Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 2022 Obs/Disco

Torch Tiger

14 minutes ago, Go Kart Mozart said:

Apparently we have the least snow between NJ and all points east.  At least subsidence zones get good wind.  10 days of tracking for this, oy vey.  

oops, wrong thread

Still a decent storm for us. Bridgeport reported 6.9 at 7 AM so we should be around 8. I have to measure but looks close to 8 here.

On 1/27/2022 at 8:51 AM, MJO812 said:

gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_us_38.png

This is the time range personally watching..

The aspect for D6/ overrunning is real.  It's been trending E across the nation spanning 3.5 ( ~) run cycles across all guidance/means - obviously folks are onto to that so no need.  

But I'm interested in what happens after that - mentioned so at the end of the Jan thread ... D8-12 still looks so

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

This is the time range personally watching..

The aspect for D6/ overrunning is real.  It's been trending E across the nation spanning 3.5 ( ~) run cycles across all guidance/means - obviously folks are onto to that so no need.  

But I'm interested in what happens after that - mentioned so at the end of the Jan thread ... D8-12 still looks so

Don’t forget the mid week icestorm 

16 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Don’t forget the mid week icestorm 

well ..that's what I had in mind when I said D6 ... there's a wave of low presser involved that passes either NW, over head, or underneath ( tho less likely the latter) around that day, but ..yeah, if the colder solutions were to pan out than the leading boundary would likely end up suppressing south of the PIT-BOS line, and that enters a question of overrunning/mix .. ice from NW to SE, out ahead of any such wave of low pressure. 

It's a messy look, I'll give you that.  It's hard to pin point this last coastal storm?   Try pinning down an icer from this range.  pretty much can't be done. Only trend recognition

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

well ..that's what I had in mind when I said D6 ... there's a wave of low presser involved that passes either NW, over head, or underneath ( tho less likely the latter) around that day, but ..yeah, if the colder solutions were to pan out than the leading boundary would likely end up suppressing south of the PIT-BOS line, and that enters a question of overrunning/mix .. ice from NW to SE, out ahead of any such wave of low pressure. 

It's a messy look, I'll give you that.  It's hard to pin point this last coastal storm?   Try pinning down an icer from this range.  pretty much can't be done. Only trend recognition

Ensembles/ EPS show a colder solution than the op. Either way.. the furnace snow melter is gone 

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

Next week looks great for NNE. And it’s not a million hours away. And it’s not an incredibly complex offshore phasing setup. This may be the one. 

Ah yes ... it's always nicer to post-mortem our way out of an under-achiever ( relative to IMBY's of course - ), into another assurance for d-drip week, to keep us from crashing too hard. 

Haha... it's funny but true. I remember we use to talk about this up in the weather lab at UML back in college, how there's like a post-partum depression kinda of psycho babble after storms end.  I mean you're in after glow but ... by the third day, that wears off and if you are looking at an anathemic pattern, that can be a bit of a withdraw likeness. 

But this GGEM solution just converted a thaw into an cold rain --> ice/mix --> snow ordeal ... Big too actually. You know regardless of whether that happens or not for IMBYs, where that does take place, that may last a full 24 hours to transition through that. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

It's an interesting system.  It's what I like to call a maintenance event - it helps keep it cold but it isn't rooted in a pattern change that is going into cold(exit) from a milder(colder) regime.  

I don't know what that means - I have engagement fatigue and can't think straight. I'm just saying it sneaky in between the larger synoptic indicators. 

Tell you what..I'm gonna go look at the individual members of ens'

17 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

It's an interesting system.  It's what I like to call a maintenance event - it helps keep it cold but it isn't rooted in a pattern change that is going into cold(exit) from a milder(colder) regime.  

I don't know what that means - I have engagement fatigue and can't think straight. I'm just saying it sneaky in between the larger synoptic indicators. 

Tell you what..I'm gonna go look at the individual members of ens'

the antecedent airmass is warm and stale but a high feeds in cold and it gradually turns to sleet and then to snow?  something like that with a cold press?  That's be a nice event.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, 78Blizzard said:

Euro looks great for Friday for those of us who just jacked.  Euro called it for days in advance, so why would I doubt them on this next one.  :lol:

Ukie has a few inches here, too.

actually .. it's so suppressed it almost doesn't exist.  The frontal passage has sped up in time over the recent days' worth of runs ..but whether there is any return flow right away that runs over it and creates something mixy and what not was also a newness to the Fri/Thur time frame.  This Euro run doesn't so much establish enough of that and just keeps the whole thing as a cold front with a wave S. 

but christ... who knows.    I think we need watch the D 8-11 range

• Like 1