joxey
March 2023

Rjay

KU ingredients:

MJO in high amplitude phase 8. Check

Blocking in place and decaying. Check

Rising PNA. Check

Dropping EPO. Check

Biggest question mark. PNA. We want it to rise at a quicker pace for a KU. Being in Negative first is great. The rise has to be quick enough.

As it has been said, only 1 out of every 10 systems with the earmarks of a KU actually occured. So 10% chance here to keep everything in perspective.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EastonSN+ said:

Yeah I mean 0.7 inches is very doable in CPK. Would not take much at all to accomplish. 

However WOW on the pattern coming up. Now we have to be cautious as we know a good pattern does not guarantee that success is realized, however we can't strike out twice in one season can we?

Of course we can, just ask Snowman and he will clearly lay out all the possible ways we lose in the next few weeks, lol.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, SnoSki14 said:

Need to see more south trends today otherwise this is a non event for us

We’re shut out in terms of snow south of I-84, that’ll be for the SWFE favored areas along I-90 but maybe we can get more sleet if the south trend continues. We’re also not getting a real front end burst since the wave tries to amplify so far west of us. Models mostly time the main precip for when it’s already too warm here. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

We’re shut out in terms of snow south of I-84, that’ll be for the SWFE favored areas along I-90 but maybe we can get more sleet if the south trend continues. We’re also not getting a real front end burst since the wave tries to amplify so far west of us. Models mostly time the main precip for when it’s already too warm here. 

Yes it'll mainly be sleet. We don't have cold antecedent conditions in place which would give us a front end event 

I think the best takeaway here is that there’s finally some cause to be cautiously or reasonably excited for the first time since Dec. We’ve been in nearly an eight week shutout (finally broken for the northern half of the metro), even if snow climo will begin deteriorating, even if there are no guarantees which obviously applies at all times with this sort of results driven hobby, there’s very clearly a reason to be at least somewhat excited again. 

I’ll take it, personally. Lot of knowledgeable people across all the eastern forums saying similar things. This is it, this is our shot. 

March is always a depressing month for me, not because of deteriorating snow climo or sun angle or any of that, but because it signifies having to wade through the seventh circle of hell (our extended summer climo) to get back to the cold season, which is frankly the only weather season I care about here. I track severe in the plains and south, sure. I track hurricanes, sure. But aside from the infrequent tropical system to hit us, all of my investment lies in the cold season. 

In some ways I envy @LibertyBell and his love of summer heat waves. They make me fantasize about a two month trip to Antarctica. 

With all that said, I didn’t hear no stinkin’ bell, let’s grab a cold one on the way out, yeah? 

• Thanks 1

really nice trend here with the ULL from the Rex block and the S/W of focus over the last few runs... we've see increased separation between the two features, and 12z is even showing ridging popping up between the two... this would allow for the S/W to get booted E instead of getting trapped W

this is what the ECMWF/CMC ENS had, and hopefully it's a sign that they're handling the pattern better

ezgif-5-6724116b90.thumb.gif.18354ec2cfe5f6f2fcfe0563e8d8fb1f.gif

• Rjay unpinned this topic