Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Cold Season Thread 2022/2023

bwt3650

18 minutes ago, alex said:

A nice gentle snowfall continuing. I assume it’s now upslope? 

Weak inverted trough-like feature mixed with blocked, most likely?  I don’t know, but there’s some synoptic forcing along with low level orographics keeping snow lingering in the mountains.  Moist low levels in place, so sloshing air probably creating flakes fairly easily.

5 hours ago, mreaves said:

There was 1.5” new on the board by the time I could measure around 4:30. Then there was a pretty heavy band that moved through while I was cleaning the driveway. Maybe another half inch in the last hour?  I’m right around 6” for the event. Then my snowblower crapped out. :( The auger that throws it out the shute stopped turning. Ugh. 

1” new at the 11:00 cleaning. So 6.5” total. Probably lost some to compaction, it’s a pretty beefy snow. Nice to have a few wintry days. 

1 hour ago, wxeyeNH said:

It also snowed lightly down here all evening.  Got about 1/2" more.

The front range of the Northern Whites are sure doing their job this morning.  I will take the sunshine 

Screenshot 2023-01-21 100308.jpg

Funny - I was telling Aaron yesterday that the forecast was calling for sunshine but the AFD said the storm is in the Gulf of Maine, and I told him - I doubt we see sunshine with a storm in the GOM. And in fact, the flurries have now turned to light snow again, nice fluffy flakes. Maybe a break tomorrow ahead of the next storm? Nice to see a good winter stretch for a change. I'm headed to Jamaica in late February; would love to have a few good weeks of winter till then, then flip the switch lol

49 minutes ago, alex said:

Funny - I was telling Aaron yesterday that the forecast was calling for sunshine but the AFD said the storm is in the Gulf of Maine, and I told him - I doubt we see sunshine with a storm in the GOM. And in fact, the flurries have now turned to light snow again, nice fluffy flakes. Maybe a break tomorrow ahead of the next storm? Nice to see a good winter stretch for a change. I'm headed to Jamaica in late February; would love to have a few good weeks of winter till then, then flip the switch lol

80% sun here today.  Outlook looks great for snow. I have not read the threads and just quickly looked at the models  First one Tomorrow night but could go south.  Then another one midweek.  Could mix but if coastal gets going it will cut off the warm air.  Then we have a clipper possibility next weekend.  Then perhaps another storm right after that.

This definitely has been a challenging winter for the recreation industry. Although, after these 2 small storms we just had- and that the first one had some wet snow and then drizzle that made a good base even if only 4 inches- I did see it was just enough to be able to get the hard core snowmobilers out on the trails. The rental business is still closed up- they have moveable offices- 2 faux log tiny homes/sheds that they place at in the Irving parking lot next to Fabyans. They bring all the sleds out of storage and park them in the shared area between Fabyans and Irving and run the business out of the tiny homes. They are usually all set up and ready to go for Christmas/New Years. This year, they brought the 2 mobile offices over, but have not got the sleds out of storage yet. They are running out of time. After MA Feb Vacation is over, most everyone switches gears and has no interest in snow activities. They have a month left of their rental season and they haven't even opened yet. 

6 minutes ago, #NoPoles said:

This definitely has been a challenging winter for the recreation industry. Although, after these 2 small storms we just had- and that the first one had some wet snow and then drizzle that made a good base even if only 4 inches- I did see it was just enough to be able to get the hard core snowmobilers out on the trails. The rental business is still closed up- they have moveable offices- 2 faux log tiny homes/sheds that they place at in the Irving parking lot next to Fabyans. They bring all the sleds out of storage and park them in the shared area between Fabyans and Irving and run the business out of the tiny homes. They are usually all set up and ready to go for Christmas/New Years. This year, they brought the 2 mobile offices over, but have not got the sleds out of storage yet. They are running out of time. After MA Feb Vacation is over, most everyone switches gears and has no interest in snow activities. They have a month left of their rental season and they haven't even opened yet. 

Definitely and issue in sled country. Even northern Maine was hurting until that dump they got last week. This storm was enough for some hard core riders to get out but not enough to really groom yet in most of the state. Hopeful that we start building it a bit. 

1 hour ago, alex said:

Light snow started. Small storms, but with the snow in between its felt quite wintry. Today is day 4 or 5 of consecutive snow? Let’s get greedy and see if we can get to a week. :)

Had almost an inch last night and this morning in town of like snizzle.  Seemed to be just falling out of moist low levels.  Smallest flakes.

As expected, Winter Storm Iggy came through and transformed the ski conditions in the local mountains this weekend.  A survey of the Vermont ski area snow reports revealed surprisingly consistent storm totals running around 10 inches up and down the spine of the Central and Northern Greens, with lower amounts down at the southern resorts due to an influx of some mixed precipitation.

