Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Pre-Christmas (Dec 21-23rd) Winter Storm

Chicago Storm

14 minutes ago, Chambana said:

Regardless if my heart gets broken by this beauty, the fact we finally get a blizz 2-3 days before Christmas has me giddy. If we could tap more gulf moisture, this could be historic. I do like my position right now. 

I don't hate the GFS 18z. Deepens too late to be a massive bomb storm, but would appear to keep the mixy stuff away. Strong and west I get to perhaps witness some wild atmospheric phenomena, more pedestrian and east gets me a nice timely Christmas gift. I don't mind where I sit either. 

It has been a long time since I've seen a model battle like what we are seeing today. The Midwest weather almost never has model runs debating 980mb and such. There's the 12z ECMWF's 979mb in Muskegon, Michigan versus the 18z GFS run of 980mb-976mb in northern Ohio. These days, I'm back here and not in the West, so I'm in the middle of it. There's going to be a lot of model runs with widely varying scenarios in the next few days. I'm going to just keep watching the total weather weenieism on this board and enjoy it! Because hey, the 18z GFS has 13.8" for Toledo. And I'm sure the models today won't be right. And I'm sure snow-rain ratios won't be more than 12:1 for my area whatever does happen. 

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, Chinook said:

It has been a long time since I've seen a model battle like what we are seeing today. The Midwest weather almost never has model runs debating 980mb and such. There's the 12z ECMWF's 979mb in Muskegon, Michigan versus the 18z GFS run of 980mb-976mb in northern Ohio. These days, I'm back here and not in the West, so I'm in the middle of it. There's going to be a lot of model runs with widely varying scenarios in the next few days. I'm going to just keep watching the total weather weenieism on this board and enjoy it! Because hey, the 18z GFS has 13.8" for Toledo. And I'm sure the models today won't be right. And I'm sure snow-rain ratios won't be more than 12:1 for my area whatever does happen. 

Nice to have a local met rooting my area.  2017 was a cold pattern starting in early December so the robust clipper that dropped 5" in our area Christmas was nice, but to have this bigger threat a few days out this year is pretty cool as well.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WeatherMonger said:

I think I'll hold off until HRRR range and then wait for the last minute adjustment, NAM has broke my heart more times than I can count inside of 48 hours :lol:

You're not lying. Def trust hrrr more than nam. Really hoping euro has this one slam dunked. Gfs solution would just suck. Lol. So close yet so far away. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, StormChaser4Life said:

You're not lying. Def trust hrrr more than nam. Really hoping euro has this one slam dunked. Gfs solution would just suck. Lol. So close yet so far away. 

Truthfully, I cannot remember the last time this year I was excited about the weather ahead. It has been that benign for so long, I've grown accustomed to yawntivity throughout the atmosphere :sleepy: :lol:

10 minutes ago, WeatherMonger said:

Truthfully, I cannot remember the last time this year I was excited about the weather ahead. It has been that benign for so long, I've grown accustomed to yawntivity throughout the atmosphere :sleepy: :lol:

I'm not excited yet because there's too many moving pieces and a lot that can go wrong. Still worried gfs could be right with a further south and east track. Really won't know for a few more days till we get sampling of upper data and see how this 1st wave evolves Mon. 

11 minutes ago, StormChaser4Life said:

I'm not excited yet because there's too many moving pieces and a lot that can go wrong. Still worried gfs could be right with a further south and east track. Really won't know for a few more days till we get sampling of upper data and see how this 1st wave evolves Mon. 

I'm not excited either, one thing that has a bit of optimism going for me is the OP, CS doesn't make fantasy threads or overhype. I always pay attention when he starts them. Still remember the monster clipper from accuwx days, he started the thread less than 48 hours out when no one else had mentioned it,  it had WSWarnings from IA into OH with 6"+ totals, had to have been '07-'09 or thereabouts. Miss the historical data that site had in it. Forever lost.

• Like 2

There's also plenty of amped EPS members along the lines of the 12z UKMET. The overall trend vs. the 12z was again a lean to the west with the lower pressures. This is a high risk, high reward setup. It's interesting that 3 consecutive full Euro runs have nailed this area. As a snow enthusiast, it's fun to see obviously, but less meaningful than it seems given the still large spread among the EPS members.

On this side of the lake, probabilities of >=3 and 6 inches favor Wisconsin, northeast IA, and southeast MN more than northern Illinois on the EPS, though have ticked up over the past few runs. Long way to go with this one.

If we're allowed to post EPS stuff from WeatherBell or Pivotal, can post some later on.

16 minutes ago, WeatherMonger said:

I'm not excited either, one thing that has a bit of optimism going for me is the OP, CS doesn't make fantasy threads or overhype. I always pay attention when he starts them. Still remember the monster clipper from accuwx days, he started the thread less than 48 hours out when no one else had mentioned it,  it had WSWarnings from IA into OH with 6"+ totals, had to have been '07-'09 or thereabouts. Miss the historical data that site had in it. Forever lost.

Man I miss the days of AccuWeather forums. Those were the good ol' days though I have really grown to love this forum with a lot of amazing professional input and discussion. I learn a lot. I actually remember that one. That was a fun one to watch unfold. 

58 minutes ago, RCNYILWX said:

There's also plenty of amped EPS members along the lines of the 12z UKMET. The overall trend vs. the 12z was again a lean to the west with the lower pressures. This is a high risk, high reward setup. It's interesting that 3 consecutive full Euro runs have nailed this area. As a snow enthusiast, it's fun to see obviously, but less meaningful than it seems given the still large spread among the EPS members.

On this side of the lake, probabilities of >=3 and 6 inches favor Wisconsin, northeast IA, and southeast MN more than northern Illinois on the EPS, though have ticked up over the past few runs. Long way to go with this one.

If we're allowed to post EPS stuff, can post some later on.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Definitely hard to ignore the consistency of the OP euro. Definitely far from set in stone but it's more trustworthy than OP gfs which is still wobbling quite a bit run to run. Would love to see some EPS stuff!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, StormChaser4Life said:

0z gfs continues to hold firm on its more eastern solution. Going to be a gfs vs euro showdown again. Obviously can't believe anything at this range because it's all fair game until we get adequate sampling of the pieces in play. 

Those past two GFS runs must be screaming for a 2004 redux.

• Chicago Storm changed the title to Pre-Christmas (Dec 21-23rd) Winter Storm