• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey

I'm again not believing the hype for heat at the end of this month. We keep seeing interludes where it looks real on the models only to rapidly disappear into onshore southeasterly or easterly winds marine layers galore yes higher humidity but probably also periods of rain. The heights come up some but with the developing El Nino jet stream energy and storms passing over us or even to our south, jet stream about 750 miles further south than normal, I say a cooler wetter than average summer is on the way. Now that doesn't mean there won't be the isolated days of heat in between the rain and fog makers. Maybe even a rare two days in the row at times. But I see this summer ending up with a grand total of 5-15 90+ days at Central Park.

WX/PT 

• Like 7

20 minutes ago, Wxoutlooksblog said:

I'm again not believing the hype for heat at the end of this month. We keep seeing interludes where it looks real on the models only to rapidly disappear into onshore southeasterly or easterly winds marine layers galore yes higher humidity but probably also periods of rain. The heights come up some but with the developing El Nino jet stream energy and storms passing over us or even to our south, jet stream about 750 miles further south than normal, I say a cooler wetter than average summer is on the way. Now that doesn't mean there won't be the isolated days of heat in between the rain and fog makers. Maybe even a rare two days in the row at times. But I see this summer ending up with a grand total of 5-15 90+ days at Central Park.

WX/PT 

It would be nice to have a near normal summer, temperature wise, but we have seen above normal temperatures for many moons, so I expect the seasonable weather not to last?  Yes, I know persistence is the weakest of forecasting tools.

• Like 2

I’m here for a cooler to normal summer. Doesn’t have to be 90+ with dews at ‘pea soup’ levels to have enjoyable, sunny summer days. A lot of my dysphoria for our climate is due to the oppressive heat of recent years.

Aside from that, within the past 20 years haven’t ‘cooler’ summers preceded a few of our better winters? Not implying a correlation, just noting from memory what I remember seeing.  

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, Volcanic Winter said:

I’m here for a cooler to normal summer. Doesn’t have to be 90+ with dews at ‘pea soup’ levels to have enjoyable, sunny summer days. A lot of my dysphoria for our climate is due to the oppressive heat of recent years.

Aside from that, within the past 20 years haven’t ‘cooler’ summers preceded a few of our better winters? Not implying a correlation, just noting from memory what I remember seeing.  

Not in my memory. I think it can work both ways. A few examples of extremely hot summers followed by great winters correct me if I'm wrong---1966, 1993, 1995, 2002, 2010....just to name a few. But of course hot summer of 1983 was followed by a not so great winter of 83-84. So I think it works both ways and that it's not a great correlation. Another hot summer 1991 was followed by a not very good winter 91-92. 

WX/PT

• Thanks 1

We could talk about if El Nino wasn't setting up but I think things would be very different right now if that wasn't happening. Entering into El Nino will not be good if you like a long hot summer here. Once the El Nino is established or weakening could also be a very different story.

WX/PT

• Like 3

An extended period of generally cooler than normal temperatures is ongoing. No return to summerlike heat is likely through at least the first three weeks of June.

Tomorrow will be variably cloudy and a bit cooler. Some showers and thundershowers are possible.

Texas could see near record and record heat develop during the middle and latter part of the week. Already, Laredo saw a near record 110° high today. At present, there is no indication that this heat will move into the Middle Atlantic and southern New England regions.

The latest ECMWF weeklies continue to show no significant heat until at least late in the month.

The ENSO Region 1+2 anomaly was +2.6°C and the Region 3.4 anomaly was +0.9°C for the week centered around June 7. For the past six weeks, the ENSO Region 1+2 anomaly has averaged +2.28°C and the ENSO Region 3.4 anomaly has averaged +0.58°C. El Niño conditions have developed and will likely continue to strengthen through at least the summer.

The SOI was -1.69 today.

The preliminary Arctic Oscillation (AO) was +0.601 today.

On June 11 the MJO was in Phase 3 at an amplitude of 1.384 (RMM). The June 10-adjusted amplitude was 1.359 (RMM).

Based on sensitivity analysis applied to the latest guidance, there is an implied 66% probability that New York City will have a cooler than normal June (1991-2020 normal). June will likely finish with a mean temperature near 71.0° (0.8° below normal).

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, SnoSki14 said:

All this cool talk but I think June still would've been slightly AN using the older averages and May definitely would've been AN. 

