joxey
Winter 2021/2022 February Thread

AMZ8990

On 2/5/2022 at 12:16 PM, Holston_River_Rambler said:

Alright long range GFS in banter, work your magic:

giphy.gif?cid=790b761186a3db24b6af47d379

kMMsC4M.png

1 hour ago, Carvers Gap said:

Keep an eye on what comes after the big cutter in the Plains.  Thunder here...and you know what might come next.  TIMS models activation may be in order.  Modeling is showing a system to our SE(low road) right after that cutter.  The northwest trend is the real deal during late Feb.

That is the time frame for the GFS's big Chatt system from the 12z Feb 5 run. 

47 minutes ago, Holston_River_Rambler said:

It was a model we invented (Thunder In  the Mountains) based on the old saying that thunder in the mountains in winter means snow soon. 

It's funny, I remember my grandpa ranting about this when I was a kid and he seemed to predict snow better than the local mets lol

• Like 2

Is it really a flood threat until janetjanet starts posting here? 

But yeah, the  past several runs of the GFS have been showing someone getting 5"+ between the Ohio Valley and us. So far most of those runs favor the OH Valley. The EPS mean is up to around 3.5 - 4" across most of the state. I'd say 25% of the members get us over 5 - 6" and one member gives ye olden "get your waterwings and floating flamingos ready" amounts of 8 - 11 inches over eastern parts of TN. 

Hopefully the CFS is right and we get a break by early - mid March from this pattern that seems to be setting up. It seems to me to be like the pattern we've had, in the sense that the northern stream kept throwing energy at the Gulf, but it just never synced up with southern waves. So there were a bunch of chances for something big, but it never pulled it off. This new pattern looks like it will keep throwing energy at us in ways that would be conducive to flooding, but hopefully it doesn't sync everything up just right. 

And if the EPS is correct, we go from a flood pattern and back to a huge eastern PAC block which would set the stage for some cold wx in March.  The GEFS is less enthused.  I am a lot less bullish on a warm and early spring than I was a week ago.  We are definitely going to see a warmup prior to any cold along with massive return flow and moisture.

Major flip on the Euro Weeklies around week 2.5.  They have turned quite cold.  Of course, it could be a mirage, but those are some abrupt changes that are showing up on LR modeling.  At least to me, that is a pretty significant storm signal which we don't always see during March these days.  I don't think winter is over.  It may take a break for a couple of weeks, but that looks not warm for early March.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Carvers Gap said:

Major flip on the Euro Weeklies around week 2.5.  They have turned quite cold.  Of course, it could be a mirage, but those are some abrupt changes that are showing up on LR modeling.  At least to me, that is a pretty significant storm signal which we don't always see during March these days.  I don't think winter is over.  It may take a break for a couple of weeks, but that looks not warm for early March.

Carver, I think the only way that happens is if the mjo gets in colder phases moving forward. If it quickly moves through the warm phases, then we may have another opportunity. I'd be fine with strong ULL.

3 minutes ago, Holston_River_Rambler said:

GFS has ben showing some strat. warming at the pole pretty consistently at the end of its run, for the past few cycles. More than I've seen so far this year when I've paid attention to it. If it can hold for a few more days it might have some legs. 

ajXB8yh.png

I like your optimism. I personally don't want to see it because by the time it kicks in, it will be too late for most around here imo. Maybe help another stretch pv event soon

• Like 1

Just wanted to mention that the mountain wave event for Thursday is looking very impressive. The 850mb wind chart is what you'd expect for a damaging wind event in the typical mountain wave areas. There are obviously other factors in these events (850mb wind speed and cross barrier wind direction only explain about 50% of the variability in MW wind gusts at Camp Creek), but this has many characteristics of a very strong wind storm along the mountains and foothills.

850wh.us_ov.png

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

It may or may not work out, but that is a nasty looking shot of cold showing up again on modeling this morning.  I don't think lower elevations are out of the game.  We just haven't seen a crazy March in a while.  Even recently, I have seen light, measurable snow into April IMBY.  It may well flip back warm during that time frame, but the speed of the flip on modeling could indicate significant cold relative to norms.  We'll see.  Still have a couple of weeks until that time frame gets here.  A lot can and will change at that time.   For now, we have the 0z GEFS/EPS/Euro Weeklies on board.   It could bust.   The much discussed 10th-20th timeframe will not verify as cold or snowy as modeled at range. 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Mr. Kevin said:

I like your optimism. I personally don't want to see it because by the time it kicks in, it will be too late for most around here imo. Maybe help another stretch pv event soon

Yeah if it happened in early March no one in this area would likely see the effects for at least 3 weeks, but I figured I'd throw it out there since it has been so strong this winter.  But if it can promote some late March blocking in the AO and NAO areas, it might help keep any dynamic upper lows south of us. 

• Thanks 1

I agree. Once we get into March I’m thinking about spring, lawn, landscaping and outside projects. Lots of golf but we typically play 12 months of the year.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, PowellVolz said:

I agree. Once we get into March I’m thinking about spring, lawn, landscaping and outside projects. Lots of golf but we typically play 12 months of the year.

Same. Mountains and some upper Plateau areas can score later, but it typically ends up as a cold rain here. Not really interested in that. If it is going to rain, then I at least want it warmer. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Holston_River_Rambler said:

Yeah if it happened in early March no one in this area would likely see the effects for at least 3 weeks, but I figured I'd throw it out there since it has been so strong this winter.  But if it can promote some late March blocking in the AO and NAO areas, it might help keep any dynamic upper lows south of us. 

Yeah, IF favorable phases coincide with strat induced blocking, chances of a storm is possible in March and a blockbuster at that. However, LATE March cuts down the odds particularly in lower eles..

• Mr Bob unpinned this topic