• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 2022

dmillz25

Any winter event next weekend or early the next week will be nearly impossible to forecast beyond 3 days as not only is the strong block a factor but the remaining SE ridge impact.  So trying to resolve how far south the storm is pushed due to the block is one issue but then what does the SE ridge do  

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, MJO812 said:

Yep more wintry run. Not there yet but the block is doing it's magic.

If we pretend this run is real we have 3-4 wintry "threats" to track in the next 10 days. If the GFS is real we have a week long deluge. The real reality will likely incorporate elements of both plus some unexpected changes.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SnowGoose69 said:

Any winter event next weekend or early the next week will be nearly impossible to forecast beyond 3 days as not only is the strong block a factor but the remaining SE ridge impact.  So trying to resolve how far south the storm is pushed due to the block is one issue but then what does the SE ridge do  

I think this is a great point. It also makes tracking this week more fun as long as we don't look completely out-of-the-game heading into Tue. or Wed.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, MJO812 said:

Mid month signal on the Euro

638cecfc070b8.png

Nice signal, especially inside of 10 days instead of 15.  In my mind any freezing or frozen precipitation prior to 12/18 is gravy on the biscuit.  My target dates for something of substance remains 12/20 - 12/31.  We SEEM to be edging slowly in that direction.  Confidence remains guarded however.  At least for another week or so and we see how things look at that point.

5 minutes ago, Franklin0529 said:

I don't trust the gfs one bit.  Especially with that strong block setting up.  The euro an cmc are both trending colder..  

I don't trust any of the ops right now. 

Still love the look on the eps though starting around day 8.  Second half of the month still looks fun imo.  

• Like 6

2 hours ago, SnowGoose69 said:

Stronger systems will tend to hug coast with coastal rains and potential interior higher elevation snows. Weaker systems will get suppressed or sheared due to the stronger -NAO and fast Pacific flow. So the actual storm track might not matter that much for snow near the coast. Not much in the way of cold air next 10 days on the EPS.

• Like 3

Posters showing good humor.  

The current events modeled by the GEPS/GEFS/EPS through 12z/19 have total snow depth change over a 360 hour period of less than 1"  NYC-LI and 1-3" I84 corridor. This can abruptly change with model changes in dynamics and ptype;  but for now... I have to wait this out (through the 12z/4 model suite).  

From my vantage point: GEFS is somehow closing off a big 5H low over us to develop the big nor'easter for the 10th that the EPS/GEPS do not have. They instead like some snow for PA drying out-melting  as it attempts to cross NJ this coming weekend.  For now, that is what I go with... not the GFS/GEFS. Maybe something changes more favorably for all of us?

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, Franklin0529 said:

Gfs is more south for next weekend.  Slowly but surely it's coming around... continue to monitor.  Chance some areas n/w could get in on the action 

Meh. 

The 13th-14th should be given some attention in time but it has a really shitty airmass to work with. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, wdrag said:

Posters showing good humor.  

The current events modeled by the GEPS/GEFS/EPS through 12z/19 have total snow depth change over a 360 hour period of less than 1"  NYC-LI and 1-3" I84 corridor. This can abruptly change with model changes in dynamics and ptype;  but for now... I have to wait this out (through the 12z/4 model suite).  

From my vantage point: GEFS is somehow closing off a big 5H low over us to develop the big nor'easter for the 10th that the EPS/GEPS do not have. They instead like some snow for PA drying out-melting  as it attempts to cross NJ this coming weekend.  For now, that is what I go with... not the GFS/GEFS. Maybe something changes more favorably for all of us?

Hey Walt!

Seems to be two schools of thought. One that thinks will improve towards year end when the block retrogrades. The other that seems to believe this rainy, blocky negative PNA look will persist/keep getting delayed.

Me personally, I feel that this does not look anything like 97/98 with a GOA Trough flooding Canada with warmth. I believe we eventually get a couple real good opportunities.