Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 9-10 Winter Storm

madwx

1 hour ago, Stevo6899 said:

I dont think theres going to be much downriver but should get some pics on the way down. Im surprised at all the school closings. They didn't close most of the macomb schools ahead of the last event, but closed today while I think only an inch has fallen. I suppose the fact the heaviest snow is falling during rush hour is the reason.

I did enjoy my trip last week. Sold my house. No way i wouldve believed you if you told me 10 years ago id sell my house for what i did. Also I got to witness thundersnow, even tho the bigger totals were just to my west. It was a weird week, record heat in Florida to thundersnow.

Downriver doing good so far

8 minutes ago, michsnowfreak said:

It never gets old waking up and opening the curtains to a fresh Winter wonderland. It's really coming down and it's absolutely gorgeous outside. Nearing 4 inches already.

Screenshot_20230310_071805_Gallery.jpg

I’m in woodhaven now and I can say it’s about the same. Can’t wait to go to the woods for some pics. I agree something about waking up to a winter wonderland brings the kid out in us

• Like 2

1 hour ago, michsnowfreak said:

It never gets old waking up and opening the curtains to a fresh Winter wonderland. It's really coming down and it's absolutely gorgeous outside. Nearing 4 inches already.

Screenshot_20230310_071805_Gallery.jpg

Amen to that

The discussion out of the Detroit office this morning was less than hopeful for the higher end amounts, but they seem to be under doing those?

Edit… radar is already drying up

35 minutes ago, michsnowfreak said:

We have been killing it with scenery since late Jan. It's gorgeous out!
Jan 22 snowstorm 
Jan 25 snowstorm
Feb 22 ice storm
Mar 3 snowstorm 
Mar 10 snowstorm

What did you get with the prolonged Christmas event?  We had good 8" on the ground on Christmas day (of course it was very windy so 4"-12" spread with 2-3' drifts). 

Update on this storm IMBY:  Took my dog for a walk around 7AM and the flake size increased significantly (dime => quarter) so now we have over 3".   It was an awesome hour dog walk in the best snowfall rates here.  Flake size is dropping off now.  So it looks like end up with 4" maybe a bit more.  Good enough for me as this means this winter I am now right about average for snowfall.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Probably the most gorgeous snowfall we’ve had in as long as I can remember here in Hudsonville, southwest of Grand Rapids. Incredible flake stacking, what an over performer! Over a foot and counting on an elevated deck, and I’ve never seen 10 inches stack on a 1 inch wide deck railing!

I am making a mental note of the storm, to remind myself that not every storm underperforms. Should help with my psychological state moving forward.

23399036-DC5C-410B-8B61-7C276040E2AE.jpeg

EE81FB98-4E74-47E3-85F8-6E6CA1F8078A.jpeg

781CC375-4D02-4F08-BDC4-FB92A5486C67.jpeg

DB0E07D4-C181-4DA4-B0F3-9016361EE46C.jpeg

• Like 10

21 minutes ago, Owensnow said:

can someone please explain to me how it is that almost everyone of these events quits halfway through the forecasted event?

Woke up this morning, and it was snowing very nicely, and now already reduced to pixie dust with supposedly five more hours to go?

2ECE8E09-5AD6-4231-B9C4-B63955887DFA.gif

24 minutes ago, Toro99 said:

Probably the most gorgeous snowfall we’ve had in as long as I can remember here in Hudsonville, southwest of Grand Rapids. Incredible flake stacking, what an over performer! Over a foot and counting on an elevated deck, and I’ve never seen 10 inches stack on a 1 inch wide deck railing!

I am making a mental note of the storm, to remind myself that not every storm underperforms. Should help with my psychological state moving forward.

About 9" here at peak fluff.  I drops off a bit where I am, a bit NE from where you are.  It's probably going to shrink some in the next few hours as it warms above freezing.  The flakes are so large that it's not super dense, despite being a wet snow.  It has that lake effect dendrite quality, despite being synoptic in nature.

You could really see the elevated convergence zone just sitting over the line from just north of Holland to a little south of Lansing.

1 hour ago, Lightning said:

What did you get with the prolonged Christmas event?  We had good 8" on the ground on Christmas day (of course it was very windy so 4"-12" spread with 2-3' drifts). 

Update on this storm IMBY:  Took my dog for a walk around 7AM and the flake size increased significantly (dime => quarter) so now we have over 3".   It was an awesome hour dog walk in the best snowfall rates here.  Flake size is dropping off now.  So it looks like end up with 4" maybe a bit more.  Good enough for me as this means this winter I am now right about average for snowfall.  

We got a very drifty 2.4" Dec 23 then another 2.4" christmas eve/day. It was indeed gorgeous and perfectly timed.

• Thanks 1

With the 7.3 at RFD, was it a matter of the storm having more moisture or were the ratios closer to 10:1 than anticipated? The Kuchera maps leading up had been around 5, whereas the 10:1 maps were 6-8.
Ratios probably were close to 10:1 in the narrow corridor with the warning criteria totals. Certainly overperformed my expectations up there on amounts, but I'd say overall thoughts on how things would play out weren't bad.

If I had confidence in the amounts that were observed, particularly in central and northern McHenry County, would have issued the warning. Every event is a learning experience when you work in this field.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, SchaumburgStormer said:

Another “storm”, another brutal gradient. <3” here while RFD makes a run at 7 

Similar to 1/29 event. Amts increased quite a bit from far SE McHenry Co. up to the state line