Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 13-14th Nor'easter Threat

NJwx85

13 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

The initial middle finger low into CT screwed them just like us. Boundary layer was torched and never recovered since we had no cold air source. 

Provably shafted them more, we wouldn’t have done too well regardless but they would have got hammered if not for the low that went into CT. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

But not me! I never would’ve thought I’d get more snow than them in this setup. 

Not that surprised. Your area seems to for whatever reason always be the jackpot in the NYC metro area in marginal events. 

I’m not surprised Boston got almost nothing because of that second low in CT. 

6 minutes ago, Winterweatherlover said:

Not that surprised. Your area seems to for whatever reason always be the jackpot in the NYC metro area in marginal events. 

Eastern Orange County has that title. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Winterweatherlover said:

I’m not surprised about SW CT because all of Westchester south of 287 nothing. 

lol I had to correct TWC this morning, they said that Stony Brook is 1500-2000 ft above sea level and that's why they got 8-12 inches of snow (WTF-- they had eastern Suffolk painted in 5-8 and 8-12 inches of snow!)  This is what I wrote to them:

Stony Brook is not at 1500-2000 feet! No place on Long Island is even at 500 feet! And where did those 5-8 and 8-12 inch accumulations on Long Island come from- I dont see anything over 2.1 inches on the NWS report!

9 hours ago, RU848789 said:

Why wouldn't I have wiped the board after 6 hours? One is supposed to do that and combine measurements.  

That standard is only used at airports/FAA. Airports have different requirements unrelated to climatology.

For all others board is wiped once in a 24 hour period and snowfall is reported as maximum depth on the board during that time.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, snywx said:

Suffolk is immediate metro? Eastern orange is roughly the same distance to the city center as those are out East 

They say that because they're part of the coastal plain.  How long does it take to get from Eastern Orange to the city by the way?  When I worked out in Babylon/West Islip, it took me an hour to get into the city.

10 minutes ago, Winterweatherlover said:

Sorry I should have clarified immediate metro area. Yes Orange County seems to be the jackpot zone for the metro area as a whole. 

just say coastal plain, because the climate rapidly changes as you go inland.  I see that as I head west basically once 20 minutes beyond the Lincoln Tunnel you see snow on the side of the roads lol

I think NYC and Long Island are mostly in the same climate zone and NW NJ is two climate zones colder than we are.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, LibertyBell said:

They say that because they're part of the coastal plain.  How long does it take to get from Eastern Orange to the city by the way?  When I worked out in Babylon/West Islip, it took me an hour to get into the city.

Terrible logic

from Harriman to the GWB it’s 40 mins straight down the palisades 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, snywx said:

Terrible logic

from Harriman to the GWB it’s 40 mins straight down the palisades 

Lucky lol.  The roads on Long Island are horrendous.

In a way it makes sense though, as the climate does rapidly change as soon as you head inland.  It's definitely a completely different climate zone even a little west of the Lincoln Tunnel.

I think that's probably what he's subconsciously thinking, as the distance thing doesn't really work because Suffolk County is pretty far away from the city.

2 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

Lucky lol.  The roads on Long Island are horrendous.

In a way it makes sense though, as the climate does rapidly change as soon as you head inland.  It's definitely a completely different climate zone even a little west of the Lincoln Tunnel.

Absolutely but it doesn’t make it anymore metro than Rockland and orange county. Monroe/Woodbury/Harriman area is prob 35-40 miles NW of NYC as the crows fly

• Like 1

1 minute ago, snywx said:

Absolutely but it doesn’t make it anymore metro than Rockland and orange county

You're right, and parts of Suffolk County are even more rural.  If I didn't know where I was, I would have thought I was somewhere upstate with all the deer around lol.

It's also good to remember that the parts of Suffolk County that get the most snowfall also have a latitude advantage over NYC, so they really are like the northern suburbs in that way.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Winterweatherlover said:

People east of me did better where the band hung out longer. It just dumped for a while so it started accumulating. If the band sat over Nassau County it would’ve accumulated there too. Probably not over Midtown since my street never accumulated. If it was at night I would’ve had 3” easy. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

People east of me did better where the band hung out longer. It just dumped for a while so it started accumulating. If the band sat over Nassau County it would’ve accumulated there too. Probably not over Midtown since my street never accumulated. If it was at night I would’ve had 3” easy. 

I’m east of you and the snow didn’t really accumulate under that band. OKX reported only 0.6” at 8 PM after hours of heavy snow.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

I think it's 41 or 42 inches for Boston and for NYC it's about 26 inches (or 28 inches if you use the entire climate record).

You could think what you want, no one can stop you LOL, but NYC'S 30 year average is 29.8 inches and it's 153 year average is 28.7 inches. I know you like long term averages so let's say 29 then.

I don't know exactly what Bostons 30 year average is but I'm pretty sure it's close to 49 inches.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CPcantmeasuresnow said:

You could think what you want, no one can stop you LOL, but NYC'S 30 year average is 29.8 inches and it's 153 year average is 28.7 inches. I know you like long term averages so let's say 29 then.

I don't know exactly what Bostons 30 year average is but I'm pretty sure it's close to 49 inches.

I would like it to be 30 inches lol, that's a nice round number.  That 30 year average is so unbearably close to 30 inches lol, so let's just keep it at 30 inches.

Boston's average also went up with the new 30 year averages, but I don't think it got over 45....not sure what it is now but the old 30 year averages were around 42.

58 minutes ago, snywx said:

Suffolk is immediate metro? Eastern orange is roughly the same distance to the city center as those are out East 

Huntington is far western Suffolk so not that far from NYC. Anyway I don’t really get why people NW get so bothered by not being referred to as immediate NYC Metro? Your climo is so drastically different and in a good way for snow lovers. 

1 hour ago, snowman19 said:

Huge bust-a-rama for them, even NWS Boston had a foot plus. I only saw 2” up here in Sloatsburg, grass and car tops only, NWS Upton was calling for 4-6 at one point

Yeah just the day before the storm they had Boston at 8-12 and they didn’t even get an inch. Just a few degrees too warm, the dual low scenario screwed us in eastern mass. If it stayed one low we would have gotten a lot more than we did.

• Like 1