Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 2022

dmillz25

3 minutes ago, bluewave said:

NYC has finished every La Niña season in last 30 years with under 20” of seasonal snowfall following a December with under 3”. It must be due to the snowy La Niña seasons having a nice early frontloaded snowfall period. December snowfall doesn’t matter as much in El Niño’s like 14-15 or neutral years like 12-13. Those have traditionally had better backloaded periods.

Monthly Total Snowfall for NY CITY CENTRAL PARK, NY
Click column heading to sort ascending, click again to sort descending.
Year
Oct
Nov
Dec
Jan
Feb
Mar
Apr
Season
2021-2022 0.0 T 0.2 15.3 2.0 0.4 0.0 17.9

Year
Oct
Nov
Dec
Jan
Feb
Mar
Apr
Season
2020-2021 0.0 0.0 10.5 2.1 26.0 T 0.0 38.6

Year
Oct
Nov
Dec
Jan
Feb
Mar
Apr
Season
2017-2018 0.0 T 7.7 11.2 4.9 11.6 5.5 40.9

Year
Oct
Nov
Dec
Jan
Feb
Mar
Apr
Season
2016-2017 0.0 T 3.2 7.9 9.4 9.7 0.0 30.2

Year
Oct
Nov
Dec
Jan
Feb
Mar
Apr
Season
2011-2012 2.9 0.0 0.0 4.3 0.2 0.0 0.0 7.4

Year
Oct
Nov
Dec
Jan
Feb
Mar
Apr
Season
2010-2011 0.0 T 20.1 36.0 4.8 1.0 T 61.9

Year
Oct
Nov
Dec
Jan
Feb
Mar
Apr
Season
2008-2009 0.0 T 6.0 9.0 4.3 8.3 T 27.6

Year
Oct
Nov
Dec
Jan
Feb
Mar
Apr
Season
2007-2008 0.0 T 2.9 T 9.0 T 0.0 11.9

Year
Oct
Nov
Dec
Jan
Feb
Mar
Apr
Season
2005-2006 0.0 T 9.7 2.0 26.9 1.3 0.1 40.0

Year
Oct
Nov
Dec
Jan
Feb
Mar
Apr
Season
2000-2001 T 0.0 13.4 8.3 9.5 3.8 0.0 35.0

Year
Oct
Nov
Dec
Jan
Feb
Mar
Apr
Season
1999-2000 0.0 0.0 T 9.5 5.2 0.4 1.2 16.3

Year
Oct
Nov
Dec
Jan
Feb
Mar
Apr
Season
1998-1999 0.0 0.0 2.0 4.5 1.7 4.5 0.0 12.7

Year
Oct
Nov
Dec
Jan
Feb
Mar
Apr
Season
1995-1996 0.0 2.9 11.5 26.1 21.2 13.2 0.7 7

Thanks,

08/09 caught my attention as NYC stayed under 30. Over here was 42, amazing what a difference a short distance makes.

37 minutes ago, bluewave said:

NYC has finished every La Niña season in last 30 years with under 20” of seasonal snowfall following a December with under 3”. It must be due to the snowy La Niña seasons having a nice early frontloaded snowfall period. December snowfall doesn’t matter as much in El Niño’s like 14-15 or neutral years like 12-13. Those have traditionally had better backloaded periods.

Year
Oct
Nov
Dec
Jan
Feb
Mar
Apr
Season
2021-2022 0.0 T 0.2 15.3 2.0 0.4 0.0 17.9

Year
Oct
Nov
Dec
Jan
Feb
Mar
Apr
Season
2020-2021 0.0 0.0 10.5 2.1 26.0 T 0.0 38.6

Year
Oct
Nov
Dec
Jan
Feb
Mar
Apr
Season
2017-2018 0.0 T 7.7 11.2 4.9 11.6 5.5 40.9

Year
Oct
Nov
Dec
Jan
Feb
Mar
Apr
Season
2016-2017 0.0 T 3.2 7.9 9.4 9.7 0.0 30.2

Year
Oct
Nov
Dec
Jan
Feb
Mar
Apr
Season
2011-2012 2.9 0.0 0.0 4.3 0.2 0.0 0.0 7.4

