• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA Winter 2022/2023

16 minutes ago, Superstorm said:

I would love to see big snow totals in Lanco for this one, but I already know this game.

1. Primary driving way up into the upper Midwest. Southeast winds aloft will be screaming off a warm Atlantic Ocean.

2. No real cold air before the storm.

3. Low will be tucked right along the coast.

That’s a recipe for rain.

Areas north and west of Harrisburg could do well.

Exactly right.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

Chase to Caledonia?   Anyone reading the maps and taking them as a forecast may be disappointed (or may not be).    But if posting maps to talk model fun, I love it.  LOL

Yep, and that's why I said that I doubt it will end up like that.

Anyone "expecting" snow in the LSV is once again setting themselves up for disappointment.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Newman said:

Having serious thoughts of "chasing" this storm out there in central PA, lots of similarities to Dec 1992. Anybody know of any good State Parks I could rent a cabin at in that general area of Blair and Clearfield counties?

All usual disclaimers aside on details, I agree on the Dec ‘92 similarities. We have the setup to deliver that kind of event. I said this 10 days ago on page 1 of this thread.

So big question to me is storm track. The strong Greenland block would certainly suppress it, but getting completely overwhelmed with arctic air probably doesn’t help us either in the snow department. Being somewhere in between would be ideal of course. The -PNA is generally forecast to slowly neutralize but stay negative, which in this instance may be a good thing of keeping us in a more active gradient zone. There’d be great potential for something big if we were to line up a coastal with eastern CONUS cold in place and a -NAO induced suppressed (and blocked) storm track coupled with a very warm NW Atlantic SST wise.

So we have an assortment of possibilities on the table with this, including the Euro’s KO to the interior part of C-PA. I originally thought with the initial primary low cutting way west that if would be more of a front running frozen event (if there was enough cold/CAD) but models including the GFS now are really seeing this full on coastal development. Temps are def a bit of a concern for me, and if we get this Euro type stall/capture one will have to consider the easterly fetch.. which would surely be a highly anomalous type setup in that department. A very good thing for more interior/higher elevation places, but perhaps too much of a good thing nearer to the coastal plain (WAA aloft). Sus Valley would be a tough call with that scenario.  Dec ‘92 was a highly marginal storm temp wise, Harrisburg went to rain after about 6” of snow if I remember my details right and State College still had 18” even after turning to rain in the middle of the event.. Jeff Morrow and the TWC crew drove the turnpike from Harrisburg to report at Breezewood (which had over 2ft). This may have a bit better of a CAD setup than that, but we still aren’t really incorporating truly cold air into the pattern on our side of the country yet. Still though, could be enough. 

To add to the suggestions I would maybe check Blue Knob State Park, not sure what they have for winter cabin rentals though. If the euro scenario came to fruition you would be ground zero there on a mountain that’s second highest to Mt Davis. Parker Dam is a good spot though. I’d watch to see how things go for a couple more days of course. The current broad model/ensemble consensus on a bigger event has my attention, but this still has a high possibility of being a more minor or mix-ier event.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I like the Marysville CTP forecast 

Wednesday Night
A chance of snow. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 27. Chance of precipitation is 50%.
Thursday
Snow. High near 36. Chance of precipitation is 80%.
Thursday Night
Snow likely. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 32. Chance of precipitation is 60%.
Friday
A chance of snow. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 38. Chance of precipitation is 40%.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Eskimo Joe said:

Nobody should be throwing in the towel north of Mason-Dixon. This isn't late Febraury during a wall to wall torch winter.

I do not think anyone is...just some group humor.  Throwing in the towel now is as bad as telling your neighbors 1-2 feet is coming.  Both are big risks.  Now if someone is sold on the Icon being the breadwinner this time...then towel in.  LOL.  The SLP is taking a tour of the Lakes. 

MU likes the Dec 19th-26th period....for much of the LSV he is looking at thread the needle type situation for a snowstorm earlier.  LOOOONG READ linked with a snip of it below.

To make a long story short, the strength and orientation of the blocking will have to be "just right" to support a "snowmaker" across southeastern PA. In addition, the position, strength, and evolution of the storm system over Atlantic Canada will play a big role in determining whether or not.. and where.. redevelopment occurs along the East Coast. I won't dive any further into the weeds, but you can now easily see why so much uncertainty exists in the forecast late next week. Predictability and accuracy beyond 3-5 days decrease and are greatly reduced during strong -NAO periods, and numerical computer models don't hande the evolution of storm systems very well. Thus, the forecast beyond 5 days is and will continue to be rife with uncertainty for the foreseeable future. 

Special Weather Discussion | Millersville University

18Z GFS had a fairly decent jump east with the position of the SLP bringing snow into the Western and Northern LSV and all areas North and West of there.   It drills just North and West of Philly as the low escapes and does not overwhelm them with an easterly flow.   Because it escapes, totals in Northern PA are close to cut in half in some cases.  Some snow in the South and East LSV but not like I81 and N/W. 

1 hour ago, Blizzard of 93 said:

I like the Marysville CTP forecast 

Wednesday Night
A chance of snow. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 27. Chance of precipitation is 50%.
Thursday
Snow. High near 36. Chance of precipitation is 80%.
Thursday Night
Snow likely. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 32. Chance of precipitation is 60%.
Friday
A chance of snow. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 38. Chance of precipitation is 40%.

I was just going to post mine from Tamaqua, but they're similar. Daytime temps are borderline, but we all know that 36 may end up being 32 or 33. 

8 hours ago, canderson said:

GFS is snow for the Poconos - maybe. Very weird solution. 

Hey, even if this late week thing does not evolve correctly, the GFS (only commonly used model that goes out to Christmas) has 2-3 more chances for a White Christmas event.  Right now, only the Euro sig shows snow in parts of the LSV for late week and man it is a forum splitter.  I do not buy this though as to snow in the Western LSV when you have a decaying (or Wiggum Rotting) SLP in MIchigan and a developing SLP in Havre De Grace.   Sleet, sure, but hard for me to fathom the entire column survives a Western Low that close when the developing low is on our doorstep.  

image.thumb.png.b8e15855e89a4fcfc219d2b2e6407ace.png