Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Cold Season Thread 2022/2023

bwt3650

On 2/13/2023 at 4:27 PM, wxeyeNH said:

I heard that in Vermont 3 people died this weekend falling through  ice.  Here in NH as far as I know Newfound Lake has only once not frozen over completely. That was fairly recently.  It looks like that may happen again.  We got close after the last cold wave but the lake has opened up since.  Time is running out even if we turn cold again.  The increasing sun angle  really works against lake ice growth.  Getting to that time of the year that even if it stays below freezing all day the sun starts eating into the snow banks and getting in the car is nice and warm. 

Snowcover wise I am still at near 100% but the first grass patches are opening up under my apple trees and on my steep facing south lawn.  My snow stake shows about 4" remaining.  

I'll be up fishing Stinson lake this weekend. Place holds ice good though.

Beautiful day on the Flying Pond ice - warmed up while opening holes then took off the heavy jacket before 10 AM and only put it back on for walking back to the pickup at 2:45.  Brought home a nice brookie.  Also had 4 hits at the same hole in 10 minutes, one miss and 3 small pickerel, 13-17".  Caught one, re-baited and didn't get 10 feet from the trap.  Missed that one, got another shiner and had hit #3 immediately.  That was the 17" fish, bait survived and as soon as I had it down to the proper depth another small pickerel grabbed it.  That was at 1 PM and was the end of the action - okay as the bait bucket was empty.

• Like 5

Nice thunderstorm this morning.  Temperature is now up to 43F.  CF shortly

I'm going to post this in the general obs thread too.

Wow, I am amazed how much colder I have been compared to places like Concord NH which is only 35 miles south of me.  Boston is 100 miles away but the climate is so much warmer down there.  I retain snow cover  well and CAD always seems to overperform.  I just realized that I have not hit 50F yet this year!  Some close calls this week but surely not the spring weather so close by.  I know there are a lot of frustrated snow lovers but a salt free roads and bare ground would be nice to see.  My acreage faces south and finally we are getting some bare ground but everyplace around me is still snow covered.  This snow is so durable.  Below if a graph of my temps so far this year.  Guess I'm going to have to wait for my first 50F!

graph.jpg

snow.jpg