Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Feb 16-17th Winter Storm

Chicago Storm

6 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

That's a little risky imo, especially given that the EPS has consistently been north of the op Euro.  I feel like the course of least regret would be a compromise of some kind, but not overweighting the op Euro.

Yep. As mentioned earlier I think one of them caves by/at 12z runs later on. We'll see. Was around same time it happened with GHD lll. 

9 minutes ago, Harry said:

Yep. As mentioned earlier I think one of them caves by/at 12z runs later on. We'll see. Was around same time it happened with GHD lll. 

Honestly I think they're both (GFS and Euro) gonna cave toward each other.  The spread between them is so big right now that it's a little hard to imagine one of them nailing it.  And as said, the EPS is a red flag for me that something north of the current op Euro is very much in play.

21 minutes ago, Harry said:

Gut tells me GRR will ride the GFS. They tend to ( not always but usually ) follow whatever model ( GFS vs euro situation ) has the highest snowfall over the office and the GFS has that. Not saying if it's right or wrong but that's how they usually roll at this office. 

This. Truer words never spoken. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

Honestly I think they're both (GFS and Euro) gonna cave toward each other.  The spread between them is so big right now that it's a little hard to imagine one of them nailing it.  And as said, the EPS is a red flag for me that something north of the current op Euro is very much in play.

It's comical watching them hold so hard. I did a comparison of the latest euro ensembles ( vs 18z ) and it is identical right down to this small gap ( between higher totals ) running across my backyard. Wish I could figure how to post them side by side. Never seen anything like it. 

37 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

Almost forgot. I do agree on the compromise. 

3 hours ago, Harry said:

Gut tells me GRR will ride the GFS. They tend to ( not always but usually ) follow whatever model ( GFS vs euro situation ) has the highest snowfall over the office and the GFS has that. Not saying if it's right or wrong but that's how they usually roll at this office. 

Judging by dtx graphic, they're riding the gfs too.

riding the south end of the GFS and the north end of the Euro. And the talk that the euro caved to the gfs,at least on the overunning event  last time is not what occurred in NE Illinois. Both models in concert worked towards a consensus. GFS tip toed south and Euro north. But again 72 hours before the event Euro/Gem had me with not a flake while GFS was consistent with 4-8". I ended up with 6".  This time every run of the GFS/NAM makes me worry this thing will amp and I'll get a sleet storm but than the Euro gives me hope a compromise/blend  puts me in the sweet spot.

Just now, Cary67 said:

GFS and NAM caving to weaker drier SE solution. Mchenrysnow and I need to move to DTW for snow. Weather is repetitive

1" far NW LOT, 3-6" metro, 4-7" southside over to DTW 

you've been damaged. you need to have faith. Though that out come would be the same as last. And to to say the GFS caved would be false. This time yesterday the Euro basically had the Chicago metro snowless. So in essence it has surrendered a touch to it's American brethren. And again, today is Tuesday. It's a Thursday event.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Baum said:

riding the south end of the GFS and the north end of the Euro. And the talk that the euro caved to the gfs,at least on the overunning event  last time is not what occurred in NE Illinois. Both models in concert worked towards a consensus. GFS tip toed south and Euro north. But again 72 hours before the event Euro/Gem had me with not a flake while GFS was consistent with 4-8". I ended up with 6".  This time every run of the GFS/NAM makes me worry this thing will amp and I'll get a sleet storm but than the Euro gives me hope a compromise/blend  puts me in the sweet spot.

If the GFS was showing 4-8" at 72 hrs and the Euro nothing, the Euro must have tip toed north a decent amt for you to end up with 6". Although the gradient was steep south to north

2 minutes ago, Baum said:

you've been damaged. you need to have faith. Though that out come would be the same as last. And to to say the GFS caved would be false. This time yesterday the Euro basically had the Chicago metro snowless. So in essence it has surrendered a touch to it's American brethren. And again, today is Tuesday. It's a Thursday 

Fair enough but if this ends up having a GHDIII path after persistent amped NW GFS runs would be hard not to think it caved at least incrementally over the next 36 hrs. Along with Euro edging north

1 minute ago, A-L-E-K said:

expecting the american guidance to start moving hard towards the eps with 12z, plumes still underwhelming and 6z had that first steps look

cary#s call looks good

I think his call looks good as well. Always easier to take the lower end of guidance in a snow call. But to me, a 3-6" call through the metro already says while the GFS was to far north and wet  with the main snow band it didn't have ORD at zero which was the Euro look a day ago. Your own call supports what the non american models showed, and the GEM still shows. Fun to debate, but a read back through the previuos event shows that while the GFS was a touch to north and wet the Euro had to work back north to get LOT center zones in the game. 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Cary67 said:

If the GFS was showing 4-8" at 72 hrs and the Euro nothing, the Euro must have tip toed north a decent amt for you to end up with 6". 

yep on Sunday 1/30 00Z Euro run I was out of the game. Euro worked back to this. As a sidenote, I'll post Canadian Mean. Look familar? Posting old maps as an attempt to show where a compromise on this event is probably in the cards. Note: GFS always had me in a solid event albeit overdone in the end, but still a warning criteria event.

79621b6a62e14008fedc0f88ce4f9cf9.jpg

0112f4bb5b4c9f85ee8818cedb56f014.jpg

• Like 2

^

I'll let the pro back me up:

THE ECMWF CONTINUED, AS NOTED ABOVE, TO HOLD IN ITS "MIDDLE  
GROUND" SOLUTION, WHILE THE OTHER COMMONLY CITED OPERATIONAL  
MODELS HELD FARTHER SOUTH (WITH NORTHWARD SHIFTS SINCE 24-HOURS  
AGO).

RC from todays AFD

And this is no way throwing full support in the direction of the American models. 

I have a very different perspective with the models.  They are much improved within 72 hours (honestly within 120 hours).  Yes there are difference and each models have biases. No they are not perfect.   Living through the 70s, 80s and 90s and even somewhat into the 00s.  It was common with 24 hours to have a 6-12" forecast of snow to verify as a T-2" wiff or be mostly rain (or the opposite would occur).  Surprise last second storms rarely happen any more.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Thundersnow12 said:

How are either of this caving to a weaker/drier solution? 

EBD34726-F5A0-45A2-AF0F-6A258E928317.png.81ca467b5add695895d5ff54efe781c1.png

DF7071CF-4A90-4C35-BE82-3847ECBF1779.png.c42317884746bfb97fdf2e5872fe23b3.png

Not a big fan of Kuchera except for clipper systems. They seemed inflated during the last storm. For this storm more anticipating GFS and NAM will keep ticking SE to meet Euro edging north after the 6Z runs blinked. Granted previous post had too much of an emotional component

• Like 1

Just now, Cary67 said:

Not a big fan of Kuchera except for clipper systems. They seemed inflated during the last storm. For this storm more anticipating GFS and NAM will keep ticking SE to meet Euro edging north after the 6Z runs blinked. Granted previous post had too much of an emotional component

snow is a highly emotional game.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• Chicago Storm changed the title to Feb 16-17th Winter Storm