joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The last hurrah? Putting all the eggs in the Tuesday 3/14 basket

Ginx snewx

5 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

You up?

I saw it posted/ linked to This thread this am around 8-9am

Would love Harv input as we are really all sitting around responding to the scattershot or model runs pour in and be all over the place 

I really enjoyed Oceanstwx post about Why he thought the 12z nam MSLP position made sense . I would assume if the General vorticity being tracked East off Carolinas is still meh then his opinion still stands but I felt like that really added to the thread .

1 hour ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

It is. Get a clue.

I mean storm wise sure, but major snow amounts aren’t happening in eastern sections like implied. 
48 hours out was way too much time to be so sure especially when everything has been so inconsistent. 
If that idea reverses in the next 2 cycles then major credit to you. Hope it does 

4 minutes ago, BombsAway1288 said:

I mean storm wise sure, but major snow amounts aren’t happening in eastern sections like implied. 
48 hours out was way too much time to be so sure especially when everything has been so inconsistent. 
If that idea reverses in the next 2 cycles then major credit to you. Hope it does 

I haven't issued a final map.

3 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

I saw it posted/ linked to This thread this am around 8-9am

Would love Harv input as we are really all sitting around responding to the scattershot or model runs pour in and be all over the place 

I really enjoyed Oceanstwx post about Why he thought the 12z nam MSLP position made sense . I would assume if the General vorticity being tracked East off Carolinas is still meh then his opinion still stands but I felt like that really added to the thread .

Well now we're getting into the fun nowcasting. Start looking at WV and seeing which models are closest to reality on placement of vorticity features. Obviously you can find the rotation of the upper lows themselves, but vort maxes will present as drying immediately upstream of the center (think ascent ahead and subsidence behind).

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4

1 minute ago, OceanStWx said:

Well now we're getting into the fun nowcasting. Start looking at WV and seeing which models are closest to reality on placement of vorticity features. Obviously you can find the rotation of the upper lows themselves, but vort maxes will present as drying immediately upstream of the center (think ascent ahead and subsidence behind).

Same here.

2 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

Anything you can glean from that at this stage 

23 minutes ago, HinghamBoss said:

Can someone get Harvey on camera to tell us how this is going to go?

Spoke to him earlier … he’s in the camp that this will dynamically over power BL thermal fields and that models are likely underselling those physical resolutions in the lowest levels  … not to be a dank, but he was actually agreeing with me – and I only say that really cause this whole situation is just starting to frustrate the shit out of me  

But it makes sense higher res tools are seeing it colder - we’re getting some colder looks as we get closer.  

It’s all a moot point however, if we can’t nail down where it’s actually going to be snowing for Christ sake

• Like 4
  • Thanks 7

Everyone of these models is jumping around every single cycle. Everyone of them is drastically different, and the same models are drastically different each run.

So, a question for the pros and very knowledgeable hobbyists, what actually makes sense here, with the ingredients we have coming together?  Tip eluded to this possibly coming together more cohesively and becoming much more of a problem(colder and snowier) than many models are showing currently for alot of the area. A lot of these runs don’t make sense. So maybe as Tip put it, we need to use some old fashioned meteorology to actually figure this out. 

A more cohesive storm that’s not chasing convection out to the Flemish cap that stalls near the cape does make more sense than these outlandish solutions we’ve been seeing.  Just thinking out loud here. 

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

Good info!

3 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

Everyone of these models is jumping around every single cycle. Everyone of them is drastically different, and the same models are drastically different each run.

So, a question for the pros and very knowledgeable hobbyists, what actually makes sense here, with the ingredients we have coming together?  Tip eluded to this possibly coming together more cohesively and becoming much more of a problem(colder and snowier) than many models are showing currently for alot of the area. A lot of these runs don’t make sense. So maybe as Tip put it, we need to use some old fashioned meteorology to actually figure this out. 

A more cohesive storm that’s not chasing convection out to the Flemish cap that stalls near the cape does make more sense than these outlandish solutions we’ve been seeing.  Just thinking out loud here. 

I think a cohesive storm traveling up and stalling near the elbow can happen ɓut all the pieces have to fit exactly. Now cast. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

Anything you can glean from that at this stage 

Nothing drastic, general look to vorticity appears right across guidance (but that's to be expected at hour 00). But guidance does seem to have initialized too high on heights for the vort max across southern Iowa.

Ensembles don't seem to be all that sensitive to that specific feature though. Not sure it is playing that large a role.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

I think a cohesive storm traveling up and stalling near the elbow can happen ɓut all the pieces have to fit exactly. Now cast. 

Oh for sure Steve, and that was part of my point. Obviously these things need to come together precisely, but some(a lot) of these runs are insanely messed up.  And I guess my point was, sometimes common sense and relying on what you’ve learned, and asking yourself(METS/knowledgeable hobbyists like yourself) what actually makes the most sense here? Since modeling is just off on a bender so far…and not providing any clear solutions yet. 

2 minutes ago, NotSureWeather said:

This is honestly crazy. Feel like literally nobody has any idea whats going on. Why does it almost seem like the models have gotten worse over the years?

climate change; atmospheric dynamics are evolving faster than the models can keep up!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 2
  • Weenie 2