Jump to content
  • Member Statistics

    17,124
    Total Members
    7,904
    Most Online
    laikakat
    Newest Member
    laikakat
    Joined

May 2022


 Share

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, LibertyBell said:

why are the SST so cold this year--- cold spring?

 

They aren’t cold

relative to normal for this time of year. They can fluctuate tremendously this time of year relative to other times of year as well. With insular radiation near peak a couple sunny days with light winds and surface temps shoot up. Inversely with a strong offshore flow upwelling can drop temps up to 20 degrees in a day. (Right on the beaches, further offshore where the buoy obs are taken there is less variability)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, bluewave said:

Unfortunately, the 6z Euro joined the GFS and GEM with the low cutting off later in the week. But the day to day details for next weekend probably will have to wait. 

6z Euro

D66765A4-3D74-4EE9-BA1D-AACC17594472.thumb.png.bb869b5dd11e801e7367ce8d2dc3a114.png

0z Euro

0ED4DB36-9574-4F49-9795-A41B6A781DAD.thumb.png.66c69e8a95130043e84c2b90e2b023d2.png

 

12z euro moves things along and doesn’t cut it off 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

They aren’t cold

relative to normal for this time of year. They can fluctuate tremendously this time of year relative to other times of year as well. With insular radiation near peak a couple sunny days with light winds and surface temps shoot up. Inversely with a strong offshore flow upwelling can drop temps up to 20 degrees in a day. (Right on the beaches, further offshore where the buoy obs are taken there is less variability)

ah that explains why they're in the 50s.

The ironic thing is that which keeps the coast the warmest also makes the SST stay cool (upwelling.)

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, SnoSki14 said:

That fits the theme so far this spring. If so then it won't be the best memorial day weekend

Personally it doesn't bother me since I don't consider it the start of summer. Now July 4th weekend would be another story. 

What I like about our area is that it usually corresponds well to the astronomical seasons-- last snow is usually around 3/20, summer weather usually kicks in around 6/20, fall around 9/20 and first snows around 12/20.

Screw "met seasons" astronomical is where it's at

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, LibertyBell said:

why are the SST so cold this year--- cold spring?

 

The actual SSTs are still In the upper 50s which will give you a very cool sea breeze. So around 20° colder than the recent summers with SSTs pushing 80° at times. But the departures relative to average are the warmest on record for this time year in the North Atlantic. 
 

23CFE9EB-D504-4FD4-A615-25D385342A48.thumb.jpeg.6f9627e00d101754236251649c35a9a2.jpeg


 

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, bluewave said:

The actual SSTs are still In the upper 50s which will give you a very cool sea breeze. So around 20° colder than the recent summers with SSTs pushing 80° at times. But the departures relative to average are the warmest on record for this time year in the North Atlantic. 
 

23CFE9EB-D504-4FD4-A615-25D385342A48.thumb.jpeg.6f9627e00d101754236251649c35a9a2.jpeg


 

 

But what about for our area, are they still warmer than normal for this time of year?  When do we typically see 60 degree sea surface temps?

But in terms of what effects it has on coastal areas, they wouldn't have any effect if we had a land breeze correct?  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

But what about for our area, are they still warmer than normal for this time of year?  When do we typically see 60 degree sea surface temps?

But in terms of what effects it has on coastal areas, they wouldn't have any effect if we had a land breeze correct?  

https://www.ncei.noaa.gov/access/coastal-water-temperature-guide/catl.html

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Cooler air continues to spill into the region. High temperatures could top out in the upper 60s in parts of the northern Middle Atlantic region tomorrow and Wednesday.

Overall, the second half of the month will likely be warmer than normal and there remains some possibility of an overall warm monthly outcome. The potential also exists for several very warm to perhaps hot days.

Based on sensitivity analysis applied to the latest guidance, Galveston has an implied 95% probability of recording its warmest May on record. Galveston will likely finish with a monthly mean temperature ranging from 82.3° to 82.9°. The existing record is 80.4°, which was set in 2018. Galveston has already recorded its most 90° high temperatures and 80° low temperatures on record for May.

Some of the guidance has suggested that June could be warmer than normal in the Middle Atlantic and New England areas. The latest EPS weeklies suggest otherwise.

The ECMWF seasonal forecast indicates that the summer will be warmer than normal throughout the region and across much of North America.

The ENSO Region 1+2 anomaly was -1.5°C and the Region 3.4 anomaly was -1.1°C for the week centered around May 18. For the past six weeks, the ENSO Region 1+2 anomaly has averaged -1.65°C and the ENSO Region 3.4 anomaly has averaged -1.07°C. La Niña conditions will likely persist into the start of June.

