Total Members
    Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
June 2023 Summer Begins

Damage In Tolland

3 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

It's their typical m.o. with "..environmental conditions are conducive," which can encapsulate a lot .. But I wonder if this emerging Cape Verdi TS and invest trigger pull might be related to the marine heat wave that's occurring over the eastern Atlantic.    ...soaring to some +4 C over a gargantuan area, too..  interesting.

CV season on June 15 is pretty darn early

Quite early. Operational guidance has gotten more aggressive with TC genesis in the MDR but the signal has been there for a while.

Not sure about the environment in the western Atlantic in 7-10 days though allowing for something tangible to survive with a TUTT lurking.

It’s historically warm across much of the basin. Just outrageous anomalies.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CoastalWx said:

I used to hate the heat. But man it's good to be outside and doing summer stuff with the family. I don't mind that at all now. Winter is the season now starting to wear me down. It's too long to have permanent November weather like we've been experiencing. 

As much as DIT has perverted the phrase, I enjoy seasons in season.  There is something to like in every season.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, ineedsnow said:

Atleast it's only 8 days away :lol:

gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_us_34.png

It's more amusing than anything - not that you think anything more.

But forgetting the outlook distance ... A 986 mb rapidly filling core passing over 55 F colder than normal shelf waters is probably barely above a breezy day ... lol  Gotta love the GFS fantasies

• Haha 3

53 minutes ago, weathafella said:

Yeah had that nao been just a bit less robust we’d have gone to town.

Even if the NAO were just as strong, while not an ideal pattern for us and especially me, I am confident some of those systems would evolve slightly differently and that would have major sensible implications.

6 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Even if the NAO were just as strong, while not an ideal pattern for us and especially me, I am confident some of those systems would evolve slightly differently and that would have major sensible implications.

But the marine puke from the very strong NAO killed us in February and made NNE folks hating NAO forever.   We had that between Xmas and new years 1995 but it relented enough to our delight.

42 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

It won’t happen but it raises an interesting question for me: what’s the earliest hurricane strike on record in NE?

Just off of the top of my head, Hurricane Cindy in July 1959??..or perhaps the hurricane in July 1916??...There were likely earlier ones in the 1600's and 1700's but they may have been thought of as a strong storm rather than a tropical system.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Great Snow 1717 said:

Just off of the top of my head, Hurricane Cindy in July 1959??..or perhaps the hurricane in July 1916??...There were likely earlier ones in the 1600's and 1700's but they may have been thought of as a strong storm rather than a tropical system.

Cindy was barely a depression here I think. Not sure about 1916. Bertha is the one that strikes me as a decent impact with heavy rain and strong winds. That was in July 1996. Bertha was a TS here.

3 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Cindy was barely a depression here I think. Not sure about 1916. Bertha is the one that strikes me as a decent impact with heavy rain and strong winds. That was in July 1996. Bertha was a TS here.

If Cindy doesn't qualify then it is likely the 1916 storm.

8 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Weakened to a TS just before landfall. But that is an interesting track.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1916_Atlantic_hurricane_season#/media/File:1916_Atlantic_hurricane_3_track.png

Just now while doing research I stumbled upon this...

#25 - Early American hurricanes, 1492-1870 / David M. Ludlum. - Full View | HathiTrust Digital Library

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Euro is interesting. It buries the cutoff well south and gets some very warm to hot air moving in late week. An absolute furnace in NNE, especially nrn ME. 

Yeah, I was just going to comment on that ...

This can sneak up and bite - these "synergistic heat phenomenon" ...

A pattern change has been pretty evident for many, many runs now, one that would at minimum offer more seasonal low temperatures and increasing WB temps... It's always a bit of mystery when nearing a wholesale design change, whether we're heading into amp town or how far.

The other aspect ... that closed low was never more than 576 in scalar modeled depth.  Relative to the surrounding medium, it was always a bit dubious how much the models were were using that shallow mechanics to cause all that shit tubing out of the east anyway.

GGEM trended a little too fwiw -

3 hours ago, weathafella said:

Yeah had that nao been just a bit less robust we’d have gone to town.

Take 2009-10 with slightly less exotic blocking and you probably have a blockbuster winter here (and quite a bit colder too)

2 hours ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Quite early. Operational guidance has gotten more aggressive with TC genesis in the MDR but the signal has been there for a while.

Not sure about the environment in the western Atlantic in 7-10 days though allowing for something tangible to survive with a TUTT lurking.

It’s historically warm across much of the basin. Just outrageous anomalies.

I'd be more interested in OHC and T-depth numbers rather than SSTs out there since a little upwelling can sometimes wipe out big + anomalies within days.

• Like 1