Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Pre-Christmas (Dec 21-23rd) Winter Storm Part 2

Chicago Storm

1 hour ago, Cary67 said:

Should copy and paste this for future reference.

It has definitely become the new norm...

The ridiculously progressive northern stream flow makes it too difficult for any storm to dig and become too amped before it gets sheared apart by confluence.

The days when we could get legitimately deep/amped storms such as Jan '99, Dec. '06, Dec. '09 or GHD 1 (2011) seem like a distant memory at this point.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

16 minutes ago, cyclone77 said:

Euro def isn't what it used to be.  Better off using tarot cards while trying to forecast anything beyond 72hrs these days lol.

lol, yes. And that's just 3 days worth of runs. Euro didn't used to be like that. Remember outside of this timeframe, it was showing an east coast blizzard. Then moved 1000 miles west, and now in the last 3 days is escaping back east. Crazy awful. :D 

1 hour ago, mimillman said:

Now that’s just very wrong 

How is that wrong? I have lived in this area for the majority of my life. The best storms go west and east of Michigan, it warms up and we lose the few inches we manage to get. Lansing is too far from the lake to get anything other than mood flakes, good storms that make it nearly every time have mixing issues as well.

3 minutes ago, LansingWeather said:

How is that wrong? I have lived in this area for the majority of my life. The best storms go west and east of Michigan, it warms up and we lose the few inches we manage to get. Lansing is too far from the lake to get anything other than mood flakes, good storms that make it nearly every time have mixing issues as well.

Yup stuck in between big dog tracks/transfer zone. It is what it is. Once in awhile we can get a foot plus storm but prob happens once every 5 years.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, LansingWeather said:

So, here’s a map of average snowfall in the Midwest. I’m sure Des Moines, Indy, St Louis, Chicago, or a number of other major Midwest metropolitan areas would trade you when it comes to snow in particular :rolleyes:

B054432E-069E-4DD8-869D-51660B4E389E.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LansingWeather said:

Thats because the climo here is among the worst in the midwest lol. Only saving grace are the lake when add a lot of mood flakes.

So then who in the midwest and northeast has had a good start to this winter? I must have missed it lol. 

There is no truth to that statement whatsoever. This has been an abnormally slow start to winter everywhere, and for someone from a different area they need to know that. Dec 2020 literally no one but MI was enjoying a decent start, and we were one of the best spots in Dec 2017. Everyone gets hits and misses. If it was true that one area was a void, it would show up in climate data. And it does not. 

2 minutes ago, mimillman said:

So, here’s a map of average snowfall in the Midwest. I’m sure Des Moines, Indy, St Louis, Chicago, or a number of other major Midwest metropolitan areas would trade you when it comes to snow in particular :rolleyes:

B054432E-069E-4DD8-869D-51660B4E389E.jpeg

Exactly. And mood flakes traces don't add in anything, so it's silly to say mood flakes are the saving grace. Everyone gets hits. Everyone gets misses. It's called weather.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Stevo6899 said:

Yup stuck in between big dog tracks/transfer zone. It is what it is. Once in awhile we can get a foot plus storm but prob happens once every 5 years.

I can count the number of 12" plus events on 1 hand since the 99 storm. I was expecting this one to have a good shot at that, but I guess I was wrong.

1 minute ago, LansingWeather said:

I can count the number of 12" plus events on 1 hand since the 99 storm. I was expecting this one to have a good shot at that, but I guess I was wrong.

We're not talking about the start to this winter. Josh can turd polish our snow avg vs other cities all he wants, but we miss out on the big dogs. We discuss this every winter, and nothing changes. It's just the way it is. Life goes on...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, michsnowfreak said:

So then who in the midwest and northeast has had a good start to this winter? I must have missed it lol. 

There is no truth to that statement whatsoever. This has been an abnormally slow start to winter everywhere, and for someone from a different area they need to know that. Dec 2020 literally no one but MI was enjoying a decent start, and we were one of the best spots in Dec 2017. Everyone gets hits and misses. If it was true that one area was a void, it would show up in climate data. And it does not. 

giphy.gif

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Stevo6899 said:

We're not talking about the start to this winter. Josh can turd polish our snow avg vs other cities all he wants, but we miss out on the big dogs. We discuss this every winter, and nothing changes. It's just the way it is. Life goes on...

Just in case you missed this…

ok I’m done now. Sooooo, how about that SREF 

DB8632A9-DEE3-4127-B80A-CF5F73615165.jpeg

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Chicago WX said:

So the 0z HRRR was different. Heads up cyclone :whistle:

Different as in better (for snow) or worse? I dont typically check those meso models out.

EDIT: what matters is how the snow falls over the year, in most of michigan outside of the snowbelts its nickel and dimes. In places east and west its usually a couple bigger storms to get the same total.

• Like 1
  • Weenie 2

2 minutes ago, Stevo6899 said:

Lmao. Actually we ARE talking about the start to this winter. That's exactly what was said to the new york city person who moved to Port huron. "Sorry for the slow start".

Then suddenly we segway OT. There's a LOT more to weather than a big dog. And back to the original comment.

Columbus hasn't had a 6"+ storm since 2015. Detroit has had about a dozen. We are about to get our 3rd Christmas snowstorm since 2017. Poor us. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, LansingWeather said:

Different as in better (for snow) or worse? I dont typically check those meso models out.

EDIT: what matters is how the snow falls over the year, in most of michigan outside of the snowbelts its nickel and dimes. In places east and west its usually a couple bigger storms to get the same total.

I'd love to see ANYTHING other than heresay that backs that up lol. Ie stats. Last time. We all get hits and we all get misses  

• Thanks 1