• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA Winter 2022/2023

Regarding the 3/3 event, the Euro op might be doing it’s best GFS impression being the most progressive at the moment but the Euro ensemble mean does indicate there’s some support for the more robust GFS/Canadian type solution. The individual low tracks that make up that mean are definitely not anything resembling clustered but there is enough among the members to yield a half decent precip mean across PA considering range. 

image.thumb.png.9832e0486bb677690c0916941df75911.png

I do think this particular event presents the best legit threat of a widespread wintry event in awhile for us but I like to reel this thing in a good bit further without it ending up heading to the lakes in the process before I get super confident about it.

The much closer Mon-Tues event also bears a bit of watching as well. That one will depend mainly on development of the secondary low. Euro was the most aggressive developing a noteable secondary in VA to the Delmarva. The result was keeping mixed/frozen in NC/NE PA with the threat of some icing further south into central PA. I see that as more of an interior C-PA threat either way in the best case scenario given the alignment of the primary already in the lower lakes and the secondary developing a bit late. NE PA probably in the best position in terms of PA locations. The other aspect to that system would be preceding cold on the front end but there’s not much high support. Though low 980s primary to the lakes attacking a 1020ish high in Ontario is still a half decent gradient. Overall, preceding cold isn’t much to write home about but it may still bear some watching for the front end for some ice in spots. 

If we do end up hitting on that 3/3 event I’d actually consider it a bonus because even at that point we’re not set up in terms of the overall pattern other than the already established -NAO. The EPO/WPO nosedive starts occurring right after this event timeframe and most guidance doesn’t get the MJO back into 8 until after the first week of March. The result in the east is continued changeable weather in terms of temp anomalies and possibly even dealing with another cutter after the potential 3/3 storm.  When it does get back there, it appears it may be of a much stronger magnitude. I touched upon those things in my post yesterday and how I think the MJO loop back served to delay this big pattern change that I feel has to come at some point given eventual lining up of all these supporting teleconnections. 

• Like 5

57 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

GFS another super storm next weekend.  Still a bit warm for the LSV until the end but some areas of PA have historic snow. 

Yes & it’s not too far off from crushing all of us like the 6z run showed this morning.

As is, it’s rain to mix to snow as the low hits the coast and really intensifies.

As you mentioned historic snow this run from the middle Susquehanna Valley up to Northeast PA.

4FB693D4-7DCF-4CF5-9F88-2969B7F59066.png

68BB6765-27A0-4E4C-9FEC-DCE0B33352AD.png

7D8AA412-5792-4A73-BE11-9861F383B19D.png

I don’t mind where we are sitting now with the Winter storm chance for late next week when considering the good GFS runs that we have had for most runs the last couple of days. 
Also, the 12z Canadian & 12z Euro posted below show the storm tracking to our south & east with significant timing differences. The Euro is well off to our south east, while the Canadian is a good run for southern PA.

03C00D18-9FE5-44A0-B4A3-DA90038811F3.png

67271D46-C7EF-4866-BF1C-0369F4742584.png

19 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

They were brining the roads down in Hagerstown 15 min to my south...two different worlds on this one.   MD Line "mauler".  LOL 

Use it or lose it - use up supplies or you can’t get the next budget cycle. Since towns haven’t had to use plows for two consecutive years they need to use resources. 

• Like 1

A very chilly late Feb 23 degrees this AM.  Feels and looks like snow.

Congrats to @Mount Joy Snowman for predicting MDT would top 40 for their average this month.  MDT current stands at 40.9 for an average with an AN departure of exactly 8 degrees.  They stand at number 2 as to the warmest Feb ever right now.   Looking forward just at zones, there does not seem to be a lot of traction to get much higher but not sure they drop down past #3 if even making that.   With the Jan records in the books, in my mind, this will be the warmest winter in my lifetime if not all time.   Feb wise, 7 of the 10 warmest Feb's have happened in the last 32 years with 4 of the 10 in the last 5 years.  Regardless of why, hard to argue we are in the warmest period of the recorded history of this area.    Hard for me not to laugh when I hear any local yokel's complain about "how cold it is".  This has come in a year where Central Florida has recorded several well below freezing nights and it snowed in Miami. 

image.png.466fef9df87e3843f373cb57764b27c8.png

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Blizzard of 93 said:

I like our chances for next Friday & Saturday.
A good compromise solution in this case would work well for the southern half of PA.

fortunately a cmc is south which as you suggest, give us LSV'rs a chance for a souther solution.  Just me wishcasting, but we've been chatting about this "window" for a few days, and its starting to look better for us to have a legit window opening.  500's look better on GFS ens vs op for next weekend and IMO would suggest op would correct south a bit (less diggy and more progressive which would help us thermally down here in taintville).  Many more iterations to come.

Now I just have to uncancel winter in my brain, and forget about the Harley for a while, as I was  "mentally moving on" :lol:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, pasnownut said:

fortunately a cmc is south which as you suggest, give us LSV'rs a chance for a souther solution.  Just me wishcasting, but we've been chatting about this "window" for a few days, and its starting to look better for us to have a legit window opening.  500's look better on GFS ens vs op for next weekend and IMO would suggest op would correct south a bit (less diggy and more progressive which would help us thermally down here in taintville).  Many more iterations to come.

Now I just have to uncancel winter in my brain, and forget about the Harley for a while, as I was  "mentally moving on" :lol:

The 0z EPS improved as well.

Lots of possibilities with the individual member solutions, but the mean track would work well.

45D34C4C-8F60-44CA-B6EF-A971D4816875.png

5BBE583B-7E38-43FB-9791-A9DD19506EA4.png

3F311B30-71BF-4043-842F-9B7D8924F34E.png

25DAB7DE-73E0-42D1-87F2-D424726DE89B.png

• Like 1