• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Powerful Multi-regional/ multi-faceted east coastal storm now above medium confidence: Jan 29 -30th, MA to NE, with snow and mix combining high wind, and tides. Unusual early confidence ...

Typhoon Tip

20 minutes ago, duncanwxnh said:

In the old days we didn't have these models to drive us nuts. So many have forgot the science without the machines. I was an intern at Bos NWS the night before the Blizzard of 78 and the Senior I was with HIT the storm 100%. He didn't say 2 feet (because he didn't want to panic the public) but he knew 2-3 feet were coming.  Thank you all btw because I love the 'analysis' comments. But some of these jokes today have had this ole man ROFL ing

I remember Don Kent saying the morning of the '78 Blizzard that all was contingent on the upper level trough merging with the southern system.  This was just hours before the wall of snow came in.  Things were a lot different back then with the lack of technology.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 78Blizzard said:

I remember Don Kent saying the morning of the '78 Blizzard that all was contingent on the upper level trough merging with the southern system.  This was just hours before the wall of snow came in.  Things were a lot different back then with the lack of technology.

Unlike today when we’re still arguing and head scratching up to the first flake lol. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, ROOSTA said:

Grew-up watching Jack Chase and Don Kent. Kent lived in N. Wey. Stood-out in the neighborhood because he had an anemometer rooftop. I once tried to visit him, must have been a bad day. Told me to screw! LOL The first true meteorologist, a giant, pioneer for many who followed. 
In his illustrious words. "Friday will be a weather breeder day."    

I had the good fortune to meet him and watch the noon newscast in the studio.  I was only a kid of 10 or 12 back then and my mother had to take me in to WBZ.  I had written him a letter which led to the in person meeting.  He told me to study hard and go to the right colleges, the few at the time that had a meteorology curriculum.  I biked on several occasions from my home in Roslindale to his weather shack in N. Weymouth.  He was never there though.

How's that for a weenie...

• Like 3