Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Extended summer stormlover74 future snow hole banter thread 23

BxEngine

On 2/3/2024 at 9:07 AM, North and West said:

afe41ba5984e05e6334eed69e9fd0fbc.jpg

No wonder (North) America is ahead, always go with leading edge technology. These underground computers do nothing but process visual cues for a full year and then without trace of error they proclaim an infallible result. Or so I was told by Wiarton Willie (Canada's leading climate expert) (Wiarton is YVV on Lake huron, Georgian Bay actually). There is also a Shubenacadie Sam but I understand he could not get through the 40" snow drift to give his opinion, but I would say six more weeks of winter could be a sensible interpretation of what he was grunting down there under the snow. (eastern NS has been buried in 30-40 inches of snow recently). 

I laugh at media coverage out west, we also have not only groundhogs but marmots looking for shadows. The news guy says, without any trace of irony, "In the east, P-Phil (or Wiarton Willie etc) are calling for an early spring, but our local expert, Cascades Curtis (or whoever) disagrees ... and calls for six more weeks of winter. Talk about a grasp of climate, either spring comes early or winter stays on everywhere in N America. ... and they want to be my latex salesmen. Anyway, I know they only show the rodents to annoy their weather person who has to pretend to be interested. Usually the intro is, "the rodent says X but our expert, who is so much smarter than a rodent, says what? Expert? Are you awake?" And they don't really sound very confident about knowing more than a rodent, to be honest. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Rjay said:

Los Angeles getting smoked today

There's no need to hear or see any drought talk coming out of the west for at least another decade.  For several years all everyone talked about out there was how all the lakes were drying up and they would be out of water..... well they got what they wished for.

• Confused 3
  • Weenie 2

I read this article too and while it mentions a snow drought, it says the snow pack has been building up with the last few storms.

https://www.latimes.com/environment/story/2024-01-31/amid-storms-california-snowpack-remains-far-below-average

This is from the end of January so still doesn't cover the current storm.

22 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

Well, now they're saying there's no more drought in California

and this is even before the current deluge.

https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2023-11-07/california-is-drought-free

There’s no drought anywhere in California: How long that’s expected to last, and why

You mentioned "the west" and "at least another decade"...

11 minutes ago, IrishRob17 said:

You mentioned "the west" and "at least another decade"...

Yea, my bad, I'm just looking at if this continues because of the -PDO we've had the last few years, so it's now two years in a row.

The snow drought is still there though, so I can see how the drought can come back quicker than it normally would, because they don't have that much "water in the bank"-- snowpack in the Sierra is only 65% of normal (this is before the update with the latest storm.)

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

Yea, my bad, I'm just looking at if this continues because of the -PDO we've had the last few years, so it's now two years in a row.

The snow drought is still there though, so I can see how the drought can come back quicker than it normally would, because they don't have that much "water in the bank"-- snowpack in the Sierra is only 65% of normal (this is before the update with the latest storm.)

And Lake Mead is improving but has a ways to go still.  Summer of 1983, and 1999 apparently, were the last times it was full.https://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/images/150111/lake-mead-keeps-dropping  To be fair, Lake Mead is also impacted by the tremendous growth out there.

lake mead.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, IrishRob17 said:

And Lake Mead is improving but has a ways to go still.  Summer of 1983 was the last time it was full.

lake mead.JPG

When a multidecade drought does that to a large lake, it'll take multiple decades for them to recover.  Meanwhile getting the snowpack back up will help a lot (even if it means our winters will suck for awhile lol.)

5 hours ago, Rjay said:

19. You didn't see the hidden ones

That's right, but none of them were off topic, we were just talking about alternate ways to have snowy winters.

It's completely different to be making 19 posts in a row while most people are sleeping vs doing it when everyone's busy posting, there was literally no one else awake at that time plus I love to write quickly :P I love blogging on here.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, forkyfork said:

last summer's euro seasonal forecast wasn't perfect but it did catch the blocky idea. look what it's showing for this summer :wub:

Jun 2023 (T+2952)
Composite Plot

Jun 2024 (T+2952)

Dont care just gimme another sandy. Knock out internet access hopefully. Lol

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, IrishRob17 said:

So the theory is if one multi-posts in the middle of the night when no one is around then no one sees it? That's been debunked. 

Nooo, it's that they wouldn't be multiple posts if they happened during the day (or at any normal time) because there would be a lot of other people posting in between.

Yet another snowfall opportunity--at least as promised by the GFS--appears to be headed for life support and then its possible demise. A light event still remains plausible, but worries that such an event could also collapse abound. Tweeted calls for the 1961 Kennedy Inaugural storm and 1969 Lindsay storm, extreme 46-day snow maps, and calls for 0-degree readings in New York City, lie in ruins.

There are even suggestions that Fall 2023 never really ended. Instead, fall will complete a smooth seasonal transition to Spring 2024 sometime next month. Maybe Taylor Swift's next album will feature "Cruel Winter?"

So, what are area snow geese to do?

Rely on memories of past storms? Those memories are growing hazier with the passage of time. What about younger members?

Maybe the local art gallery or museum can refresh memories or remind one of what a snowy landscape looks like.

image.png.dc4ffc3785ad5e2703954123f9ca7912.png

And maybe Winter 2023-24 can muster up the ingredients needed for a decent snowfall before spring takes hold for good.

• Sad 1

15 minutes ago, donsutherland1 said:

Yet another snowfall opportunity--at least as promised by the GFS--appears to be headed for life support and then its possible demise. A light event still remains plausible, but worries that such an event could also collapse abound. Tweeted calls for the 1961 Kennedy Inaugural storm and 1969 Lindsay storm, extreme 46-day snow maps, and calls for 0-degree readings in New York City, lie in ruins.

There are even suggestions that Fall 2023 never really ended. Instead, fall will complete a smooth seasonal transition to Spring 2024 sometime next month. Maybe Taylor Swift's next album will feature "Cruel Winter?"

Rely on memories of past storms? Those memories are growing hazier with the passage of time. What about younger members?

Maybe the local art gallery or museum can refresh memories or remind one of what a snowy landscape looks like.

And maybe Winter 2023-24 can muster up the ingredients needed for a decent snowfall before spring takes hold for good.

Than you Don. A poignant illustration as is this: Stay well, as always ….

IMG_7144.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, donsutherland1 said:

They brought in January 1961 into this too? LMAO Why not February 1961? January 1961 was the least of the three big storms that winter.