Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Extended summer stormlover74 future snow hole banter thread 23

BxEngine

On 11/8/2023 at 10:32 PM, donsutherland1 said:

Annual public service announcement: Beware of long-range maps (especially those calling for cold and snow) and proclamations of imminent sudden or major stratospheric warming events on social media. Beyond two weeks, the maps have little skill. Beyond 7-10 days, forecasts for stratospheric warming events also have low skill.

image.thumb.png.01a23d970fa8d586a243c07bf0373c32.png

The final map. Cold anomalies were widespread, but the coldest anomalies were centered in the Plains States westward not the Southeast.

image.gif.660d1f400183a4ed16231d82ce42511f.gif

18 minutes ago, uofmiami said:

FSU has good D but if they played the other teams that made it they would get destroyed IMO.  It was ugly the last 2 games watching FSU's offense try to move the ball.  At least next year 12 teams are in the field, so this theoretically doesn't happen.

I agree but leaving them out after they did everything they were supposed to do is rough. 

• Like 1

Unusual larger explosive event from Marapi today (not to be confused with Mt Merapi). This volcano doesn’t normally do eruptions like this, large for the volcano and notable on a yearly basis, but not large large.

https://watchers.news/2023/12/03/high-level-eruption-at-marapi-volcano-ash-to-15-km-50-000-feet-a-s-l-indonesia/

marapi1.jpg

Very photogenic eruption column. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Volcanic Winter said:

Unusual larger explosive event from Marapi today (not to be confused with Mt Merapi). This volcano doesn’t normally do eruptions like this, large for the volcano and notable on a yearly basis, but not large large.

https://watchers.news/2023/12/03/high-level-eruption-at-marapi-volcano-ash-to-15-km-50-000-feet-a-s-l-indonesia/

marapi1.jpg

Very photogenic eruption column. 

2 hours ago, BxEngine said:

Thats IrishRob after 3 Heady toppers and a taco bell run.

If that’s the case, Rob will have to go solo for awhile. As always …..

• Like 2

Join News12 Long Island a freelance Meteorologist/Weather Presenter! Elevate weather information across platforms with clarity and engagement. Bring your passion for meteorology and shape the ultimate viewer experience! Details here: #WeatherPresenter

https://www.mediabistro.com/jobs/altice-usa/job/107104719-meteorologist-freelance?fbclid=IwAR0Lr8MG0eIdYhf4Qxpttz196nYvj64fkrUi77-JVmz_pZvWvvi0D-aGMbo

4 hours ago, Stormlover74 said:

Join News12 Long Island a freelance Meteorologist/Weather Presenter! Elevate weather information across platforms with clarity and engagement. Bring your passion for meteorology and shape the ultimate viewer experience! Details here: #WeatherPresenter

https://www.mediabistro.com/jobs/altice-usa/job/107104719-meteorologist-freelance?fbclid=IwAR0Lr8MG0eIdYhf4Qxpttz196nYvj64fkrUi77-JVmz_pZvWvvi0D-aGMbo

Awesome, that was my dream as kid, but I do not have the math skills for a meteorology degree. It’s basically a math degree. I was able to pull off a bs In economics however. And that degree tells me, that, the salary sucks. Who can afford to live on Long Island with that salary range. (Not putting anyone down if you make less then that)

3 minutes ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

Awesome, that was my dream as kid, but I do not have the math skills for a meteorology degree. It’s basically a math degree. I was able to pull off a bs In economics however. And that degree tells me, that, the salary sucks. Who can afford to live on Long Island with that salary range. (Not putting anyone down if you make less then that)

been recently thinking i should go back to school and try studying meteorology. facing the world with a degree in photography is kinda tricky. then i remembered i absolutely suck at math. dream, out the window

19 minutes ago, vegan_edible said:

been recently thinking i should go back to school and try studying meteorology. facing the world with a degree in photography is kinda tricky. then i remembered i absolutely suck at math. dream, out the window

That’s the thing, your going past Calc 3, and into the world of differential equations and discrete 

math. My roommate in college was a math wiz and couldn’t handle discrete math. It’s when the formulas fill the blackboard. That’s really what it takes for a meteo degree. Personally I think it’s super archaic. Understanding the bigger picture should be what it takes, not doing equations with a slide rule. 

12 minutes ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

That’s the thing, your going past Calc 3, and into the world of differential equations and discrete 

math. My roommate in college was a math wiz and couldn’t handle discrete math. It’s when the formulas fill the blackboard. That’s really what it takes for a meteo degree. Personally I think it’s super archaic. Understanding the bigger picture should be what it takes, not doing equations with a slide rule. 

I was taking diff eq for the first time this fall… not fun (at least for me), especially when you don’t have the greatest professor, I had to withdraw.

On 12/3/2023 at 12:29 PM, Rjay said:

Oof FSU @BxEngine

I was actually in the Gaylord Texan on Sunday morning, not as part of the CFP Committee clearly but to see ‘ICE featuring The Grinch’ which was pretty incredible, just google it but I digress.  While walking through the place we came across two women decked out in FSU gear with signs and everything.  I asked them if they were related to @BxEngine to which I got blank stares and “Who?”  My wife then reminded me that we had tickets for the ICE thing and we didn’t have time to find out if some ladies were related to that weenie.  

GO IRISH!  Who have essentially no receivers for the bowl game…

• Haha 2

20 hours ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

I was horrible at math and had to take remedial math in college, but made it through Calc 4.  I think the multiple blackboard equations were not necessary.  If you wanted to advance the science, then yes, or if you wanted to program for the models.  My head spun for sure, but luckily, many of my professors could notice that glazed look and call on me to bring me back in.  I didn't stay in the field long because I didn't want to work nights for minimal pay or have to work for free for over a year as an intern.  One of my professors suggested to the class to minor in meteorology, as the field was pretty small and not well paying for the effort in education. He did not last too long after that, but was a heckuva synoptic meteorologist! 

I noticed this nicely blooming plant behind a row house fence Christmas lights. It’s December 9th, some roses are still blooming but this impressed me. To me it looks like some type of Camilla. Perhaps confused by our North Mid Atlantic December, thinking it was a South Mid Atlantic March.
Maybe Don or any flora aficionado member can enlighten me. Thank you and stay well everyone. As always ….

IMG_0220.jpeg

• Like 2

Last call for two snowfall contests (deadlines for both are end of Sunday 10th)

(1) On our site, in general interest forum, you can enter a nine-location snowfall contest in the Dec 2023 contest thread.

(2) At link below, you can enter 25th annual northeast US snowfall contest for 25 locations in the eastern US, as well as storm forecast contests announced on site when available...

http://newxsfc.blogspot.com