My older son was coming home from NVU Lyndon for the weekend, and with Iggy starting up Thursday evening, my wife was able to pick him up late that afternoon because he didn’t have any Friday classes.  The timing was perfect because they got home just ahead of when the flakes started falling, and it was a great example of the utility of accurate winter weather forecasting.

My younger son and his friend only have one early class on Fridays, so after they were done with class, my older son joined them and the three of them headed up to Bolton for some turns.  They scored quite a day with the fresh snow and minimal midweek visitors on the slopes.  They had such a blast that after coming home, eating dinner, and watching some GoPro videos from the day, they switched up to some different gear and went back out for night skiing until last chair.

I didn’t have a chance to head out earlier in the day on Friday, but I did get up to the mountain with about an hour of light left, so went for a tour on Wilderness to check out all the new snow.  The storm was still ongoing, but at that point I found the following surface snow depths:

2,000’: 6”

2,500’: 7-8”

2,800’: 8-9”

I decided not to tour all the way to the Wilderness Summit because I was losing daylight, but the quality of the powder I encountered was excellent.  I was surprised to find that I could feel a difference in snow density below about 2,500’, but it was fairly subtle and the turns were really great from top to bottom.  All in all I’d describe the turns as mostly bottomless, quite surfy, and that powder was all atop that bomber base that was present from the previous storm cycle, so you could really have confidence in what was below the new snow.

In a discussion with one of my colleagues at work on Friday, I learned that plans were in place to open the Wilderness Chair for the first time this season on Saturday, so my older son and I headed up Saturday morning for a session.  We didn’t really rush out to the mountain, arriving at about 9:30 A.M. for the scheduled 10:00 A.M. opening of the Wilderness Chair, but it turns out that was a bit too late.  People were already having to park at Timberline and since the Timberline Quad isn’t running yet, you had to take the shuttle up to the main mountain.  With the first notable weekend day with fresh snow in at least a couple of weeks, it seemed like everyone in the state was excited to get out.

I learned that the Wilderness Chair actually had actually halted operations for a bit due to a mechanical issue, but that timing worked out pretty well for us – by the time we took one run on Vista to get us over toward Wilderness, the lift was running.  We spent much of our time on Wilderness, exploring various tree skiing lines between Snow Hole and the Nordic/backcountry network, and the powder skiing was great.  We could use a couple more feet of base to cover up some of the usual obstacles and really get the off piste skiing into prime time, but everywhere we went it was pretty much good to go.

We wrapped up the session in the midafternoon with a run back to our car at the base of Timberline, and while having to shuttle up to the main mountain at the start of the day wasn’t our first choice, the run back to the car through endless powder was more than worth it.  It doesn’t look like the Timberline Uphill Route is officially open yet, but we saw a number of skiers ascending there when we were waiting for the shuttle.  Practically speaking, the snow at Timberline is good to go with respect to ski touring, so it will be interesting to see if the resort officially opens that uphill route soon.  They resort is making snow down at Timberline to presumably open it up for lift-served skiing before long, and if these next couple of winter storms deliver like Winter Storm Iggy did, they’ll probably be able to open it up even before all the snowmaking is done.  This next system has earned the name Winter Storm Jimenez due to its anticipated impacts, so we’ll see what it delivers over the next couple of days.

21JAN23E.thumb.jpg.939907d796a7762fe166b4319281c4ea.jpg

20JAN23A.thumb.jpg.1f9839d41f225e4ba6db55170a67e0db.jpg

21JAN23F.thumb.jpg.c5df238463822fc83feac59e4620f462.jpg

20JAN23B.jpg.6819a931d79c5f338bc996f452dea61e.jpg

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Always got a kick being at a ski area when the kids locally schools were shut down for snow. Zero problem getting to a ski area but big problem getting to school  lol.

Ours only had a 2 hour delay to allow for road clearing. Keep in mind the issue is the school bus. Some people have to get on a bus at 6 to get to school

Vermont totals

VERMONT

...Addison County...
  Hancock                12.0   924 AM  1/23  Public
  Salisbury               9.0   830 AM  1/23  Upper Plains Road
  Orwell                  5.7   634 AM  1/23  Public

...Caledonia County...
  Groton                  6.0   651 AM  1/23  Public
  Lyndonville             3.8  1114 AM  1/23  NVU Campus
  1 WSW Lyndon Center     3.8   830 AM  1/23  At NVU Lyndon campus.
  Sutton                  3.0   700 AM  1/23  Public

...Chittenden County...
  Underhill               4.2  1200 PM  1/23  At 1100 ft elevation.
  1 SSW Underhill         3.9   240 PM  1/23  Public
  1 E Nashville           3.5   830 AM  1/23  NWS Employee
  1 S Essex Center        3.2  1030 AM  1/23  NWS Employee
  1 NNE Hinesburg         3.1  1200 PM  1/23  Trained Spotter
  1 NE South Burlingto    2.8  1000 AM  1/23  NWS Office
  1 NNW Burlington        2.4   909 AM  1/23  NWS Employee
  Charlotte               2.1   430 AM  1/23  Public
  2 NW Westford           2.1   615 AM  1/23  NWS Employee
  2 SW Milton             2.0  1000 AM  1/23  NWS Employee

