Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 2023 General Discussion

Spartman

29 minutes ago, Chambana said:

Torching away at 48 in the paign, should top out around 52-53 today. As cyclone alluded to, spring fever is in the air and the dreaded sun angle is starting to come into play. 

I now have the line in my backyard of snowcover/no snowcover that matches up with which area gets sun.

23 hours ago, michsnowfreak said:

Looks like one heck of an extreme from 1857 to 1858.

Yeah, that's nature for ya. Likes to swing hard at times. It's a year apart, tho. Just ended up that way. That's what makes wx fun :) 

Winter temps for our region are quite variable. Standard deviation for anoms is quite big for the season ~ 5-6 K (For those who might not understand, -3 to 3 K would be 6 K spread). Summer runs ~2-3 K (-1.5 to 1.5 K spread).  

35 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

I now have the line in my backyard of snowcover/no snowcover that matches up with which area gets sun.

Haven’t had any snowcover all winter to worry about that lol. 

12 minutes ago, cyclone77 said:

It's getting to where if the sun's out and there's little wind it feels warmer than what the temp is.  Sun angle ftw

Yep. Car washes are full right now, and everyone is in a chipper mood with the sunshine and 51 degree temp. Interested to see if I smell the first grill of the season this evening. 

22 minutes ago, OrdIowPitMsp said:

30 degrees, full sun. Beautiful day, the lake is full of ice houses.

50 degrees partial sun, lots of wind. Two juvenile boys at the southside park pond throwing logs onto the ice and then starting to walk out onto the ice. So far have not heard anything on the radio scanner of a kid finding out the Darwin Award is a life changing event.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Chambana said:

Haven’t had any snowcover all winter to worry about that lol. 

Yep. Car washes are full right now, and everyone is in a chipper mood with the sunshine and 51 degree temp. Interested to see if I smell the first grill of the season this evening. 

I went to my favorite car wash and there were like 15 cars in line.  Was like nope, not waiting.  

10 hours ago, Brian D said:

Yeah, that's nature for ya. Likes to swing hard at times. It's a year apart, tho. Just ended up that way. That's what makes wx fun :) 

Winter temps for our region are quite variable. Standard deviation for anoms is quite big for the season ~ 5-6 K (For those who might not understand, -3 to 3 K would be 6 K spread). Summer runs ~2-3 K (-1.5 to 1.5 K spread).  

There were some incredible swings in the 19th century here from Winter to Winter. This 5 year stretch was insane:
1877-78 very mild
1878-79 bitter cold
1879-80 warm
1880-81 bitter cold
1881-82 record warm

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, CheeselandSkies said:

Hey Beavis, come to Wiscahhnsin, why don't cha?

:scooter: You got it - I already go several times per year, and wish it could be even more often.  We have friends with a place in Waupaca, and we snowmobile a few times in Jan/Feb the North Woods.  It's a different world - even in a crappy winter when a million indices aren't aligned perfectly, they still have meaningful snow cover that actually stays white throughout the winter, even with an occasional thaw.  And you know the lakes will be frozen - it's just a question of whether there's 8" or 20" ice thickness.

• Like 2
  • Weenie 1