Jump to content
  • Member Statistics

    17,163
    Total Members
    7,904
    Most Online
    Michael Butler
    Newest Member
    Michael Butler
    Joined

March 2022 General Discussion


 Share

Recommended Posts

LOL

433 PM CDT Fri Mar 25 2022

...A SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 500 PM CDT
FOR NORTHWESTERN WILL AND SOUTHERN DUPAGE COUNTIES...

At 432 PM CDT, a severe thunderstorm was located near Naperville,
moving east at 50 mph.

HAZARD...70 mph wind gusts and small hail.

SOURCE...Radar indicated. This shower has a history of producing 70
         mph winds!

IMPACT...Expect considerable tree damage. Damage is likely to mobile
         homes, roofs, and outbuildings.

Locations impacted include...
Aurora, Joliet, Naperville, Bolingbrook, Downers Grove, Romeoville,
Plainfield, Woodridge, Lockport, New Lenox, Homer Glen, Mokena,
Lemont, Burr Ridge, Westmont, Lisle, Darien, Crest Hill,

Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, IWXwx said:

LOL

433 PM CDT Fri Mar 25 2022

...A SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 500 PM CDT
FOR NORTHWESTERN WILL AND SOUTHERN DUPAGE COUNTIES...

At 432 PM CDT, a severe thunderstorm was located near Naperville,
moving east at 50 mph.

HAZARD...70 mph wind gusts and small hail.

SOURCE...Radar indicated. This shower has a history of producing 70
         mph winds!

IMPACT...Expect considerable tree damage. Damage is likely to mobile
         homes, roofs, and outbuildings.

Locations impacted include...
Aurora, Joliet, Naperville, Bolingbrook, Downers Grove, Romeoville,
Plainfield, Woodridge, Lockport, New Lenox, Homer Glen, Mokena,
Lemont, Burr Ridge, Westmont, Lisle, Darien, Crest Hill,

My favorite are the severe warnings for outflows with no precipitation 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

lotchat    2022/03/25 6:41 PM    iembot    
2 W Sugar Grove [Kane Co, IL] ASOS reports TSTM WND GST of M72 MPH at 4:18 PM CDT -- CORRECTS PREVIOUS NON-TSTM WND GST REPORT FROM 2 W SUGAR GROVE. ASOS STATION KARR SUGAR GROVE - AURORA ARPT.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

Hindsight, but some severe probs for wind would've been justified today.

Under the right conditions shallow convection can draw down impressive winds.  It is different to see this in a post cold-front environment as opposed to narrow frontal squall line with a bomb surface low.  An odd situation for the midwest.  These shallow cold-pool severe weather events happen more often in the Pacific Northwest with late season cold upper lows spinning inland and interacting with stronger afternoon surface heating.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Baum said:

lovely spring day. The frosted roof tops against the slate gray sky as the wind cuts you like a knife adds to the pleasantness.

Best climo

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Had robust snow showers/blowing snow most of the day yesterday with steady temps in the mid-teens, then a low of 7 last night. Currently it's 10 degrees with below zero wind chills and scattered very light snow showers tapering off.  If there's enough holes in the cloud cover overnight, it'll drop below zero.  Right now the point forecast is 4. 

You'd never know it's nearing April 1st by looking outside.

Mid week system could be a doozy.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Brian D said:

5/-5 for lows this morning around the area. Chilly weekend. Could get slammed with heavy snow here in a few days. 

I with along 350+ people watched the first big movement out of Duluth of the season as the Burns Harbor tooted it way under aerial lift bridge. Saw it was in the single digits there. I prefer to be inside my warm house to watch it instead.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, bowtie` said:

I with along 350+ people watched the first big movement out of Duluth of the season as the Burns Harbor tooted it way under aerial lift bridge. Saw it was in the single digits there. I prefer to be inside my warm house to watch it instead.

Here's a vid showing the first ships of the season here in Two Harbors. They really have to do some fancy piloting to get in, and out of the harbor here.

 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

40 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

Not super easy to pull off highs in the low 30s on March 27 with basically full sunshine, but we're doing it.

still was able to get outside a bit and work on my base tan. It is spring break season.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Baum said:

still was able to get outside a bit and work on my base tan. It is spring break season.

I actually got a slight burn earlier this month lol.  I'm pretty fair skinned but can tan reasonably well... thankfully have some central/eastern European ancestry to go along with northern European.  :P

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

With 25" of snow on the ground, INL dropped to -8 this morning.  A bit wintry for March 28th. 

Ely hit -11. :wub:

Amazingly enough, INL has been even colder later in the season.  Some examples below, with records going back to 1897.  As expected, the April 1982 arctic outbreak shows up.

-21 on 3/31/1975 (!)

-14 on 4/3/1954

-12 on 4/2/1954

-11 on 4/6/1982

-9 on 4/7/1982

INL's latest sub-zero temp on record was 4/8/2018 (-3)...a good illustration of how anomalous 1982 was.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

pretty impressive cold.  We've had two straight days with almost wall to wall sunshine and we've only topped out in the low to mid 30s each day.   Really shows the depth of the cold airmass

  • Like 2
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, madwx said:

pretty impressive cold.  We've had two straight days with almost wall to wall sunshine and we've only topped out in the low to mid 30s each day.   Really shows the depth of the cold airmass

Definitely impressive. Yesterday was a mix of clouds and sun and we topped out at 32. But today was sunny all day after some early snow and we only topped out at 30. Areas outside the metro stayed in the 20s both days despite sun.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...