• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
March 13-14th Nor'easter Threat

NJwx85

Some totals to envy coming out of Albany office.

https://forecast.weather.gov/product.php?site=ALY&issuedby=ALY&product=PNS&format=ci

also from Boston office

https://forecast.weather.gov/product.php?site=NWS&issuedby=BOX&product=PNS&format=CI&version=1&glossary=1&highlight=off

I think we can say the pattern delivered and blocking produced.  Just did not work out for the best in our area.  Pretty much classic Miller B just came together too far north to deliver the goods for this forum.  As has been the case all season best totals were along and north of Rt. 80 and west of 287.  The 7-9" totals across Sussex County were impressive.  Entire forum would have done better if temperatures were about 5-7 degrees colder or if it was about a month earlier.  Air mass needed to be just slightly colder and we would have had a better outcome for NYC and the immediate burbs.  Not to mention ratios would have been better, especially inland.

• Like 5

31 minutes ago, MANDA said:

Some totals to envy coming out of Albany office.

https://forecast.weather.gov/product.php?site=ALY&issuedby=ALY&product=PNS&format=ci

also from Boston office

https://forecast.weather.gov/product.php?site=NWS&issuedby=BOX&product=PNS&format=CI&version=1&glossary=1&highlight=off

I think we can say the pattern delivered and blocking produced.  Just did not work out for the best in our area.  Pretty much classic Miller B just came together too far north to deliver the goods for this forum.  As has been the case all season best totals were along and north of Rt. 80 and west of 287.  The 7-9" totals across Sussex County were impressive.  Entire forum would have done better if temperatures were about 5-7 degrees colder or if it was about a month earlier.  Air mass needed to be just slightly colder and we would have had a better outcome for NYC and the immediate burbs.  Not to mention ratios would have been better, especially inland.

The pattern delivered and produced but this is not a pattern that would benefit the coast or the city, that much was apparent from the beginning.  Besides a few blip model runs, this was always a N/W pattern.  Too little too late-- the theme of the entire winter.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, mannynyc said:

Obviously disappointing we didn't get a significant snowfall in NYC, not that one was expected, but walking outside with the snow falling this evening really reminded me why I loved winter. There was something about walking through the snowfall and seeing it gleam in the light that made me really happy. 

so you saw it hang on until nightfall? it ended here around 4.

3 minutes ago, Winterweatherlover said:

Same.

somehow both JFK and LGA eeked out 0.1" of snowfall

there was also this measurement that made me laugh

:3/14/2023,0500 PM, NY, SUFFOLK, 3.6 NE CALVERTON, , , 40.9619, -72.7158, SNOW_24, 0.001, INCH, COOP, 24 HOUR SNOWFALL,
:3/14/2023,0400 PM, NY, SUFFOLK, MOUNT SINAI, , , 40.9331, -73.0192, SNOW_24, 0.001, INCH, COOP, 24 HOUR SNOWFALL,

I take it 0.001 inch means Trace, as I also saw this:

3/14/2023,0400 PM, NY, NEW YORK (MANHATTAN), CENTRAL PARK, , , 40.7779, -73.9679, SNOW_24, 0.001, INCH, OFFICIAL NWS OBS, 24 HOUR SNOWFALL,

Here are the JFK and LGA measurements

:3/14/2023,0400 PM, NY, QUEENS, 1 S KENNEDY AIRPORT, , , 40.6445, -73.7799, SNOW_24, 0.10, INCH, OFFICIAL NWS OBS, 24 HOUR SNOWFALL,
:3/14/2023,0400 PM, NY, QUEENS, NYC/LA GUARDIA, , , 40.7779, -73.8762, SNOW_24, 0.1, INCH, PUBLIC, 24 HOUR SNOWFALL,

and the Newark trace

:3/14/2023,0400 PM, NJ, ESSEX, 1 N NEWARK AIRPORT, , , 40.6962, -74.1729, SNOW_24, 0.001, INCH, OFFICIAL NWS OBS, 24 HOUR SNOWFALL,

and the Bridgeport trace

:3/14/2023,0400 PM, CT, FAIRFIELD, BRIDGEPORT AIRPORT, , , 41.1634, -73.1288, SNOW_24, 0.001, INCH, OFFICIAL NWS OBS, 24 HOUR SNOWFALL,

