Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
New England Met Spring 2023 Banter

Baroclinic Zone

5 hours ago, QCD17 said:

Goldenrod pollen does not normally cause allergic reactions.  Ragweed and mugwort are usually the culprits.

I'm almost immune to pollen allergies.  However, the year that the 5-acre field near the house was plowed and came up in pure dense goldenrod, I had a 2-week-plus period of waking at 2 or 3 AM and coughing for 3/4 hour until my muscles ached.  Next year was much less intense and then other things took over much of that area.  As I've never had anything like it before or after, I think the immense density of goldenrod pollen triggered the symptoms.  (No proof, but that one-and-done the only year we had all that nearby goldenrod seems like good evidence.)

And yes, ragweed is notorious for allergic reactions.

21 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Can I hose down a car engine? My wife’s bronco has mud all up in the engine from going through construction zones. I’d like to just hose it off

Should be able too, I took my Duramax to the car wash and hosed down the engine compartment without issue

24 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Can I hose down a car engine? My wife’s bronco has mud all up in the engine from going through construction zones. I’d like to just hose it off

people power wash their engine compartments all the time. Just be sure not to spray any water directly into the air intake (which would be almost impossible unless you removed the filter). 

think of it this way: when you are driving in the rain, all that road spray goes up into the engine compartment from underneath. Same way the mud got there. If they couldn't get wet, they would be in an enclosed compartment.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, dryslot said:

Should be able too, I took my Duramax to the car wash and hosed down the engine compartment without issue

4 minutes ago, SJonesWX said:

people power wash their engine compartments all the time. Just be sure not to spray any water directly into the air intake (which would be almost impossible unless you removed the filter). 

think of it this way: when you are driving in the rain, all that road spray goes up into the engine compartment from underneath. Same way the mud got there. If they couldn't get wet, they would be in an enclosed compartment.

Thanks, going to use some dawn dish soap and hit it with the garden hose 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Thanks, going to use some dawn dish soap and hit it with the garden hose 

We have a car wash here where you wash yourself and one of the options is an engine wash. Not sure what they use but it does a great job of cleaning everything up nice. Do you have a nozzle where you can get a little more power?

1 hour ago, DavisStraight said:

We have a car wash here where you wash yourself and one of the options is an engine wash. Not sure what they use but it does a great job of cleaning everything up nice. Do you have a nozzle where you can get a little more power?

22 minutes ago, mreaves said:

Seems like most engines are sealed under plastic covers nowadays anyway. 

I could have used a little more pressure. I was able to get it mostly clean, but a power washer with a more gentle nozzle Probsbly would have been ideal.

9 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

I could have used a little more pressure. I was able to get it mostly clean, but a power washer with a more gentle nozzle Probsbly would have been ideal.

I have one of these. It’s perfect for those type of light needs. 
image.thumb.png.9ec6f88975fb4c9cd42f3ad33639bf84.png

• Like 1

What’s the best way to repair grass burned by dog urine?  I have a small patch of grass that is the only small patch of grass for blocks on a busy street that gets blasted with dog urine. I was never one for please be respectful signs, but I may need them. In the interim, any recommended treatment options. I’d like to reseed this fall. 

8 minutes ago, NorEastermass128 said:

What’s the best way to repair grass burned by dog urine?  I have a small patch of grass that is the only small patch of grass for blocks on a busy street that gets blasted with dog urine. I was never one for please be respectful signs, but I may need them. In the interim, any recommended treatment options. I’d like to reseed this fall. 

Just reseed in the Fall. You can put some lime down in the meantime to help with the pH.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, NorEastermass128 said:

Depending on how big the spot is, I’d dig out a bit and replace it with new dirt and re seed.

It sounds weird but my parents dog left a few spots in my yard and the only way I was able to fix it was removing like 3-4”’of dirt adding new stuff, and then seeding. Basically starting over.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Cold Miser said:

...acres upon acres of uncomfortable Adirondack chairs for sale at $400+ apiece.  ...and my girlfriend sitting in one on the dock (she  was most likely sore after sitting there for a few hours). 

137544.jpeg

137543.jpeg

20230802_123348.jpg

Getting back up out of one is probably the worst of all............:yikes:

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Cold Miser said:

...acres upon acres of uncomfortable Adirondack chairs for sale at $400+ apiece.  ...and my girlfriend sitting in one on the dock (she  was most likely sore after sitting there for a few hours). 

137544.jpeg

137543.jpeg

20230802_123348.jpg

Probably the most overrated piece of furniture ever. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1