• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2023 Mid-Atlantic Severe Wx Thread (General Discussion)

Kmlwx

15 hours ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Nice to know even the best in the business are still wx nerds at the core. :D

I like the juxtaposition of "hurricane operations" with ALL the staff looking out the window at what was probably the definitive "garden-variety" thunderstorm. Thankfully there were no category 5s crawling up the Eastern Seaboard at the time. Actually, thinking about it, that would make an even better picture: Hurricane Iago, still at Cat 4 strength, ravaging the Bay, and all the mets are looking out the window at it rather than at their workstations. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, 09-10 analogy said:

Nice to know even the best in the business are still wx nerds at the core. :D

I like the juxtaposition of "hurricane operations" with ALL the staff looking out the window at what was probably the definitive "garden-variety" thunderstorm. Thankfully there were no category 5s crawling up the Eastern Seaboard at the time. Actually, thinking about it, that would make an even better picture: Hurricane Iago, still at Cat 4 strength, ravaging the Bay, and all the mets are looking out the window at it rather than at their workstations. 

It's really one of the coolest parts about meteorology - the people in the professional *typically* truly have a passion and love what they do. 

• Like 4

Entire area placed under a MRGL risk for today and "heavy rain and gusty winds" have been added to my P&C for today. 

Also - entire area put under a SLGT risk for D3

Fairly widespread convection is forecast to be ongoing across the
   Upper Ohio Valley area, and into portions of the Mid
   South/Southeast, at the start of the period.  The convection, and
   associated cloud cover, will likely hinder/modulate destabilization
   in some areas.  Still, as short-wave troughing, within the base of
   broader-scale eastern U.S. cyclonic flow, advances eastward and
   takes on a negative tilt with time, convective
   redevelopment/intensification is expected.

Accompanying the short-wave trough, enhanced cyclonic flow through a
   deep tropospheric layer is forecast to expand in an arcing manner
   from the Plains, into the Mid-South/Southeast, and into/across the
   Atlantic Coast states.  This broad zone of moderately strong
   deep-layer quasi-unidirectional flow suggests potential for
   fast-moving storms/storm clusters, and accompanying risk for
   damaging winds, and some hail.  While diminishing somewhat
   diurnally, wind risk will likely continue locally into the overnight
   hours.
  • Like 3

Very serious CG here.  Best IMBY since August 17, 2017.
Deluge too, street flooding in Jarrettsville.

Video below from my front porch.  It was a gully washer!  The dormer (roof) valleys were skipping over the gutters and hammering the ground like a legit 3" fire hose.  Garden looks like a swamp.

And it was legit severe because we had hail mostly moth balls but a few ping pong balls (!) in the yard.

Man this blew up out of nowhere.

• Like 6

Plenty of modeling showing the unicorn "solid" squall line type setup tomorrow that we've been missing. If I was judging off of sim reflectivity alone - this is the most pumped I've been for a potential event this year so far. 

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Eskimo Joe said:

Tomorrow definitely has some potential, though I'm more interested in the flooding risk. 

The usual failure modes (crapvection in the morning or clouds) of course apply - but it's nice seeing the modeling in somewhat good agreement (better than I can remember this year. There ARE of course variations - but HRRR (long range), NAM nest, FV3 and even the ARW ARW2 models all seem to move storms through - HRRR and NAM seemed most impressive. 

12z runs are continuing to look good. NAM nest blows up some convection over the bay relatively early which then seems to mute the activity for the afternoon - but it's still pretty good. 12z HRRR still on board with a more or less solid line of convection. The MPAS models from NSSL also look quite good. 

• Like 1

The 12z FV3 hi-res is showing areas north of the Potomac being favored until the line gets to just past DC and then favoring south and east. A bit of a screw zone in between near Anne Arundel Co and then over to the northern half of the eastern shore. Still...in the realm of model runs it looks pretty good. 

12z ARW is a messy evolution with junky stuff developing before any solid line can form. 

12z ARW2 favors northern Maryland into PA with a solid line. 

• Like 1

Finally seem to be getting consensus now on a single line impacting much of the area, or at least from Alexandria or so northward.     Looks like an early show, with the line initiating near the I-81 corridor by late morning and rolling into the DC metro area sometime between 1 and 3pm.    The lack of lead convection increases the severe threat, and there is probably enough deep layer shear to justify the SLGT risk, although the lack of shear in the sfc-4 km depth might temper the threat a bit.

With only one round of convection, and it progged to be progressive, the flash flood threat is a bit lower than initially thought.    That said, 2" PW values will create torrential downpours, and the areas that are soggy from the past few days will likely have problems.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4