Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
February 2023 General Discussion

Spartman

18 minutes ago, michsnowfreak said:

Detroit has only had 0.5" which also would be 2nd least snowy Feb if it holds. It's absolutely the other shoe dropping after an incredible run. 9 of the top 14 snowiest Febs have come since 2008 (records date to 1880)! The month does seem a little wintrier than that since the first week was blanketed in snow and we had the big ice storm. 

Can't find it now but remember when I made that post about February not bailing us out one of these years?  Who knew it would be this one.   :thumbsdown:

• Sad 2

18 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

Can't find it now but remember when I made that post about February not bailing us out one of these years?  Who knew it would be this one.   :thumbsdown:

What's funny is that while this was undoubtedly a bad Feb, it doesn't feel AS bad as the snowfall number shows since the first week had snowcover and now the ice storm. Likewise, the first 3 weeks if January were so torturous, when the month ended it was like, wow how did we get a foot of snow in that sucky January?

On 2/23/2023 at 10:55 PM, michsnowfreak said:

What's funny is that while this was undoubtedly a bad Feb, it doesn't feel AS bad as the snowfall number shows since the first week had snowcover and now the ice storm. Likewise, the first 3 weeks if January were so torturous, when the month ended it was like, wow how did we get a foot of snow in that sucky January?

Not a fan of ice, but this storm actually elevates the winter grade in my book.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Natester said:

12z HRRR has the low on Monday at 975 milibars in Iowa.

Would be another great setup for some early-season :twister: in western/central IL if only the front weren't coming through at 12Z per the 06Z GFS. Still might be some if the air aloft is cold enough. Seems to be a trend though in recent years of "wasting" these type of systems mid-March and earlier, and then April-June is dead quiet.

1.4" of pure powder this morning. Quick hitter, didn't expect that much. Brings season total to date to 21.5". DTW also had 1.4", season to date 21.1". 

This was our 6th shovelable snow of the season
Nov 19- 1.8"
Dec 23- 2.4"
Dec 25- 2.4"
Jan 22- 3.7"
Jan 25- 6.2"
Feb 25- 1.4"

Then another 4" total of non shovelable snows.

Here are some ice storm casualties covered in snow.

FB_IMG_1677342898702.jpg

FB_IMG_1677342895841.jpg

• Like 1

23 hours ago, michsnowfreak said:

That's the city over from me. The damage is crazy and it's everywhere.

It is pretty insane and knowing it could have been worse. Seeing poles snapped and trees 40 inches in diameter being brought down has been crazy to see too and I work with trees for a living lol. It shows tho we need to work on our electrical infrastructure

• Like 2

1 hour ago, michsnowfreak said:

1.4" of pure powder this morning. Quick hitter, didn't expect that much. Brings season total to date to 21.5". DTW also had 1.4", season to date 21.1". 

This was our 6th shovelable snow of the season
Nov 19- 1.8"
Dec 23- 2.4"
Dec 25- 2.4"
Jan 22- 3.7"
Jan 25- 6.2"
Feb 25- 1.4"

Then another 4" total of non shovelable snows.

Here are some ice storm casualties covered in snow.

FB_IMG_1677342898702.jpg

FB_IMG_1677342895841.jpg

There's your "more winter". Getting our late March inchers a month early. Tbh, the ice storm was my final interest of the season. Moving on from the cold season so when I opened the door to all white this morning not only was it a small surprise but a bit of a let-down lol, even tho it's mostly gone. Looking for sun and decent conditions going into March. Prolly go the other way and get a "reverse spring" as has been the norm in this Tri-Nina.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, SolidIcewx said:

It is pretty insane and knowing it could have been worse. Seeing poles snapped and trees 40 inches in diameter being brought down has been crazy to see too and I work with trees for a living lol. It shows tho we need to work on our electrical infrastructure

I thought that's what you're doing out there every day, lol

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, michsnowfreak said:

That's the city over from me. The damage is crazy and it's everywhere.

Reminds me of March 2010 up my way. We had 1-2" of ice away from the lakeshore, and up the shore that decimated the trees. It was a huge mess. Here in town it was only 1/2", and power stayed on. Just had a new roof put on, and the birch next door was dragging it branches all over my new roof. Luckily no damage, but I was worried.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, Powerball said:

Welp, in typical Detroit fashion, February always finds some way to pull through.

It won't be a 2nd snowless after all, as a shortwave moved through and apparently produced 1-3" overnight.

It missed "snowless" already, but now it's just another well BN month, like fractionally so.

1 hour ago, RogueWaves said:

There's your "more winter". Getting our late March inchers a month early. Tbh, the ice storm was my final interest of the season. Moving on from the cold season so when I opened the door to all white this morning not only was it a small surprise but a bit of a let-down lol, even tho it's mostly gone. Looking for sun and decent conditions going into March. Prolly go the other way and get a "reverse spring" as has been the norm in this Tri-Nina.

If I go down with the ship I go down with a ship, but I'm still liking a snowy March. 

• Haha 1