The SOI was +22.69 today.

The preliminary Arctic Oscillation (AO) was +1.594 today.

On May 21 the MJO was in Phase 8 at an amplitude of 1.045 (RMM). The May 20-adjusted amplitude was 1.323 (RMM).

Based on sensitivity analysis applied to the latest guidance, there is an implied 66% probability that New York City will have a warmer than normal May (1991-2020 normal). May will likely finish with a mean temperature near 63.7° (0.5° above normal).

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, LibertyBell said:

But what about for our area, are they still warmer than normal for this time of year?  When do we typically see 60 degree sea surface temps?

But in terms of what effects it has on coastal areas, they wouldn't have any effect if we had a land breeze correct?  

Land breezes cause upwelling and cooler water. Onshore winds suppress it and warm the water faster.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Morning thoughts…

Today will become partly sunny. It will be unseasonably cool. High temperatures will reach the upper 60s and lower 70s in most of the region. Likely high temperatures around the region include:

New York City (Central Park): 68°

Newark: 71°

Philadelphia: 70°

Cool weather will persist through Thursday.

Normals:

New York City: 30-Year: 73.3°; 15-Year: 74.0°

Newark: 30-Year: 74.7°; 15-Year: 75.6°

Philadelphia: 30-Year: 76.5°; 15-Year: 77.1°

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The last 8 days of May are averaging 69degs.(62/75) or +2.

Month to date is  62.5[+0.4].       May should end near  64.2[+1.0].

Reached 78 here yesterday.

Today: 63-67, wind e., cloudy with breaks, 55 by tomorrow AM.

62*(68%RH) here at 7am.        67* at Noon.        64* at 3pm.       59* at 9pm.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, LibertyBell said:

Is this an extension of the climate warming the most the further north you are that started with the Arctic warming?  If so doesn't that mean the warming begins from the "top" down"-- that is the most extreme warmth will be the further north you go-- I believe this was well predicted by the climate models.

 

This May is just an extension of recent summers since 2018 with record blocking in SE Canada. Over the top warm ups are common in this pattern like we saw a few weeks ago with the record heat in Northern New England. Then we get intervals with the ridge flattening out like this past weekend. So places away from the sea breeze make a run on record highs. But the deep westerly flow heat events that make it to JFK like we saw from 2010 to 2013 are absent. Then there is the occasional cutoff low getting stuck underneath the block. So a fairly predictable pattern. 
 

May 2022

B89D2076-B1DA-465C-AB2B-48E7B2DC7452.gif.f7b066373a8da5d0389e07345918d61c.gif

Summers since 2018

 

BA14B838-5277-4F1F-B490-8602EBDAEDF3.png.709c70da95e87d583c0a30919aaf0219.png

 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Weekend coming into view and a matter of timing with the cut off ULL.  Fri - Sun look cloudy and a bit unsettled with scattered storms.  Once we clear the cutoff it may be off to the races for the next heat surge in the 5/31 - 6/2 period.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, bluewave said:

This May is just an extension of recent summers since 2018 with record blocking in SE Canada. Over the top warm ups are common in this pattern like we saw a few weeks ago with the record heat in Northern New England. Then we get intervals with the ridge flattening out like this past weekend. So places away from the sea breeze make a run on record highs. But the deep westerly flow heat events that make it to JFK like we saw from 2010 to 2013 are absent. Then there is the occasional cutoff low getting stuck underneath the block. So a fairly predictable pattern. 
 

May 2022

B89D2076-B1DA-465C-AB2B-48E7B2DC7452.gif.f7b066373a8da5d0389e07345918d61c.gif

Summers since 2018

 

BA14B838-5277-4F1F-B490-8602EBDAEDF3.png.709c70da95e87d583c0a30919aaf0219.png

 

Chris, are the lack of these deep westerly flow events due to the high now pushing further north?

Also, for the past two springs in particular, we've had a long stretch of dry low humidity weather, and as a result my allergies came to an early :) Is that because of more spring blocking in the last two years?

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

Whats the reason for the flip flopping? Is a piece of this out over a poorly sampled region?

 

The reason is that models struggle with closed lows in these blocky patterns. They all seem to agree on rain from Friday into Saturday. The 12z Euro gets the front to our east by later Saturday.  So a backloaded Memorial Day weekend with Sunday and Monday better than Friday and Saturday.

26CDB006-F00B-4C2C-9E3A-324A34B9ECE8.thumb.png.9bbe251081c204664b006f64a6d0417f.png

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...