• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 2023 General Discussion

Spartman

Chicago has some missing snowfall data on the usual websites like xmacis (mainly in the late 1890s and part of the 1990s).  However, there's another site that I use to fill in those gaps where I can get a very good idea of daily snowfall amounts.  
Your 2 extra years are 1896-97 and 1997-98, both of which have a lot of missing data on xmacis.  But I can tell you that both were over 15" by 2/14, which is why I left them off the list.
2012-13 is another analog to the current season in terms of low snow to this point. That season ended up with an AN Feb and March to salvage merely slightly below normal for the season at ORD. It also had near misses to prevent an AN seasonal total, and far northern IL did finish above to well above normal.

If we don't get a solid event or two the rest of this month, having to rely on March to escape 2011-12 like futility will be a taller order, but not unheard of. 2001-02 is another somewhat recent example that had just under 20" going into March, but had 11.2" in March to finish slightly below normal on the season (I consider ~30" slightly below normal given the year to year volatility of snowfall). Ultimately, ORD often finds a way to get to 30"+, though this season does look to be a challenge to do so.

1 hour ago, RCNYILWX said:

2012-13 is another analog to the current season in terms of low snow to this point. That season ended up with an AN Feb and March to salvage merely slightly below normal for the season at ORD. It also had near misses to prevent an AN seasonal total, and far northern IL did finish above to well above normal.

If we don't get a solid event or two the rest of this month, having to rely on March to escape 2011-12 like futility will be a taller order, but not unheard of. 2001-02 is another somewhat recent example that had just under 20" going into March, but had 11.2" in March to finish slightly below normal on the season (I consider ~30" slightly below normal given the year to year volatility of snowfall). Ultimately, ORD often finds a way to get to 30"+, though this season does look to be a challenge to do so.

2012-13 added about 20" of snow from the back half of February onward, so nice rally indeed.  That almost seems impossible to pull off this year with how things have been going, but we probably would've said the same thing at this time in 2013.  It's unlikely of course, but you never know.

• Like 1

Meanwhile up in Madison they are up to 38.9" for the season after this last snowstorm. I would consider this season to be kind of a weird category of a warm and snowy season. We've been pretty consistently at least a little bit above average even with the long dry periods all winter despite it being so warm. 2012-13 has been a pretty good analog to this winter with the very tight gradient between Madison and the Chicago area. Sans the 20" storm in December obviously.

• Like 1

RFD sitting at 16.6" so far this year. Only a few miles down the road. RFD ended up with 21.6" total last year as points NW of ORD way below last year also. Two years in a row extreme N IL a dead zone for snowfall.

• Sad 1

18 minutes ago, RCNYILWX said:

The benchmark for a February torch until it's surpassed is February 2017. 6 days in a row of highs from the mid 60s to around 70 at ORD on 2/17-2/22 and then 2/23 hit 59.

The amazing thing about that is that the winds were unusually light most of the time iirc.  You're almost always going to need to be in a windy warm sector to get that warm in February.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Cary67 said:

RFD sitting at 16.6" so far this year. Only a few miles down the road. RFD ended up with 21.6" total last year as points NW of ORD way below last year also. Two years in a row extreme N IL a dead zone for snowfall.

Definitely a big jump in snowfall as you head north.  

Just in the DVN cwa MLI is at a lowly 11.8" while Dubuque is 28.4".  Dubuque is right at normal, while MLI is now down 13.6 inches.  I'm just happy that we're 0.2" ahead of MLI lol.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Frog Town said:

It's been hear since January 3rd...LOL. 

Not sure how well it was in Toledo, but we had a 17 day in a row stretch here with snow on the ground (Jan 22 - Feb 7) and it was quite scenic most of the time. I spent tons of time outdoors. Now that the weather has turned awful and sunny, I'm getting stuff done inside