Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 21-23 Major Winter Storm

Hoosier

16 minutes ago, mnchaserguy said:

3.5-4” here so far. Definitely low compared to the 6-8” forecast by MPX. Looks like a foot tonight into tomorrow is a solid better. Probably unlikely we hit 18” at this point. Big storm but significantly lower than what was shown by the models for several days.

Sadly this has been the trend with the models (I.e. show historic storms then go down to reality).  Your getting an awesome storm but the historic model runs make you feel robbed.  

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Lightning said:

I love the last sentence the best:

Unfortunately these three points remain fairly
nebulous and really won`t be known until the event actually begins.

The new guy at GRR provides some entertaining AFDs for sure.

While there remains questions where the only answers lie in some
undiscovered country, there will remain impactful precipitation
through the daytime and through at least the first half of
Wednesday night.
  • Haha 4

4.1” at the airport as of 6am. Definitely the lower side of guidance but they were calling for 4-8” in this first wave, so not a bust. Really strong banding overnight in the south metro. Shame models are showing a substantial drying trend but we should have know those crazy totals from a couple days ago were unrealistic. I believe the record February snowfall at MSP is only in the 13-14” range so the monthly record is still very much in play. 

Yep. Top 5 snowstorm is still possible. Top 10 should be a given.

Sadly this has been the trend with the models (I.e. show historic storms then go down to reality).  Your getting an awesome storm but the historic model runs make you feel robbed.  

Exactly. It’s still a big storm but a bit of a letdown after there was so much consistency for so long with the high end totals. I should still end up with 15-17” by the end of it.

14 hours ago, Baum said:
Radar still looks a bit sketchy, though they tend to explode in set ups like this. I see LOT took the bait and brought the freezing rain line south a touch. Big worry with this is robbing of moisture transport from gulf convection.

You’re looking at the radar too early. Give it a few more hours.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sbnwx85 said:

Hanging on to 32 degrees. Moderate rain coming down. The ice is having a harder time accumulating but there’s a little more than a couple hours ago. Still nothing on the ground so roads, outside of bridges and overpasses, shouldn’t be bad.

Had a brief period earlier with temps at 32.  Now above freezing.

Elevated surfaces and gravel are glazing over now. About a tenth of an inch accumulations of ice. 

Temps are 31.8 presently. I wonder if to my west, if there are any asphalt surfaces along tbe i94 corridor icing up ?? I'm on tbe Onario side if that line of ice . 

Full salt run complete in preparation.