But I guess less hot is the new cool nowadays 

Yes.  Which goes back to the old debate about using the most recent 20 or 30 years for "averages" but using all of recording history for the "records".  

• Like 3

The next 8 days are averaging    72degs.(64/81) or near Normal.

Reached 84 here yesterday at 6pm.

Today:    72-75, wind sw., cloudy, rain by 1pm?, 63 tomorrow AM.

66*(82%RH) here at 7am{65 at 6am}.      68* at 9am.        70* at 10am.       69* at Noon with a shower.       73* at 4pm. and sun is out.     Reached 78* at 5pm.

72/60 and mostly sunny (for now) as clouds and showers are to the EPA border.  Showers some storms this morning into the afternoon.  Clouds and rain should cap temps in the md 70s.  Thu (6/15) a warmer redo of Tue , mostly sunny and stunning near / low 80s.  Fri (6/16) a redo of today perhaps a bit more widespread showers and storms as the ULL moves through Upstate NY into SNE.  Storms and clouds stubborn and lingering into the split of the weekend with most of Sat cloudy with showers / storms.  Probably some breaks in the clouds at times but not a great day.  Fathers day looking dry and very pleasant near 80 / low 80s.

6/19  - 6/26 Ridge and heat continues to build into the Rockies, TX / Southern Plains, as the ridge builds and heat pushes over the north into Southern Canada, a cut off  trough into the W Carolinas/VA  pushes an onshore flow into the area.  This is more reminiscent of Memorial day low a bit north.  So clouds and showers are closer by especially southern sections but some nicer / drier days in between.  The brunt of the rain axis looks south into VA/NC/MD.  We'll see.   The Southern Cali pattern continues but have seen similar Junes progress this way with big heat into Canada before building down and then the W/ Atlantic Ridge builds west,

Beyond, as this cut off and associated lows lifts out and the flow comes around to the N/NW heat into Southern Canada could setup the next warm period to close the month.  We'll see if the tendency is to cut off another trough into the Northeast.   But overall a warmer look as there isn't much cool air around outside the onshore flow.

spinning wheel.

GOES16-NE-GEOCOLOR-600x600.gif 

• Thanks 1

Records:

Highs:

EWR: 99 (1988)
NYC: 99 (1956)
LGA: 99 (1956)

Lows:

EWR: 49 (1978)
NYC: 49 (1875)
LGA: 51 (1978)

Historical:

1903 - The Heppner Disaster occurred in Oregon. A cloudburst in the hills sent a flood down Willow Creek, and a twenty foot wall of water swept away a third of the town in minutes, killing 236 residents and causing 100 million dollars damage. (David Ludlum)

1961 - The temperature in Downtown San Francisco, CA, soared to 106 degrees to establish an all-time record for that location. (The Weather Channel)

1987 - Thirty-two cities in the central U.S. reported record high temperatures for the date. The high of 97 degrees at Flint, MI, tied their record for June, and the high of 101 at Milwaukee WI marked their first 100 degree reading in 32 years. Thunderstorms brought much needed rains to South Texas, drenching McAllen with 3.2 inches in one hour. A thunderstorm soaked the town of Uncertain with 2.3 inches of rain in one hour. (The National Weather Summary)

1988 - Thirty cities in the eastern U.S. reported record high temperatures for the date. (The National Weather Summary)

1989 - Thunderstorms developing ahead of a cold front produced severe weather from the Central Gulf States to the Middle Atlantic Coast Region during the day and into the night. There were 62 reports of large hail and damaging winds. Thunderstorm winds caused 28 million dollars damage in Montgomery County MD. (Storm Data) (The National Weather Summary)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dark Star said:

Yes.  Which goes back to the old debate about using the most recent 20 or 30 years for "averages" but using all of recording history for the "records".  

Yes, this always annoyed me.  Why don't we use the whole history for our averages?  We can easily look at a graph and see that the past x #'s of years are trending up, etc. to see a trend.  

11 hours ago, SnoSki14 said:

All this cool talk but I think June still would've been slightly AN using the older averages and May definitely would've been AN. 

But I guess less hot is the new cool nowadays 

The further west you went June would have been below for that period too, but we are several years past older averages, time to move on.  

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, winterwx21 said:

That's possible but it would be very isolated. For most of us it's just this band of showers that will be moving through shortly that will deliver a tenth to quarter inch of rain at most. 

Yup.  Rain just started here.  I'm hoping for .25"

• Like 2