• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter 2021/2022 February Thread

AMZ8990

The GFS at 12z is a swing and a miss.  Again, modeling is having trouble with timing/location/amount/intensity of energy over the SE US and the incoming wave from the northern front.  The 12z ICON(usually conservative) has a blizzard for the big cities in the NE.  This is a highly complex set-up where timing matters.  This is one which could sneak-up on folks.  For now, I have set the usual 1" of snow bar.  Anything higher is a bonus.   This is a low probability event with a big ceiling if that makes any sense at all.  

• Like 2

For now, I am waiting on the warm-up that folks have been promising since late December.   LOL and just kidding around.  I went out to water the onions in our hoop house and cold frame, and the ground is frozen on the outside of each.  Inside it is toasty warm.  Season extenders are awesome if you garden.  

The MJO....Has any model  been right this winter in regards to the MJO?  It is in phase 2 now, and is pretty much stalled for a 8-12 days in 2 and 3.  I wonder out loud if maybe we see a false warm-up yet again with just a ridge rolling in from the west after the 20th?  I actually think we see warming after the 20th for an undetermined amount of time.  Looks to me like a "cold, reload/warm east, and cold returns pattern" after the 20th.  This colder pattern has certainly been slow to burn out.  Maybe it will warm-up by spring.    

• Like 2

CMC 0/12z looks really consistent with a storm that doesn't materialize until basically out to sea, gfs 12z looks similiar.  This has been a familiar pattern for what seems like the last 30 days, progressive flow easterly development.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

44 minutes ago, Bigbald said:

CMC 0/12z looks really consistent with a storm that doesn't materialize until basically out to sea, gfs 12z looks similiar.  This has been a familiar pattern for what seems like the last 30 days, progressive flow easterly development.

Yep.  Pacific driven pattern sometimes make confluence very tough IF the system doesn't originate in the northern stream.   We need a clipper fest and not "thread the needle" phasing where there is nothing to prevent the system from sliding OTS.  If we could simply get a legit cutter, that would help our chances.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Threading the needle is the only hope for Southeast Tenn. Otherwise Carvers is right it's mostly strike-outs for the rest of the Region. What am I doing in this thread? 

Upper Plateau and Mountains could cash in if we can get a buffet line of clippers going. Last time I personally got snow from a clipper was probably KC circa 1990, lol!

Does not count NC WV ski trips.

• Like 6

26 minutes ago, nrgjeff said:

Threading the needle is the only hope for Southeast Tenn. Otherwise Carvers is right it's mostly strike-outs for the rest of the Region. What am I doing in this thread? 

Upper Plateau and Mountains could cash in if we can get a buffet line of clippers going. Last time I personally got snow from a clipper was probably KC circa 1990, lol!

Does not count NC WV ski trips.

Yeah, I should clarify....clippers are normally north of I-40.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Carvers Gap said:

Yep.  Pacific driven pattern sometimes make confluence very tough IF the system doesn't originate in the northern stream.   We need a clipper fest and not "thread the needle" phasing where there is nothing to prevent the system from sliding OTS.  If we could simply get a legit cutter, that would help our chances.  

Yep. With this Pattern we need digging Clippers. The s.stream actually hurts us with those sometimes. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Daniel Boone said:

Yep. With this Pattern we need digging Clippers. The s.stream actually hurts us with those sometimes. 

It is the exact opposite of a low in the Lakes in that respect, right?  We get a good northern stream piece of energy...unless there is a phase, we just want the clipper or northern stream event.

The 18z GFS has all kinds of stuff going on including a clean pass of an inland/Apps runner for what was originally a cutter!  LOL.  See hour 228.  This could get kind of crazy.   There is so much energy in the pattern after the 10th.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Mr Bob unpinned this topic