia, and approaching the 20-25th percentile of similar elevations in southern West Virginia. Hard to be an optimist. And like I said, I'm not even looking at 1800s or early 1900s, I'm just looking at temperature records only a little more than 40-70 years ago. Probably in the lifetime of some posters here.

And it might be easy to blame the heat island, but I would point out Clarksburg has averaged 57.8F so far this year (2.5F warmer than PIT) and Charleston has averaged 58.8F (3.5F warmer than PIT). So  if it's that, then there must be some urban warming to blame in West Virginia as well.

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, TheClimateChanger said:

Sorry, it's difficult to be optimistic. Even in a relatively cooler summer, it's still exceedingly difficult to come anywhere near cold records. I think the low at PIT in the current cool snap was 58 this morning, which is only a couple degrees below normal.

As an aside, excluding today, PIT has averaged 55.3F over the first eight months of the year. The last 8 years have averaged 54.7 for Jan-Aug, and the last 14 years have averaged 54.3 for Jan-Aug. By comparison, the mean at Clarksburg, West Virginia for Jan-Aug from 1948 to 1980 was 53.9F. We are now warmer than the typical climate in Clarksburg, West Virginia for the mid to latter part of the 20th century. This year has also been warmer than about 1 in every 4 years over that same stretch at Charleston, West Virgina, and the mean at PIT for the past 8 years is warmer than roughly 1 in 6 years at Charleston, West Virginia for the period 1948-1980. In other words, the last 10-15 years at PIT are now warmer than a typical mid/late 20th century climate in northern West Virginia, and approaching the 20-25th percentile of similar elevations in southern West Virginia. Hard to be an optimist. And like I said, I'm not even looking at 1800s or early 1900s, I'm just looking at temperature records only a little more than 40-70 years ago. Probably in the lifetime of some posters here.

And it might be easy to blame the heat island, but I would point out Clarksburg has averaged 57.8F so far this year (2.5F warmer than PIT) and Charleston has averaged 58.8F (3.5F warmer than PIT). So  if it's that, then there must be some urban warming to blame in West Virginia as well.

I mean yeah, it’s a disaster. Even with the new warmer normals we’re still above them some 8 or 9 months every year.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, TimB said:

August is going to clock in just slightly above normal here, with highs just a tenth or two below normal but lows a degree or so above.

Those "high lows" will cause MDT to be slightly above normal for Aug as well like MJS mentioned a few days ago.   Overall Met summer is well BN at MDT due to June's large departure.   Looks like MDT will end up the 4th coolest summer since 2010 mean wise and 5th coolest high temp mean wise with 2017 being the last cooler date in both circumstances.   Not great at all full history wise but still a break from the previous 5 year frying pan.   Low temp wise, 2023 is currently tied for second coolest since 2010 (again 2017 the last one).  MDT's lows have been "high" for quite a long time.   Have to go back to the 1990's to see a time when MDT was cooler at night more than a random year.  Some lowers numbers form the 1990's are 62.4 and 63.7.  I say HIA. 

image.png.843e89a5acaa1768bb2aa682973b2bd2.pngimage.png.56caba4d72ea316bcdfb14ddb70662b2.pngimage.png.72e8ef72c8ca9da8c88b6e35234742ea.png

• Thanks 1

I'll put a bow on this by saying I think it's been a beautiful summer.  Sure, it's been a bit dry at times in certain locales and yes there were a couple of days with some wildfire smokiness.  But hey, it's summer and no season is ever perfect.  Overall, it was a nice mix of weather and no real extreme heat.  I'm pleased and would sign up for ten more like it.  Now, everybody go have a cold one.  Cheers!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Mount Joy Snowman said:

I'll put a bow on this by saying I think it's been a beautiful summer.  Sure, it's been a bit dry at times in certain locales and yes there were a couple of days with some wildfire smokiness.  But hey, it's summer and no season is ever perfect.  Overall, it was a nice mix of weather and no real extreme heat.  I'm pleased and would sign up for ten more like it.  Now, everybody go have a cold one.  Cheers!

National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation (1989) – Chevy Chase Comedy Xmas  Movie Review - SCARED STIFF REVIEWS

• Haha 2

42 minutes ago, Mount Joy Snowman said:

Outside the Chevy Chase jokes, I think for some of the dry locales, it has been accentuated by the way the totals have tallied up.  Long stretches of nothing but T's and then a 1-2" hammer making the numbers look better than they really are as it pertains to vegetation.   1/4"-1/2" of an inch every 3-4 days is much better than 3" totaled over 2 days then close to nothing the rest of the month.  Totals look similar but on the ground results are much different.

Here is states evidence exhibit A to back your beautiful summer claim:

image.png.59e83942ba0507789ec49504cb23b45e.png

1 hour ago, Bubbler86 said:

Outside the Chevy Chase jokes, I think for some of the dry locales, it has been accentuated by the way the totals have tallied up.  Long stretches of nothing but T's and then a 1-2" hammer making the numbers look better than they really are as it pertains to vegetation.   1/4"-1/2" of an inch every 3-4 days is much better than 3" totaled over 2 days then close to nothing the rest of the month.  Totals look similar but on the ground results are much different.

Here is states evidence exhibit A to back your beautiful summer claim:

image.png.59e83942ba0507789ec49504cb23b45e.png

Lancaster finishing August with a total of 1.17" of rain, or 25% of normal.

• Thanks 1