5 hours ago, Allsnow said:

Same here under this final band And it finally hits 32 lol 

Hey - did you measure at all?  I'm not 100% sure what to do.  We had about 0.6" on the board and most of the grass and the 1" on the car I took a pic of (and not much on some other lawns that were likely more in the sun), when I left around 5:15 pm to go to the RU game and got back around 9:30 pm and checked the board, which I had wiped before I left, and had another 0.4" on it, so I'm thinking of calling it an even 1.0".  I was monitoring the radar after I left and it looks like Metuchen stayed pretty well under that band for a few hours after I left.  I also see a report of 1.4" from Edison, so 1.0" seems reasonable.  Thoughts?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Winterweatherlover said:

The RGEM never had like more than an inch for NYC but I’ll admit it busted way too low further north. 

Every model basically sucked with this storm and the RGEM/CMC were no exception. Besides being bad for areas well north and west, some parts of Long Island had snow which I don't think they had correct either. They are  consistently too warm and dry. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, RU848789 said:

Hey - did you measure at all?  I'm not 100% sure what to do.  We had about 0.6" on the board and most of the grass and the 1" on the car I took a pic of (and not much on some other lawns that were likely more in the sun), when I left around 5:15 pm to go to the RU game and got back around 9:30 pm and checked the board, which I had wiped before I left, and had another 0.4" on it, so I'm thinking of calling it an even 1.0".  I was monitoring the radar after I left and it looks like Metuchen stayed pretty well under that band for a few hours after I left.  I also see a report of 1.4" from Edison, so 1.0" seems reasonable.  Thoughts?

Most likely, 0.6" is the correct total for the day.  You shouldn't have wiped the board.

To be fair, this kind of slop isn't easy to measure.

7 hours ago, RU848789 said:

Definitely. We got caught under that band for a few hours. Very odd accumulation pattern around town. Some lawns looked like 1-2 others liked it just rained all day. 

Awful, that RU isn’t in the tournament. Those losses at the end of the year hurt so much 

Morning thoughts…

Today will be sunny but cool. High temperatures will reach the middle 40s in most of the region. Likely high temperatures around the region include:

New York City (Central Park): 45°

Newark: 47°

Philadelphia: 48°

It will turn milder tomorrow. 

Normals:

New York City: 30-Year: 49.3°; 15-Year: 50.0°

Newark: 30-Year: 50.4°; 15-Year: 51.3

Philadelphia: 30-Year: 52.3°; 15-Year: 52.8°

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, donsutherland1 said:

Morning thoughts…

Today will be sunny but cool. High temperatures will reach the middle 40s in most of the region. Likely high temperatures around the region include:

New York City (Central Park): 45°

Newark: 47°

Philadelphia: 48°

It will turn milder tomorrow. 

Normals:

New York City: 30-Year: 49.3°; 15-Year: 50.0°

Newark: 30-Year: 50.4°; 15-Year: 51.3

Philadelphia: 30-Year: 52.3°; 15-Year: 52.8°

Don, when you have time could you possibly list the 3 airport plus NYC totals since this might have been our last accumulations of the season?  Thanks!  I believe LGA is the only one over 3" (thanks to that December storm) and NYC is at 2.3" and JFK is now at 2.1"  I believe EWR is over NYC's total but also under 3"  These could be the new record snowfall totals at NYC and EWR (both breaking their records from 1972-73), but not at JFK or LGA I believe?  The latter two still have their record low snowfall totals from 1972-73 intact?

so who got the most snow you guys know? new england really got it it looked like from the radar. Amazing storm too bad it was just a little too north for us and it just wasn't cold enough still ended up with 4 inches but man this could've been a KU for us!

11 minutes ago, wilsonvoid1 said:

so who got the most snow you guys know? new england really got it it looked like from the radar. Amazing storm too bad it was just a little too north for us and it just wasn't cold enough still ended up with 4 inches but man this could've been a KU for us!

I would like to know as well.  As of around noon yesterday, somebody on the Board posted close to 2 feet for some town in Massachusetts?