Year
Oct
Nov
Dec
Jan
Feb
Mar
Apr
Season
2010-2011 0.0 T 20.1 36.0 4.8 1.0 T 61.9

Year
Oct
Nov
Dec
Jan
Feb
Mar
Apr
Season
2008-2009 0.0 T 6.0 9.0 4.3 8.3 T 27.6

Year
Oct
Nov
Dec
Jan
Feb
Mar
Apr
Season
2007-2008 0.0 T 2.9 T 9.0 T 0.0 11.9

Year
Oct
Nov
Dec
Jan
Feb
Mar
Apr
Season
2005-2006 0.0 T 9.7 2.0 26.9 1.3 0.1 40.0

Year
Oct
Nov
Dec
Jan
Feb
Mar
Apr
Season
2000-2001 T 0.0 13.4 8.3 9.5 3.8 0.0 35.0

Year
Oct
Nov
Dec
Jan
Feb
Mar
Apr
Season
1999-2000 0.0 0.0 T 9.5 5.2 0.4 1.2 16.3

Year
Oct
Nov
Dec
Jan
Feb
Mar
Apr
Season
1998-1999 0.0 0.0 2.0 4.5 1.7 4.5 0.0 12.7

Year
Oct
Nov
Dec
Jan
Feb
Mar
Apr
Season
1995-1996 0.0 2.9 11.5 26.1 21.2 13.2 0.7 7

Brutal. Looks like another below avg snowfall winter with one or two storms at most 

17 minutes ago, EastonSN+ said:

MJO phase 7 and 8?

CFS weeklies flip us to a trough Jan 11. Probably following the MJO

image.png.b50b7446c5bd0a1a8c265ce97ffe1460.png

image.thumb.png.1e77c56b4bb1998b723c1420dd2ee46b.png

Was just going to ask how things are looking after the torchy start to Jan, if there’s any favorable hints appearing. Been exceedingly busy with work right before Xmas and haven’t had much time to look at things. 

Really hoping January’s opening pattern is a temporary blip. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Allsnow said:

Brutal. Looks like another below avg snowfall winter with one or two storms at most 

some of us have been talking about this for a couple of months after November warmth…and then derided for it.

It’s not that weather knows what month it is… But there’s a beginning a middle, and an end to a season… and seasons that begin like this (especially La Niña seasons) dont usually end well.

At this point, I would take the cold December and put it in your back pocket and smile. I know a good chunk of us got some snow last week. The mountains have had a pretty good December although they’re about to take a hit.

This is just one of those Decembers where you have to take what you can get and not expect much for the winter ahead in terms of snow.

Call me crazy, but I wonder if we cant eek out something in the more hostile pattern coming at the end of next week and into early Jan

• Like 3

Just now, the_other_guy said:

some of us have been talking about this for a couple of months after November warmth…and then derided for it.Well.

It’s not that weather knows what month it is… But there’s a beginning a middle, and an end to a season… and seasons that begin like this (especially La Niña seasons) dont usually end well.

At this point, I would take the cold December and put it in your back pocket and smile. I know a good chunk of us got some snow last week. The mountains have had a pretty good December although they’re about to take a hit.

This is just one of those Decembers where you have to take what you can get and not expect much for the winter ahead in terms of snow.

Call me crazy, but I wonder if we cant eek out something in the more hostile pattern coming at the end of next week and into early Jan

I think it’s over after this week. Pv strengthening/mjo going ham and pac jet ext. reminds me of 19/20 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, EastonSN+ said:

Outside of 14/15 where central park waited till mid January, does anyone know the last time Central Park didn't have a measurable snowfall till January and still ended up above average snowfall?

12/13 was a backend winter.  We had the big Feb Blizzard here which delivered our yearly average in one day and then another monster in March--before Feb I think we had a few inches on the year

9 minutes ago, the_other_guy said:

some of us have been talking about this for a couple of months after November warmth…and then derided for it.

Coldest climo coming up so we will likely get something but hopes for a big winter are slipping away....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Allsnow said:

I think it’s over after this week. Pv strengthening/mjo going ham and pac jet ext. reminds me of 19/20 

That’s very disheartening, 19/20 was the worst winter I can remember of recent years for me. All I remember of that one was near constant 50 degrees and rain. Yuck. 

Are we really seeing indications of a repeat of that right now, or are we just down on our luck? Dec at least was rather cold, are we really going to permanently reverse on that even considering blocking tends to be recurrent once it happens the first time?

