Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Extended summer stormlover74 future snow hole banter thread 23

BxEngine

4 minutes ago, Nibor said:

How is this a human thought? 

I mean when I'm online I'm thinking of looking at weather maps, talking on social media, gaming, or reading something related to science or photography usually.... I only watch TV before I go to sleep.  It's a way to relax your mind and not think.  That's the only time I ever watch anything (sports included)

1 hour ago, LibertyBell said:

https://www.cnn.com/2024/01/13/sport/peacocks-nfl-game-analysis-spt-intl/index.html

good to see the media calling out the NFL

CNN  — 

The NFL may have finally gone too far. In a move that many critics are calling “greedy” – and with ESPN analyst and famed sports radio host Chris “Mad Dog” Russo going as far as saying the league is “being a pig” – they’ve actually committed to doing something that will likely ensure that far fewer people watch a playoff game.

What do I mean?

In an extremely unusual move, the Kansas City Chiefs vs. the Miami Dolphins game on Saturday night is free only to the people in these teams’ home television markets. All other people will have to tune in to the $5.99 a month Peacock streaming service to enjoy the game.

A look at the evidence suggests those who are upset with the NFL are right to be angry, and the NFL’s arguments for putting this game on Peacock don’t really hold up.

The NFL has claimed it’s an “experiment” and that streaming is the future. They point to the fact that they’ve been streaming regular season Thursday night games on Amazon Prime for a few seasons. The viewership for those streaming games were pretty good this season, especially among young people.

All of that is or may be true, but what the NFL is doing with the Peacock playoff game is something quite different.

First off, this is only the second time in over 50 years that an NFL playoff game is not available in every part of the country for free. Some might point out that there have been playoff games in recent seasons on cable (i.e. on ESPN). Those matchups, however, are almost always simulcast on ABC, which is available for free.

Crazy they wouldn't have an option for non-peacock customers like the Thursday night games on Prime.

But you can use Streameast.io to stream it from the Internet. I don't have cable and stream every sporting event from this site.  Easy to watch on my TV with Google Chromecast cast from my phone or computer. 

• Thanks 1

Crazy they wouldn't have an option for non-peacock customers like the Thursday night games on Prime.
But you can use Streameast.io to stream it from the Internet. I don't have cable and stream every sporting event from this site.  Easy to watch on my TV with Google Chromecast cast from my phone or computer. 

And it’s free? I can’t believe you would say that.
2c1b8077b7271322cc6cdf70f76ae466.jpg

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, IrishRob17 said:

I heard yesterday that they are allowing people to bring in cardboard. According to Tiki Barber yesterday it keeps your feet warmer if you put the cardboard under your feet. Never heard that before but makes perfect sense. In 2022 we were at the Boston College/Notre Dame game that had the snow squall roll through, awesome experience but our feet were the coldest part, would’ve loved to have some cardboard that day. 

One of the things I’ve learned from backpacking is that the ground is the sneakiest enemy when it comes to staying warm. Cold hard compacted ground will just suck the heat from your body. Thats why it’s good to get a sleeping pad that has a really high r value to it. Anything that can create separation helps and corrugated cardboard, while really basic, can probably add a degree of r value insulation from concrete flooring. 

• Like 2

One of the things I’ve learned from backpacking is that the ground is the sneakiest enemy when it comes to staying warm. Cold hard compacted ground will just suck the heat from your body. Thats why it’s good to get a sleeping pad that has a really high r value to it. Anything that can create separation helps and corrugated cardboard, while really basic, can probably add a degree of r value insulation from concrete flooring. 

Have you tried camping at hiltons

• Haha 2

18 hours ago, Nibor said:

Don’t you like tennis? 

Forky criticizes people for liking sports, yet he was at the US Open this summer. Too funny. 

I see he actually went to the sports forum to give Rjay's wildcard round NFL picks a weenie, lol. He sure loves to troll. 

1 minute ago, winterwx21 said:

Forky criticizes people for liking sports, yet he was at the US Open this summer. Too funny. 

I see he actually went to the sports forum to give Rjay's wildcard round NFL picks a weenie, lol. He sure loves to troll. 

Screenshot_20240114_113939_Chrome.jpg

• Haha 1
  • Weenie 2

2 hours ago, LibertyBell said:

Plus heat has great historical value for us number geeks, there's just an amazing feeling of accomplishment when you hit 100 degrees

I actually enjoyed the 0° with 40 mph gusts on the LB boardwalk in Jan 85 more than the 100° with 75° dewpoint in the same spot in July 99.° In the summer heat you can only take off so many clothes but in the winter you can layer up quite a bit. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bluewave said:

I actually enjoyed the 0° with 40 mph gusts on the LB boardwalk in Jan 85 more than the 100° with 75° dewpoint in the same spot in July 99.° In the summer heat you can only take off so many clothes but in the winter you can layer up quite a bit. 

when it's really cold it doesn't matter how many clothes you wear though.

my benchmark for heat is actually July 2010, that was enjoyable, low humidity and 100 degrees plus, I think even you were impressed with how it got so hot with so little humidity lol

32 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

when it's really cold it doesn't matter how many clothes you wear though.

my benchmark for heat is actually July 2010, that was enjoyable, low humidity and 100 degrees plus, I think even you were impressed with how it got so hot with so little humidity lol

My favorite temperature for long distance bike riding back on the Long Beach boardwalk was the 70s. My personal record was a 40 mile ride. Once the temperature got over 90° or under 20° my maximum distance would fall to around 5 miles. 

• Like 2

Three homes were destroyed in Grindavik after a small fissure opened inside the town border and flowed into the first row of homes. Pretty surreal image:

image.jpeg.865bd1631efc2c20ea3194850f80e3dc.jpeg

The good news is that, similar to the last event, activity is waning 24-48 hours after the start time. 

The bad news is that Grindavik will have to deal with this for the foreseeable future, as repeated dike intrusions with some leading to eruptions will be the pattern going forward. The only similar event in recent history was the Krafla fires in North Iceland in the 70’s / 80’s, where the magma output increased substantially over time. 

Krafla is a large central volcano with a magma chamber whereas most of the Reykjanes systems are sort of monogenic fields where there is no central storage and magma is sourced from the deep mantle directly. However, we know a large sill formed around the Grindavik area which has fed the two recent eruptions here, and that sill is sort of acting as a quasi magma chamber. 

Can’t overstate how significant this is in real time, as the area hasn’t erupted in 800-1000 years. As the whole of the Reykjanes volcanic systems begin to awaken rolling forward, the most densely populated region of Iceland will have to contend with some pretty significant hazards over the coming decades. 

• Like 1