• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
February 3-4 significant icing event for the interior, some sleet/snow possible. Coast mostly rain.

NJwx85

42 minutes ago, HVSnowLover said:

Daytime 40 is one thing, two straight nights above freezing and tomorrow night with rain and approaching 50 is another. Although out on LI there is so much it probably won't be all gone but in the five boroughs i'd expect very little left on Friday morning.    

Though my temp forecasts from now and weekend don't have me getting close to 50, 45 maybe.  Lows at night 32-35.

2 minutes ago, wthrmn654 said:

Though my temp forecasts Berrien now and weekend don't have me getting close to 50, 45 maybe.  Lows at night 32-35.

Yea its definitely a tricky forecast but I am sorta ignoring the GFS because it's on it's own and going with a Euro/CMC/Ukie blend which would have NYC/LI well in the 40s with lots of rain tomorrow night  before this possible ice threat even happens.  

I wouldn't underestimate ice accretion at any temperature below freezing.  True 30-32 probably isn't as harmful as the 20s, but I've seen it where my location gets stuck at 28 or so, or gets into an evaporational cooling situation that shaves a couple more degrees off.  Then we have bigger problems, as we did in the December, 2019 storm.  It didn't affect a very large area, but was highly disruptive for some out this way.

11 minutes ago, gpsnavigator said:

I wouldn't underestimate ice accretion at any temperature below freezing.  True 30-32 probably isn't as harmful as the 20s, but I've seen it where my location gets stuck at 28 or so, or gets into an evaporational cooling situation that shaves a couple more degrees off.  Then we have bigger problems, as we did in the December, 2019 storm.  It didn't affect a very large area, but was highly disruptive for some out this way.

Yes temp at 28 for hours would be a big problem. No model showing this for NYC Metro right now except GFS. Even the NAM which usually picks up on this kind of situation well is pretty warm so I'm just basing off current guidance. Also what I'm reacting to is the models starting to show more of that classic SW to NE freezing line as opposed to North to South. I am not ignoring this could change and become more of a threat for NYC and is already a significant threat for Northern Westcher, Rockland, and Orange Counties. 

Any amount of ice is an issue but over 0.3” or so can create real problems and is at the point where tree limbs start to break. Hopefully that’s overdone. If the precip is light it might create more of a problem actually. Lighter rain is more likely to freeze on contact vs heavy rain much of which would run off at temps above 28 or so. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, HVSnowLover said:

Yea its definitely a tricky forecast but I am sorta ignoring the GFS because it's on it's own and going with a Euro/CMC/Ukie blend which would have NYC/LI well in the 40s with lots of rain tomorrow night  before this possible ice threat even happens.  

Gfs historically did better , key word, better forecasting cold temps.  I wouldn't fully discount it yet. 

8 hours ago, weatherpruf said:

I lose power in most major events, and I live near SI on the NJ side....I haven't lost power in ice, but in all of the big hurricanes/tropical storms and in the October 2011 snowstorm. This has to do with downed trees mostly. So the ice has to be pretty bad to bring down trees, and I don't think that's happened in awhile. Curiously, the block in back of me usually doesn't lose power. Haven't lost power in winter, though that Oct storm was winter temps, but not enough to freeze pipes. It's such a threat I have installed water pressure backup pumps for sump pumps, since we typically do not lose water ( though one town did from some reason during Sandy, according to the contractor who installed it ).

sure and in all my 40 plus years I have never ever lost power in ANY winter storm of any type and I've seen them all.

It happens in hurricanes and thunderstorm events like you said.

• NJwx85 changed the title to February 3-4 significant icing event for the interior, some sleet/snow possible. Coast mostly rain.
  • IrishRob17 unpinned this topic