Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
OBS/DISCO - The Historic James Blizzard of 2022

TalcottWx

9 hours ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Nice. It was a nice snow snowstorm, its just frustrating to have a truly epic outcome so close by...literally.

That’s been my theme for over a decade now. I guess I should count Feb13, even though I wasn’t in town. So this area specifically has missed all timers to the east, south, west, and north by like 25miles 9yrs running now. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, H2Otown_WX said:

Yes sir...should I come over for a few tokes so we can talk of the winters of yesteryear when we used to actually get big storms? I'm moving to Little Rock next month for a weather observing job though. :(

Sorry to hear. I'll have a sympathy card in the mail by the end of the week...

image.jpeg.94f0d8462fb7c4271e9606c27f3a96a8.jpeg

• Haha 1

Just now, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Nobody finds it a little odd that NWS BOX doesn’t have a single snow total report from Western Massachusetts across three counties? 
I think they are embarrassed by their forecast and won’t put the totals up lol

News out of Box this morning is that they are denying the existence of W. Mass...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, H2Otown_WX said:

Yes sir...should I come over for a few tokes so we can talk of the winters of yesteryear when we used to actually get big storms? I'm moving to Little Rock next month for a weather observing job though. :(

Congrats. Not good for winter weather, they can get good ice storms. I wouldn’t want to deal with severe there though. 

My door is always open to :violin: about the big storms of the past.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chrisrotary12 said:

@40/70 Benchmarkin all seriousness...you might consider moving to a more favorable climatological spot. Our location between the ORH hills/Monads and coastal front is going to sit in the subby zone a lot. I know this is likely one of those "easier said than done" things, but if you're going to invest this much emotionally only to be consistently let down, then might want to change the situation. 

I used to be as passionate as him but sometimes things are out of our control. I feel for him, I am in one of the worst places for big snows. And I don't really understand how he only got a foot 

I also am confused about BID only getting 14 inches and Narragansett and Kingston areas only getting 14 to 16 inches. I saw the banding and heavy echoes...seems they should've been closer to 20

11 minutes ago, dryslot said:

You look in the PNS for your area to see what the others are around you, Then see your not at the top and magically you find a few more inches.

Nod.webp

3 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Haha we laugh but you know it happens.  Looking at nearby snowfall totals and then “estimating” a total.

I have no idea what you guys are talking about. None. None whatsoever.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Haha we laugh but you know it happens.  Looking at nearby snowfall totals and then “estimating” a total.

What happens if you do that, then a bunch of new obs came in and it becomes clear that the first obs you guestimated on were crap measurements in a drift or measuring roof snow? Do you correct or just stay the course?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, JC-CT said:

What happens if you do that, then a bunch of new obs came in and it becomes clear that the first obs you guestimated on were crap measurements in a drift or measuring roof snow? Do you correct or just stay the course?

If its really out there from surrounding and similar areas, It usually gets tossed especially if its the public sending them in and not CoCoRaHS or a Trained Spotter with an ID.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

The I-91 corridor from Springfield to Brattleboro is generally not favorable for big snow relative to eastern areas. 

When I worked in Agawam in the early 90's they actually got some good storms and a deep pack. I remember inspecting a house in 16 acres and the snow was above my waist. But typically they're too far west.

7 hours ago, dmcginvt said:

Stowe VT, 0 inches, we were the cold high that made it happen.  IT was cold.  You are welcome.  temp has actually gone up from 1F to 4F tonight

The cold was indeed legit. Here in the Champlain Valley, we were a tad below (horizontal advection) ground blizzard criteria with 6 hours of steady north winds of 16-21mph with gusts between 24-31mph for the duration. There was only two hourly obs of snowfall for the entire storm (some lake-enhanced diamond dust) and the high was 1°F with a low of -8°F. I’m about 18mi south of Burlington. There were some vertical advection components to the storm here with numerous 100m snow devils, likely terrain and lake-enhanced induced since I am just southeast of the lake. 

• Like 1