• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 3-4 significant icing event for the interior, some sleet/snow possible. Coast mostly rain.

NJwx85

19 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

sure and in all my 40 plus years I have never ever lost power in ANY winter storm of any type and I've seen them all.

It happens in hurricanes and thunderstorm events like you said.

Happens here on a regular basis every few years.  Guess PSE&G is just not as good as Con Ed.

2 minutes ago, mweisenfeld said:

Happens here on a regular basis every few years.  Guess PSE&G is just not as good as Con Ed.

He should consider himself lucky.

Lost power for multiple days during the October snowstorm from 2011 and of course during Irene, Floyd, Sandy and Isaias. 

4 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

He should consider himself lucky.

Lost power for multiple days during the October snowstorm from 2011 and of course during Irene, Floyd, Sandy and Isaias. 

Sandy here and that tornado event we had last November were my two biggest ones....25 hours and 3 hours.

There's been others like that here but nothing of note since they were all an hour or less.  Only had 1.5" of snow in Octosnow so not really enough to do anything, plus I don't remember the winds being high in that event.

Sometimes we lose power just from wind alone, but these are all minor power outages of less than an hour.

13 minutes ago, SnoSki14 said:

GFS takes a little longer to cool down vs 12z

Would not be surprised if we see the NAM/GFS switch places the next 24-30 hours...this is not a CAD event but still a low level CAA setup that the NAM would handle better inside 24 hours so don't be shocked assuming the RGEM/Euro camp wins this one that the GFS/NAM flop places on timing 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, forkyfork said:

i did look a little more closely at this setup and one thing we have in favor of avoiding an ice storm is the trajectory of the high. it builds in from the nw and not due north which could delay the low level cold over the appalachians 

i remember this happening with the storm that crushed texas last winter

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

Sandy here and that tornado event we had last November were my two biggest ones....25 hours and 3 hours.

There's been others like that here but nothing of note since they were all an hour or less.  Only had 1.5" of snow in Octosnow so not really enough to do anything, plus I don't remember the winds being high in that event.

Sometimes we lose power just from wind alone, but these are all minor power outages of less than an hour.

Not windy during Octosnow but heavy wet stuff on trees with leaves led to many broken limbs and branches. I drove home Saturday night from Hackensack and it was an obstacle course on the side streets with downed trees and wires. Once you hit the city- nada

• Sad 1

52 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

I made it past sandy neighboring boroughs lost power for up to 3 weeks......I live 2 miles from the sub station......

3 day later...some drunk asshole took out a telephone pole 100 yards from the substation.....

Was powerless for a week and a half due to crews working on existing issues.  

Was a kick in the nutz

• Sad 2

16 minutes ago, wthrmn654 said:

rap_2022-02-02-21Z_039_42.667_282.126_38

These gradients are impressive and note trajectory of 10m winds in the HV. This air will spill south like a river.  Should it catch precip in time for significant icing south of I84 is the unknown, and for a greater population, a very disturbing outcome for impacts.

3 minutes ago, Shades said:

These gradients are impressive and note trajectory of 10m winds in the HV. This air will spill south like a river.  Should it catch precip in time for significant icing south of I84 is the unknown, and for a greater population, a very disturbing outcome for impacts.

Yeah,  looks to come in like a lion that cold

5 minutes ago, scoobydoo1 said:

I made it past sandy neighboring boroughs lost power for up to 3 weeks......I live 2 miles from the sub station......

3 day later...some drunk asshole took out a telephone pole 100 yards from the substation.....

Was a kick in the nutz

That was horrendous, and oh, the lines at the pump!

Worst I have ever seen.

We had another massive power outage in August 2003 I think it was, but that was rodent related, not weather related.

25 minutes ago, romba said:

Not windy during Octosnow but heavy wet stuff on trees with leaves led to many broken limbs and branches. I drove home Saturday night from Hackensack and it was an obstacle course on the side streets with downed trees and wires. Once you hit the city- nada

The city and east of the city didn't get much but I remember November 2012 was sort of like that with 8 inches of heavy wet snow a week after Sandy.  We didnt lose power but driving in it was scary with large limbs and branches down.

11 minutes ago, scoobydoo1 said:

Was a kick in the nutz

Power out for irene for a few days.  But Nothing beats getting power back after about a week from sandy  for 2 hours, then lose it again for another week. All because the underground cable on your street failed lol.  

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Intensewind002 said:

Idk how NJ loses power so frequently, I haven’t lost power back home on long island since Sandy. It’s not like theres no trees in my neighborhood either

Very old infrastructure. Also LI has LIPA and PSE&G LI. NJ has O&R, PSE&G and JCP&L.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, LibertyBell said:

That was horrendous, and oh, the lines at the pump!

Worst I have ever seen.

We had another massive power outage in August 2003 I think it was, but that was rodent related, not weather related.

There was a hole in the wall gas station by 31 Flemington circle... No lines... Got lucky.. Wawa was like a parade 

• Like 1

• NJwx85 changed the title to February 3-4 significant icing event for the interior, some sleet/snow possible. Coast mostly rain.
  • IrishRob17 unpinned this topic