Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
New England Met Spring 2023 Banter

Baroclinic Zone

On 7/19/2023 at 5:48 PM, CoastalWx said:

Getting back to music, whatever happened to rock? Seems like Disturbed only ones still sort of kicking it. One of my favs here. Sevendust. 

First time seeing disturbed was second stage at Ozfest in 2000.  Great bunch of bands on that second stage back then, including Disturbed. David (lead singer) was wheeled out on stage, strapped to a handtruck, in a straight jacket, and Hannibal Lecter mask.  They were so new (on a national scale), that they played like a 25 -35 minute set in the early afternoon.  People were like, what the hell is with these guys (in an inquisitive, this looks awesome kind of way). And they kicked-ass 

On 7/19/2023 at 9:26 PM, mreaves said:

Saw these guys open for the Black Crowes last summer. Great opening band. 

Nice. Perfect Black Crowes opener.   I've seen the Crowes a few times.  Once, opening for ZZ Top back in 91 or so, then as a headliner at the Orpheum in Boston...maybe, 2001?  Such a great live band.

21 hours ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Check out Greta Van Fleet .

They are playing at TD in Sept. Saw them at Mohegan last year.  Led Zeppelin reincarnated

I absolutely  love these guys.  Love them.  Heat Above is one of my favorite, newer rock songs.  I bought tickets for my daughter for the upcoming show at the Garden and will be giving them to her for her birthday in August. 

17 hours ago, dryslot said:

I don't mind volbeat, Shindown and Asking Alexandria too.

Seen all of these bands.  Asking Alexandria was not a band that I had known much about, but they opened for another band a few years ago.  Not bad.  

Seen Volbeat multiple times, including last year co-headlining with Ghost at the Centrum in Worcester. Always awesome.

Rock isn't dead as some might say (I think EDM is the most popular genre world wide), but you just have to know where to look.  Most of what I listen to and see live are European metal bands. 

So many bands that I grew up with are just old, and still trying to hang on for that one last paycheck. Is sad to see, but rock is definitely not the forefront, and what it once was. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Big time controversy after last nights show. People want refunds 

I almost bought tickets for last night, but didn't pull the trigger. Now glad I didn't. I can see both sides, but didn't he refund a show in the past for losing his voice? That would set a similar precident, granted this was a stadium show with alot more people. 

52 minutes ago, wx2fish said:

I almost bought tickets for last night, but didn't pull the trigger. Now glad I didn't. I can see both sides, but didn't he refund a show in the past for losing his voice? That would set a similar precident, granted this was a stadium show with alot more people. 

Yeah, I don’t know what the right answer is either.

Part of me wonders why they didn’t shorten the 3 opening sets to give him an extra hour or so given that the weather was threatening.

I have a lot of sympathy generally for the artist because I do believe it wasn’t his call and he would have kept going. However,  the reality of the situation is that people spend a ton of money on tickets/parking/food to attend these events and he only played half his proposed set. 

I’m sure any action will be based on how severe the backlash is over the coming days. It would probably be a nice gesture though to refund some money to folks at least. Going to leave a bad taste in 50k fans mouths to not.

57 minutes ago, wx2fish said:

I wonder if the contract included a weather clause, like he’s have to refund if he got through less than half the set list. 

1 hour ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

My buddy said it best, Ticketmaster is involved, so the other clause in there for anyone seeking refunds is probably “go fuck yourself”.

Went to an Aerosmith concert in the 80's in Worcester. After a few songs Steven Tyler collapsed, probably from drugs or booze or both, end of concert. A lot of people complained but we got bupkis.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, DavisStraight said:

Went to an Aerosmith concert in the 80's in Worcester. After a few songs Steven Tyler collapsed, probably from drugs or booze or both, end of concert. A lot of people complained but we got bupkis.

Yeah, I wonder if that may be a little different today, but I think the overall theme is the same. It’s probably at the sole discretion of Ticketmaster and maybe somewhat the artist, and my guess is folks were there until 11 and they are saying fuck you 

3 hours ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Yeah, I don’t know what the right answer is either.

Part of me wonders why they didn’t shorten the 3 opening sets to give him an extra hour or so given that the weather was threatening.

I have a lot of sympathy generally for the artist because I do believe it wasn’t his call and he would have kept going. However,  the reality of the situation is that people spend a ton of money on tickets/parking/food to attend these events and he only played half his proposed set. 

I’m sure any action will be based on how severe the backlash is over the coming days. It would probably be a nice gesture though to refund some money to folks at least. Going to leave a bad taste in 50k fans mouths to not.

Hard to blame the artist if the fire marshall was the one who shut him down.

Just now, Chrisrotary12 said:

Hard to blame the artist if the fire marshall was the one who shut him down.

I also wonder if Gillette shut him down… like I imagine the contract states that show will end at X time so that the event staff don’t get paid overtime. Gabriel Iglesias got fine 6 figures for going long at Dodgers Stadium. 

11 minutes ago, Chrisrotary12 said:

I also wonder if Gillette shut him down… like I imagine the contract states that show will end at X time so that the event staff don’t get paid overtime. Gabriel Iglesias got fine 6 figures for going long at Dodgers Stadium. 

Oh strict curfews at most arenas in MA.  

15 minutes ago, Chrisrotary12 said:

Doesn’t Foxboro have a noise curfew?

2 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Oh strict curfews at most arenas in MA.  

I heard that 11pm is the curfew time, but many artists have gone over before, not sure what the end result is, fine?

Maybe it’ll be somewhat of a learning experience. The dude didn’t get on stage u til like 9:20pm. That is the latest anyone I’ve talked to has ever heard of a headliner coming out at Gillette. Doesn’t leave much wiggle room.