• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA Winter 2022/2023

2 hours ago, Bubbler86 said:

That is pretty odd.   There has always been something brewing for the tue-wed time frame.   Here is the GFS from 48 hours ago.

image.png.715dab2b06b224c3875a3ce236c82ce2.png

actually its par for the course. if you ever go past day 5 on local or even nws casts vs models. they are very hesitant to put any storms past those days most times. unlike summer where they normally do. Ive seen times where I look 7 plus days out the temp will swing 20-30 sometimes and it will go from sunny to heavy precip 5 times 

1 hour ago, Blizzard of 93 said:

6z GFS has a great look for the next weekend winter storm chance.

8368D23F-0C1E-41CA-AA0D-693756ACF815.png

Yeah, 6z progression of the early morch mauler is about as good as it could get for us LSV'rs.  Clean snow event.  Hell I'm down for a dirty snow event. CMC has the storm, but while its quite a long duration event, its not as favorable for us south of the turnpike.  Long ways to go but for now lets just hope the wintery signal holds and see where we go from there.

• Like 3

Another reason why I don't like snow maps - there are many types of maps available, and it's easy to cherry pick (unknowingly I'm sure at times) a map that either shows a lot of snow or very little. I think all of it creates both confusion and hard feelings. Some maps include sleet, some do not. I think some are based on different ratios than others. And then, there's the positive snow depth maps, which to me at least would seem to be what matters most...when the storm ends, just how much snow is going to be on the ground...

Here is the 6z GFS positive snow depth map - copy paste from our neighbors to our south so it only includes the southern tier (sorry folks north of the turnpike) but for a model run that "looked" like a pure or mostly pure snow event...this looks very underwhelming: (it's a 1-4" event for us. and the storm has moved out at this point)

snod-imp.us_state_de_md.png

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Itstrainingtime said:

Another reason why I don't like snow maps - there are many types of maps available, and it's easy to cherry pick (unknowingly I'm sure at times) a map that either shows a lot of snow or very little. I think all of it creates both confusion and hard feelings. Some maps include sleet, some do not. I think some are based on different ratios than others. And then, there's the positive snow depth maps, which to me at least would seem to be what matters most...when the storm ends, just how much snow is going to be on the ground...

Here is the 6z GFS positive snow depth map - copy paste from our neighbors to our south so it only includes the southern tier (sorry folks north of the turnpike) but for a model run that "looked" like a pure or mostly pure snow event...this looks very underwhelming: (it's a 1-4" event for us. and the storm has moved out at this point)

Lets just pull the plug and get on with lawn mowing, mulching and beer drinking

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Itstrainingtime said:

Better way to capture individual event potential is to use the 24hr snowfall maps for any given timestamp (still not a great way to predict MBY totals, but its at least storm specific).  As you stated, normal caveats apply wrt what frozen variety one receives. I typically use them primarily for frozen vs non frozen and roll the dice from their....lol 

• Thanks 1

still 52 here local forecast model showed maybe 65 but then the weather guy said nah thats to low im going for 74 lol. his own model says one thing he over rides it when it suits him. but 52 almost 130 we would need 20 degree warm up in 4 hours or less