Any long range hints at the moment aren’t good, or? Then again, rather burnt out on day 11-15 cold signals… Lose / lose. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Volcanic Winter said:

That’s very disheartening, 19/20 was the worst winter I can remember of recent years for me. All I remember of that one was near constant 50 degrees and rain. Yuck. 

Are we really seeing indications of a repeat of that right now, or are we just down on our luck? Dec at least was rather cold, are we really going to permanently reverse on that even considering blocking tends to be recurrent once it happens the first time?

19/20 had blocking in December which produced a major sne snowstorm first week of the month. It broke down and we never got into a better pattern after that. To start January 20 we hit 70 which is likely this year as well 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Allsnow said:

19/20 had blocking in December which produced a major sne snowstorm first week of the month. It broke down and we never got into a better pattern after that. To start January 20 we hit 70 which is likely this year as well 

No one is forecasting the end of winter after this week. It's also foolish to give up on winter with 3 months to go. 

As we saw with this storm , long range outputs are a joke.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Allsnow said:

A winter that changed the world, and one I'd like to forget. I do like to see a snow storm or two, but this winter has dud written all over it. Glad I sold off a snowblower before it became obvious it won't be needed. In our area, this kind of pattern can leave us with nothing but a few flurries or dustings. Maybe some sleet. For the entire winter. Keeps the snow haters, of which there are many, happy at least.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Allsnow said:

yep it sucked-was mostly warm and snowless outside of one storm around 1/20 or so....

5 minutes ago, weatherpruf said:

A winter that changed the world, and one I'd like to forget. I do like to see a snow storm or two, but this winter has dud written all over it. Glad I sold off a snowblower before it became obvious it won't be needed. In our area, this kind of pattern can leave us with nothing but a few flurries or dustings. Maybe some sleet. For the entire winter. Keeps the snow haters, of which there are many, happy at least.

It’s interesting because Dec was well set up minus the lack of snow; all that separated us from decent snowfall was trough placement being too far west. Likely without the insane NA SST’s we’d be celebrating an epic Dec and ready to write off the warm start to Jan, no? 

Just seems like Dec was more of a near miss considering all factors, but I certainly understand if the medium range prognostication is unfavorable. 

Really trying my best to retain some positivity. We’re due for some favorable luck to break our way for a change. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Brian5671 said:

12/13 was a backend winter.  We had the big Feb Blizzard here which delivered our yearly average in one day and then another monster in March--before Feb I think we had a few inches on the year

Yeah but we did have a snow event in December 2012. Was minor like this years but I think Central Park had at least an inch in 12 where while we scored this year here in coastal CT (1.5 so far), Central Park had been skunked.

36 minutes ago, Allsnow said:

I think that's ridiculously premature to declare. Most of our snow comes from a couple storms which is very possible Jan 15 - March 30. 

We'll know by mid Jan what the future might bring and if it looks shitty with no improvement in sight then I'll give it to you. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Stormlover74 said:

Plus the November storm

I keep forgetting that one!

One thing that drives me insane is when people say November snowstorms equal bad snowfall winters.

12/13, 02/03, 95/96 were all above average snowfall winters with November snowstorms.

18/19, 11/12 (October) and 87/88 we're below average.

Seems equal to me.

1 minute ago, EastonSN+ said:

I keep forgetting that one!

One thing that drives me insane is when people say November snowstorms equal bad snowfall winters.

12/13, 02/03, 95/96 were all above average snowfall winters with November snowstorms.

18/19, 11/12 (October) and 87/88 we're below average.

Seems equal to me.

We were still in the dark from sandy so I don't remember much about that one except freezing my ass off in front of the fireplace 

Nov 02 had a snowstorm? 

3 minutes ago, SnoSki14 said:

I think that's ridiculously premature to declare. Most of our snow comes from a couple storms which is very possible Jan 15 - March 30. 

We'll know by mid Jan what the future might bring and if it looks shitty with no improvement in sight then I'll give it to you. 

We will be waiting a while for that vortex to move out of Ak. 

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, SnoSki14 said:

I doubt it stays there very long. This is not 2011/12 where it's parked all winter. 

The pessimism is a little much. If it's a ratter then so be it but declaring winter over when it barely started is silly imo. 

It is and we know one or two storms can bring us to normal. I haven't heard anyone else declare winter over yet.