• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter storm for the 25th of February is imminent.

Typhoon Tip

Just now, Winter Wizard said:

The NAM is still a bit of an outlier, but is an entirely plausible scenario where the primary low chugs way ahead into NY state while any secondary low develops far too late to be meaningful. 

All kidding aside, I use to dump all over it until the Feb 4th event, It did the same thing its doing here and it ended up being right, Now maybe it ends up wrong this time, But when it sniffs a warm layer, It usually is pretty good with it.

NAM is still synoptically very different from other guidance...it is tracking that vortmax NORTH of Lake Ontario....nevermind over it.

If it is wrong with that, then it's going to bust too warm. It's not "Sniffing out a warm layer" like we sometimes see in these events when they all agree on the synoptics. The NAM is literally about 75-100 miles north of other guidance on the vort track and that makes a huge difference.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, ORH_wxman said:

NAM is still synoptically very different from other guidance...it is tracking that vortmax NORTH of Lake Ontario....nevermind over it.

If it is wrong with that, then it's going to bust too warm. It's not "Sniffing out a warm layer" like we sometimes see in these events when they all agree on the synoptics. The NAM is literally about 75-100 miles north of other guidance on the vort track and that makes a huge difference.

Will be interesting and important to see ALL of the 12z results. They will need to be taken seriously but with our luck they'll come in with the same disagreements again.

Just now, IowaStorm05 said:

Will be interesting and important to see ALL of the 12z results. They will need to be taken seriously but with our luck they'll come in with the same disagreements again.

I expect some northward ticks (I've been saying it for days actually)....but there's a difference in mere northward ticks and the 12z NAM. The question is does the NAM start coming back to other guidance...which I think it probably does. But maybe it scores a synoptic coup too.

5 minutes ago, dryslot said:

All kidding aside, I use to dump all over it until the Feb 4th event, It did the same thing its doing here and it ended up being right, Now maybe it ends up wrong this time, But when it sniffs a warm layer, It usually is pretty good with it.

It’s not a warm layer, see wills post. It is literally completely different from other guidance. Toss it to the moon 

• Weenie 1

Just now, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

It’s not a warm layer, see wills post. It is literally completely different from other guidance. Toss it to the moon 

I don't think you can toss it...other guidance may continue to shift north with the vort track too....but there's no reason to hug the NAM either.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

The Nam only has 0.7" of liquid down here, the axis of heavy precip is well to the north....probably missing something and will suddenly make a huge correction southward. Both Nams down here are straight sleet, little to no snowfall and still fairly cold despite being so far north....So even in this case, we are still mostly frozen around here

29 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

It’s a defense mechanism. It’s also why some for are clinging to the NAM. 

Hedge the warm solution to temper expectations 

yeah... yeah I know.  Stopped short at venturing why -

it's about as eye-rolling at the reader's side, as it is poking the hornet's nest to impugn the writer of that voice - best to just skip it, because it's never ended well. 

I mean no one since the beginning of on-line weather "forumdium" has ever said, "gee, you're right - I'm being flawed logical in order to ameliorate my neurotic agenda. I'll cease from such tact.. "    Uuuusually doesn't end well in the exchange.   One is just not likely to be influenced, or corrigibly gathered in once they are triggered.  

• Weenie 1

6 minutes ago, Spanks45 said:

The Nam only has 0.7" of liquid down here, the axis of heavy precip is well to the north....probably missing something and will suddenly make a huge correction southward. Both Nams down here are straight sleet, little to no snowfall and still fairly cold despite being so far north....So even in this case, we are still mostly frozen around here

There will definitely be way less QPF if the vort is tracking into the St. Lawrence valley up north or northeast of Ontario. The Euro shifted north at 06z too....it's not like the 12z NAM but it tracked it over like southern Lake Ontario up toward Tug hill instead of BUF to ALB like the 00z run did.

12 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Some of the north ticks are the result of the shortwave moving north. Euro is one of them.

Yeah the biggest issue is snow total vs sleet cutting that down from where I'm sitting.  I gather that folks would rather not the sleet... lol.  Anyway, I'm more into this for the general impact to society, much less the general impact to the delicate sensibilities of people trying to get to some dimension of nostalgic d-drip psyche for the modeling journey before it even happens.  

I mean, sometimes I wonder if that journey is more important than the actual storm itself.  This engagement has evolved into something ( I wonder ) that is a part of that "60 Minutes" psychotropic stimulation addiction shit they covered as a problem to humanity by modern technology.  But that'd be digressing...   

I'm probably not really qualified to get too embedded in snow vs IP...  In principle this is a "needle thread" system.  And the system is going to run along the "rail-system" where the run lays the tracks - if the larger synoptic manifold change < 72 hour out..that's more an indictment of modeling tech.   And the ptypes are 'edgy'  

1 minute ago, CT Valley Dryslot said:

Skimming through here makes it sound like storm cancel south of the Pike.

It’s looking like 4-8” N CT some of that includes sleet and and then a flip back to snow late day with the IVT. Should the NAM verify.. and it very well might. It’s more like 4-5 of snow and then a lot of zr

• Typhoon Tip changed the title to Winter storm for the 25th of February is imminent.
  • dendrite unpinned this topic