• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Last Hurrah Obs Thread: 3/13-15/23

WxWatcher007

My apologies for the delay in updating here, but we had a nearly 24 hour long Internet and phone outage and I have no cell service here.

Anyway, I had a 42.1" storm total with a 4.44" liquid equivalent (LE). I cleared my snow boards every 24 hours at ~4 pm. I had 1.0" (0.05" LE) on Monday, 30.4" (3.43" LE) yesterday, and another 10.7" (0.96" LE) today. LE on Tuesday and Wednesday was found by coring the snow on top of the snow board using the outer cylinder of the Stratus rain gauge and then melting it down as this amount of snow easily overflows the outer cylinder multiple times over. The melted water was then measured with the funnel and inner cylinder. Given the LE, the snow has a definite blue tinge to it. Dry but dense at this elevation. Paste in the valleys (where my electric and telecom services come from).

I measure multiple times a day but only clear the board once in 24 hours. These numbers represent the maximum amount recorded during that 24 hour period. In the case of Monday and Tuesday's measurements, the maximum depth was recorded at the 4 pm observation time as it was actively snowing, today it was 10.7" at 10 am. It stopped snowing around this time and by 4 pm it had settled to just under 10" on the board.

Given the liquid equivalent, I probably would've had over 48" if I cleared the board every 6 hours. Total depth on the ground is 55" as we had ~18" before the storm. 

90B221B0-E76D-4FFE-BC5B-0F3B8B8C7FB4.jpeg

D6BD5786-8FB0-40F1-91FF-FB5204544C7E.jpeg

732FCA3D-8ACC-4D85-B9E9-DC683D86E327.jpeg

• Like 19
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, ORH_wxman said:

I remember jaffrey had 30 or 31” in the PNS but not sure their coop data got recorded. That was one of the last years the coop was even reporting iirc. 

Must not have been a Coop report, because I only see one snow report for March 2001 (14" on the 6th) and missing for the rest. Could be part of the reason why the Coop closed.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dendrite said:

That must have been a hell or a core to melt down. lol

I’m not sure how you even compressed that amount of paste in the stratus. Did it take 2 cores?

It took nearly 3. I pushed the cylinder into the snow as deep as the length of the cylinder and then used a spatula (as shown in the CoCoRaHS manual) to ensure the snow wouldn't fall out as I captured the core. I had to repeat 2 more times until I hit the board. The cores were then placed on a large metal baking pan to be brought inside for melting. I let them melt on top of the pellet stove for a while before measuring with the inner cylinder.

Screen Shot 2023-03-15 at 5.42.41 PM.png

• Like 6

1 minute ago, wxmanmitch said:

It took nearly 3. I pushed the cylinder into the snow as deep as the length of the cylinder and then used a spatula (as shown in the CoCoRaHS manual) to ensure the snow wouldn't fall out as I captured the core. I had to repeat 2 more times until I hit the board. The cores were then placed on a large metal baking pan to be brought inside for melting. I let them melt on top of the pellet stove for a while before measuring with the inner cylinder.

Screen Shot 2023-03-15 at 5.42.41 PM.png

You should apply to become a cooperative observer 

• Like 5

29 minutes ago, dendrite said:

That must have been a hell of a core to melt down. lol

I’m not sure how you even compressed that amount of paste in the stratus. Did it take 2 cores?

That's when I would be aching for an 8 inch gauge. I built myself a coring tube from 4 inch PVC piping, but the 8 inch gauge can just hold more liquid for adding hot water for the melt.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Don’t forget to hit the beer cooler at the Brattleboro co-op on your way home.

At Prohibition Pig now for dinner and beers. Great spot. Hitting Hill Farmstead tomorrow for cans after meetings . This pack will last well into Napril . Especially if they get those next two storms 

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

At Prohibition Pig now for dinner and beers. Great spot. Hitting Hill Farmstead tomorrow for cans after meetings . This pack will last well into Napril . Especially if they get those next two storms 

Ha you finally get it. So many years you tried to melt it all away.

• Haha 2

16 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

How far is the stake from the snow plot? Same elevation?

No, the plot is about 700ft lower and to the north. The COOP stake is off the upper Toll Road. The High Road plot is over off the Gondola top. It’s generally more sheltered.  They both though are in the zone that gets buried.  There’s a whole upper East side bowl almost that stretches like 1+ mile across the top 1,000-1,500ft that just gets crushed to me.

I’m seeing Smuggs reporting 34”, Bolton 32”, Max River Glen 32”… I don’t know how they measured or if they did, but I take pride in knowing we do Mansfield right with consistent data points.

To be honest, the one thing I’ve always told people here is it isn’t even about the amount of snowfall in inches. It’s about measuring it in the same location all the time so you know what the value means. Like if the plot has 5”, people know how that skis around the mountain.  If it has 17”, it’s holy shit good.  But the trick to developing a meaningful snow value for skiing and riding is to be consistent with the location.  Not skiing around and taking numbers from wherever trail you thought was deepest.

The Summit stake is the same. Depths vary all over the place. But that is the same exact location all the time so we know what the value means.  To me that’s how you tell a story, it has to be consistent.

• Like 9