Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 2022 Obs/Disc

40/70 Benchmark

48 minutes ago, George001 said:

image.png.82331be002a8002cd9ef779f2a146f82.pngI think this with more eastern extension will be a good analog (emphasis on the eastern extension part). 

I wasn’t out here then but I’ve always found that storm pretty hilarious.  4” in Greenfield but 40” if you went 30mi E or W.  Perhaps the greatest downsloping of all time for the CRV. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

I wasn’t out here then but I’ve always found that storm pretty hilarious.  4” in Greenfield but 40” if you went 30mi E or W.  Perhaps the greatest downsloping of all time for the CRV. 

I remember looking up in the sky and seeing the snow falling heavier higher up but not making it to the ground.  Definitely the most frustrating storm I've ever experienced.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

12 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Basically, bare ground in Agawam where I worked. I was really surprised on my ride home when I got to the high spot-on Route 20 in Brimfield, and it was blizzard conditions. This was pre internet and pre cell phone days, so I had no idea what was going on East, pleasant surprise that Friday night.

• Like 5

I lived in Woonsocket, RI at the time. My father in laws mom passed away. The wake Friday night was heavy windy rain. The funeral Saturday turned to heavy windy snow. By the time the mass ended and we went to the cemetery there was 6" of snow already on the ground. Wires and tree branches down everywhere. Woonsocket ended up with 2 feet. Drive just a few miles south or east and totals dramatically dropped off. 2" of rain to 2 feet of snow. Can't believe they went through with the funeral precession!

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Vinny Findley said:

I lived in Woonsocket, RI at the time. My father in laws mom passed away. The wake Friday night was heavy windy rain. The funeral Saturday turned to heavy windy snow. By the time the mass ended and we went to the cemetery there was 6" of snow already on the ground. Wires and tree branches down everywhere. Woonsocket ended up with 2 feet. Drive just a few miles south or east and totals dramatically dropped off. 2" of rain to 2 feet of snow. Can't believe they went through with the funeral precession!

My friend and I went to Diamond Hill in Cumberland the day after the morning snow, there was around 12"

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sey-Mour Snow said:

ends up LBSW... Just some light to moderate snow in southern CT.. 

I can just see it now, distinct possibility that between tomorrow’s storm and next week, the Rt 2 corridor and N will be sitting at < 2”  for the seven day period.    Plenty of time to change though.   I just like to keep my expectations in check.  

1 hour ago, CT Valley Snowman said:

I remember looking up in the sky and seeing the snow falling heavier higher up but not making it to the ground.  Definitely the most frustrating storm I've ever experienced.  

We had about 16 inches in Granby,  but head down rt20 to east Granby and there was pretty much nothing. I've seen this several times over the years,  but this was the most insane transition! From a foot to an inch within a couple miles 

1 hour ago, weathafella said:

That 1992-93 was a great winter-deep pack late January into April.

In our area it was a meh 1st half of winter and a weenie's dream 2nd half.  Both my (then) residence in Gardiner and the Farmington co-op had only patches OG in late January.  Then we had 84" at our place from Jan 29 thru March 24, with 31" pack after the Superstorm (despite us getting "only" 10.3" from 1.70" LE thanks to a warm tongue producing gritty stuff).  That 31" was the greatest depth in our 13 winters at Gardiner.  Farmington recorded 97" in Feb/March and their "T" depth climbed to 56", tied (with 1971) for their 2nd greatest pack in the 82 winters with depth records.
We'll watch SNE get some white stuff while we finally have some seasonal cold.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Vinny Findley said:

In credible the drop off in snow depth within just a few miles. Sort of like lake effect!

Elevation and one degree made a big difference in that one. That's the one that got me excited about winter again after a decade plus of not much. I bought a 4-wheel drive pickup that winter.

• Like 1