...Essex County...
  4 WNW Maidstone         3.9   838 AM  1/23  Public

...Franklin County...
  St. Albans              1.0   635 AM  1/23  Public

...Lamoille County...
  1 SSE Smugglers Notc    4.5  1116 AM  1/23  Public
  Morrisville             3.5   708 AM  1/23  Public
  Elmore                  3.0   549 AM  1/23  Public

...Orange County...
  1 NW West Braintree    11.5  1150 AM  1/23  Public
  Topsham                10.5  1013 AM  1/23  Public
  West Newbury           10.5  1100 AM  1/23  At 1350 ft elevation.
  East Randolph          10.0  1130 AM  1/23  At 1300 ft elevation.
  East Brookfield        10.0   200 PM  1/23  At 1500 ft elevation.
  Chelsea                 9.0   740 AM  1/23  Public
  Braintree               8.5   633 AM  1/23  Public
  Waits River             8.5   910 AM  1/23  Public
  Randolph Center         8.0   933 AM  1/23  Public
  Tunbridge               7.9  1100 AM  1/23  Trained Spotter

...Rutland County...
  West Rutland           10.0  1200 PM  1/23  Public
  2 SSE Pittsford        10.0   255 PM  1/23  Storm Total
  Chittenden             10.0   935 AM  1/23  Public
  3 ESE Shrewsbury        9.5   300 PM  1/23  At 1700 ft elevation.
  Shrewsbury              9.5   914 AM  1/23  Public
  Castleton               8.5   800 AM  1/23  Public
  2 N Rutland             7.5  1230 PM  1/23  Public
  3 SSW Wallingford       6.8   100 PM  1/23  CoCoRaHS
  Forest Dale             6.5   935 AM  1/23  Public
  Rutland                 6.0   730 AM  1/23  Public

...Washington County...
  1 SW East Barre         7.2  1100 AM  1/23  NWS Employee
  Barre                   5.5  1117 AM  1/23  Maple Ave
  Montpelier              5.0   830 AM  1/23  Public
  Northfield              5.0   500 AM  1/23  Public
  4 ESE Marshfield        5.0   740 AM  1/23  Trained Spotter
  Worcester               4.0   630 AM  1/23  Public
  2 N Calais              3.0  1000 AM  1/23  Trained Spotter

...Windsor County...
  Weathersfield           6.0   800 AM  1/23  Public
  Royalton                5.5   900 AM  1/23  At 900 ft elevation
  1 SE West Norwich       3.0   548 AM  1/23  Public
  3 NE West Hartford      2.3   548 AM  1/23  Public
...Bennington County...
  Bennington             12.0  1200 PM  1/23  Facebook
  WNW Shaftsbury          9.5   655 AM  1/23  CoCoRaHS
  Landgrove               9.4  1149 AM  1/23  WeatherNet6
  1 ESE Pownal            8.0   854 AM  1/23  As of 8:50 AM EST.
  1 WSW Manchester Cen    7.2   745 AM  1/23  Trained Spotter
  Manchester              7.0   830 AM  1/23  Public
  West Arlington          6.0   532 AM  1/23  WeatherNet6
  1 NNE Landgrove         5.5   730 AM  1/23  CoCoRaHS
  3 ENE Manchester        5.3   700 AM  1/23  CoCoRaHS
  Peru                    4.9   700 AM  1/23  Co-Op Observer
  W South Shaftsbury      4.8   725 AM  1/23  CoCoRaHS

...Windham County...
  3 NNE Searsburg        13.4  1230 PM  1/23  Trained Spotter
  Townshend               8.5   900 AM  1/23  As of 8:00 AM EST.
  Athens                  7.5   921 AM  1/23  Social Media
  3 SSW Putney            7.4   821 AM  1/23  Trained Spotter
  6 W West Brattleboro    6.5   800 AM  1/23  Co-Op Observer
  2 NNE Marlboro          6.5   800 AM  1/23  CoCoRaHS
  1 S Brattleboro         6.4   700 AM  1/23  CoCoRaHS
  2 N East Dover          6.2   903 AM  1/23  CoCoRaHS
  6 NW Westminster        6.0   700 AM  1/23  CoCoRaHS
  1 WNW Wilmington        5.0   523 AM  1/23  CoCoRaHS
  1 NNE Rockingham        4.7   700 AM  1/23  CoCoRaHS
  6 SSW Guilford          4.0   730 AM  1/23  CoCoRaHS
  Westminster             4.0   630 AM  1/23  Public