Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 2023 General Discussion

Spartman

1 hour ago, Frog Town said:

Is it just me, or does there seem to be some major changes going on for next week.  GFS and Euro both starting to show much colder temps after the 20th now.  Even chances of snow!  Could...this...be....what...we've .....been waiting for??

There's been signs for a while that it will turn colder at the end of February. There's a lot of cold building in Canada and then the warmth to the south is going to create quite a contrast of airmasses. Potential is definitely there.

• Haha 3

21 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

Nobody's gonna feel sorry when you're near 47 inches.  :P

:hurrbear:

I do - because South Bend has only had 6 days with 6"+ of snow cover...and they were all in November.  That's almost hard to believe when you've had 47" of snow for the season...but it's the same culprit again - way too many thaws.  

Like the rest of us south of 45N, they've essentially had no winter during DJF.  

This is example #50,000 which shows that our climo problem is temps, not snowfall...and that snow totals don't always correlate to the tenor of a winter.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Since I got back from my trip, its been terrific weather of pure sunny skies til this afternoon when ripples of light snow that melted on contact lasted 15 mins. I couldn't have received a better gift since it was the opposite when I left of endless overcast crap that I thankfully escaped from. Highs of single digits in C since the start of the weekend. Three blue sky mornings in mid-Feb like this is very rare here, I had trouble even spotting a cloud. It got to 5C for my high today, dropped in mid-afternoon. This felt like the first Spring day honestly its not like it got to 16C but something just feels different; the clouds also had some volume to them another rarity for this time of year.

Somehow another sunny day tomorrow and 9C, rain and high winds on Weds, 11C, I'm guessing much of my snowpack will be wiped out by that.

21 minutes ago, beavis1729 said:

:hurrbear:

I do - because South Bend has only had 6 days with 6"+ of snow cover...and they were all in November.  That's almost hard to believe when you've had 47" of snow for the season...but it's the same culprit again - way too many thaws.  

Like the rest of us south of 45N, they've essentially had no winter during DJF.  

This is example #50,000 which shows that our climo problem is temps, not snowfall...and that snow totals don't always correlate to the tenor of a winter.

I wonder what their total would be right now if they didn't have Lake Michigan upwind.  Probably be in the same boat as me... i.e. ~9"

54 minutes ago, sbnwx85 said:

I know @Hoosierwas just teasing but certainly not looking for any sympathy. I know I'm lucky to have gotten the snow I've had this winter. The near-record November snow and pre-Christmas blizzard were all lake-effect. Without the lake I'd agree with the ~9" total. 

I estimate 4-5" of my 19.8" is lake effect or lake enhanced. 

31 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

BFF February

As in big fat fail.  So far.

I hate it but I suppose we are due. We've been on a historic run of snowy Februarys. Detroit has only seen 0.1" of snow this month, although snow did cover the ground the 1st 7 days. The last week of the month has definitely piqued my interest.

3 hours ago, michsnowfreak said:

Nice try.
2006- 1"
2007- 8"
2008- 4"
2009- 2"
2010- 6"
2011- 9"
2012- 3"
2013- T
2014- 16"
2015- 13"
2016- 2"
2017- --
2018- 12"
2019- 1"
2020- 2"
2021- 6"
2022- 4"
2023- --

Lolol was worth a shot but all seriousness, Feb has been our best month for legit snowcover. Seems like forever since we've had a snowstorm on top of decent snowcover. That jan 5 pv storm was the last time I can remember. Think we had like 8 on the ground and after that storm, we had the biggest snowcover ive ever seen. Easily over 2 feet.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Stevo6899 said:

Lolol was worth a shot but all seriousness, Feb has been our best month for legit snowcover. Seems like forever since we've had a snowstorm on top of decent snowcover. That jan 5 pv storm was the last time I can remember. Think we had like 8 on the ground and after that storm, we had the biggest snowcover ive ever seen. Easily over 2 feet.

Yes Feb has killed it. In 2021 we had 11" of snow on Feb 15-16 over a 5" base. In 2018 we had a 9" snow Feb 10 over a 6" base. But 2014 would be the last time we had deep snows over an already double digit base. 

Fun fact. The Winter with the most double digit inch snow depth days? 2013-14 by a mile. 2nd place? 2014-15. Sorry not sorry 1970s lol.

0.88" of rain yesterday. Now it's cold, and iced up again. It's a good thing there's very little frost in the ground this season. All the rain, and melt can easily soak in the ground. Yes, we have had big puddles, but it could be much worse. Still 8-12" of snow otg, tho. Still plenty of heavy snow chances in the next 6-8 weeks up here.