Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 13-14th Nor'easter Threat

NJwx85

9 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

Where we are will get blitzed by easterly winds before anything hits the ground which will likely be rain since it’s coming from 45 degree waters. 

If the storm is near Nantucket or the Cape, I would think we will get more of a Northerly wind. The problem would be how heavy the precip is.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, lee59 said:

If the storm is near Nantucket or the Cape, I would think we will get more of a Northerly wind. The problem would be how heavy the precip is.

That depends on how strong the low gets and moving on a good track. If it’s like the GFS/Euro we won’t get much of anything since it will bomb too late or too far east. We really need a NAM like outcome. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, jm1220 said:

That depends on how strong the low gets and moving on a good track. If it’s like the GFS/Euro we won’t get much of anything since it will bomb too late or too far east. We really need a NAM like outcome. 

Yep I've often seen storms passing over Nantucket or the Cape give us rain because the way they got there and how they strengthened (or didn't) wasn't what we needed for snow.

1 minute ago, Stormlover74 said:

Like this winter hasn't been bad enough we may get shutout from what was supposed to be a great pattern with hours and hours of wasted tracking. At least 01-02 and 19-20 sucked and ended early 

At least we finally got a couple light events near the end of the winter. 4 inches of snow is better than nothing. lol

1 minute ago, winterwx21 said:

At least we finally got a couple light events near the end of the winter. 4 inches of snow is better than nothing. lol

It won’t be though. Yesterday I had 4” on my car and maybe an inch on grass. And it was all gone by this time yesterday.

1 minute ago, Metasequoia said:

The model run to run consistency is pretty bad. I agree with Rjay that we still don't have a good handle on this storm. The setup looks sensitive to modest changes. I could see the Euro swinging heavy snow back into the City on the next run. 

That's true of the ukie euro and nam. Rgem and gfs never really got on board

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, winterwx21 said:

Central Park still has a good shot at futility. If this fails which you have to say looks more likely than not at this point it’s an F. I have 7.5” with roughly a 35” seasonal average. Huge F. 

• Like 3

Just now, jm1220 said:

Central Park still has a good shot at futility. If this fails which you have to say looks more likely than not at this point it’s an F. I have 7.5” with roughly a 35” seasonal average. Huge F. 

Yea, and the F doesn’t stand for fail

• Haha 2

28 minutes ago, ILoveWinter said:

I don't thing people necessarily trust the NAM (outside of 24h) but we had basically gone all winter without one of those classic "we've been NAMd" runs so it illicited a reaction from us that we haven't had in a year or so!

And it was also following every run of every model improving from their previous run...and the first one up of the 12z suite. So at that moment in time, although likely overblown, seemed to be an additional indicator of much more improvement

• Like 2

Just now, NJwx85 said:

It won’t be though. Yesterday I had 4” on my car and maybe an inch on grass. And it was all gone by this time yesterday.

I enjoyed the few inches that we got (we had a 2" event and 1.5" event here) even though they melted very quickly. They were pretty scenes with everything coated with the wet snow. Better than seeing no snow at all for the entire winter, but obviously it was still a horrendous winter for snow lovers. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, winterwx21 said:

I enjoyed the few inches that we got (we had a 2" event and 1.5" event here) even though they melted very quickly. They were pretty scenes with everything coated with the wet snow. Better than seeing no snow at all for the entire winter, but obviously it was still a horrendous winter for snow lovers. 

I had a 6” storm the week before last and one storm in December.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

Yup. It’s a lock now. Them not measuring anything last week hurt. We are  too late in the year for snow to accumulate in the city proper 

10 minutes ago, Allsnow said:

Yup. It’s a lock now. Them not measuring anything last week hurt. We are  too late in the year for snow to accumulate in the city proper 

Spread in ECENS suggests accumulating snow, while unlikely, is not impossible even in Manhattan.  Still a big spread meaning butterflies (monarchs are back in Houston) can change the outcome.  I'm still rooting for the students at St. Martin of Tours in Amityville (students also from Massapequa and Copaigue, even a few from Lindenhurst).  I started in 1970, we had years w/o snow days.  I think 3rd grade there wasn't one.  Now, January and February 1978 were golden.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, lee59 said:

The problem with this system from the beginning has been the lack of cold air. I think it can still be a major Nor'easter, with or without the snow.

Typhoon Tip on NE forum noted the lack of a clear low level focus, because the antecedent air mass is stale, is why the models are still having large divergence between runs and on the ensembles.  He said that in 3 or 4 paragraphs.  A colder initial air mass and a sharp gradient between land and maritime airmass would mean where the low forms and tracks would be constrained.  I look at NE, Grandma, dead now 20 years, lived across the street from the North Quincy MBTA station and the arcing and sparking (power flashes, really) when heavy wet snow was falling on the third rail was just awesome.  The lights in the trains would be blinking in and out.  Probably bad for the motors...

• Like 1

Can we stop with the whole if NYC gets nothing this is a nothing storm? There are parts of the sub forum that will have quite a bit of snow. If it doesn’t snow in your neighborhood hop on a metro north train and go to the snow. It really isn’t that hard. I get that we all want something big but it is mid March and it is hard to do something big surrounded by water. Still looks pretty impressive for the mountains and upstate. 

• Like 5