• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Feb 16-17th Winter Storm

Chicago Storm

It feels like it has been a long time since we had a storm strengthening as it entered our area and we have become conditioned to expect a weakening POS every time. Maybe this is the time we reverse that and the storm will be GFS/NAM like.  It is possible that the Euro and its foreign buddies could be wrong this time.  Yes the 6z GFS is south/drier but i will happily take my 10 and run. People mentioning the lackluster look of the plumes well for GHDIII they were showing me getting 12-18 and I got 3.

Here's to hoping that the GFS/NAM hold steady or improve from their 6z runs

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, ILSNOW said:

It feels like it has been a long time since we had a storm strengthening as it entered our area and we have become conditioned to expect a weakening POS every time. Maybe this is the time we reverse that and the storm will be GFS/NAM like.  It is possible that the Euro and its foreign buddies could be wrong this time.  Yes the 6z GFS is south/drier but i will happily take my 10 and run. People mentioning the lackluster look of the plumes well for GHDIII they were showing me getting 12-18 and I got 3.

Here's to hoping that the GFS/NAM hold steady or improve from their 6z runs

vort is shearing out even on the gfs

Have to sell the GFS and NAM kuchie numbers. They’re dumping 6 hour totals of 12-18” in spots. 2-3” per hour rates just aren’t going to happen IMO. Really think 8-12” amounts are a good range for LOT’s CWA, wherever that may be. Probably somewhere in the I-88/I-80 corridor.

6z Euro held serve. Battle continues…

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, StormChaser4Life said:

Man nw trend is not being denied this time. If it keeps up I will stay all ice or end up getting all rain. Was kind of looking forward to a wind swept snow since last snowstorm was pretty windless. Hoping this can correct south a little. I'm right on the southern edge of the heaviest swath.

I wonder if it's because we are late in the winter. Are late winter storms more likely to trend northwest ?

2 minutes ago, Snownado said:

I wonder if it's because we are late in the winter. Are late winter storms more likely to trend northwest ?

Climatology does favor it this time of year

1 minute ago, snowstormcanuck said:

Would have bet the 12z NAM would have come SE.  Weather is like a box of chocolates.

Honestly I thought so as well. My gut is saying it will track further se but I could be wrong. This does have better upper level support than last storm for a stronger more nw storm. 

• Chicago Storm changed the title to Feb 16-17th Winter Storm