Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA - Winter 2021/2022

Bubbler86

4 hours ago, Blizzard of 93 said:

I was recently thinking of our “good” Winters. 
There is usually a lot of waiting and down time between good periods even in the good Winters.

How about the Winter of 14-15? We had a snowstorm right before Thanksgiving. Then we had almost nothing until around January 20th. The good pattern then locked in from late January until mid-March. We ended up about 10 inches of snow above normal for the season.

Patience was rewarded that year.

December that season was a big trainwreck.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Voyager said:

It looks my first night of lows in the teens likely. Current temp is 26 with a forecast low of 17. I suppose I'll be propane torching the trailer valve and inlet tomorrow morning. 

Yes the days of frozen tanker valves and the outlet is frozen too. I don't miss those days unloading tankers.

2 minutes ago, mahantango#1 said:

Yes the days of frozen tanker valves and the outlet is frozen too. I don't miss those days unloading tankers.

The biggest thing we have to worry about is the vent. If that puppy freezes, and we don't catch it and open up the dome, it's bye bye trailer.

5 hours ago, Bubbler86 said:

I think it may be time to pause fans at sporting events...for a few weeks at least.  Just my opinion. 

5 hours ago, Atomixwx said:

It's time to pause sports. There's no entertainment factor coming from depleted squads. 

I struggle with this on so many levels. Overall, this is sort of the ongoing theme since all of this began...so many questions, so many opinions, so many "absolutes" and yet so few straightforward answers. 

I don't know what's right. I do know that there are compelling reasons to continue and to pause. I'm just not sure which is the better option right now. You both make very valid points. 

6 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

I struggle with this on so many levels. Overall, this is sort of the ongoing theme since all of this began...so many questions, so many opinions, so many "absolutes" and yet so few straightforward answers. 

I don't know what's right. I do know that there are compelling reasons to continue and to pause. I'm just not sure which is the better option right now. You both make very valid points. 

In my opinion, one of the worst parts of the early days of the pandemic was not even having sports to take one’s mind off anything happening in the world. May we never forget how much that sucked. I certainly understand why they were shut down at that time, and they rightfully should have been, but there has to be some sort of balance now.

8 minutes ago, TimB84 said:

In my opinion, one of the worst parts of the early days of the pandemic was not even having sports to take one’s mind off anything happening in the world. May we never forget how much that sucked. I certainly understand why they were shut down at that time, and they rightfully should have been, but there has to be some sort of balance now.

I think a pause of fans for a few weeks should be enough time to allow a better view of how bad this is going to be (or not).   Not sure they shut down sports all together.   It is literally spreading like wildfire through the NBA though.  Would have to think most of that is coming from getting it on court. 

I think the balance would be a stoppage now, for two weeks, all players under any sort of contract with a team are isolated in a facility of the franchise's choosing. Allow the transmission amongst the teams to cease and then hit the restart button and fans are gone until spring when it warms up and/or the variants slow down. 

This shit ain't going away, but until we have a tamiflu-like medicine that treats the symptoms, we can't allow biological bombs to occur 60,000 people at a time. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

I think a pause of fans for a few weeks should be enough time to allow a better view of how bad this is going to be (or not).   Not sure they shut down sports all together. 

I could live with a pause of fans, but my morale is already in the shitter at the moment and I’m sure there are many others who would say the same, and having distractions helps immensely.

36 minutes ago, Atomixwx said:

I think the balance would be a stoppage now, for two weeks, all players under any sort of contract with a team are isolated in a facility of the franchise's choosing. Allow the transmission amongst the teams to cease and then hit the restart button and fans are gone until spring when it warms up and/or the variants slow down. 

This shit ain't going away, but until we have a tamiflu-like medicine that treats the symptoms, we can't allow biological bombs to occur 60,000 people at a time. 

Would be tough to not allow the players a Christmas celebration. 

At 11:15pm I'm down to 24.3 with a dew point of 20.  I'm pretty sure my coldest this season so far has been 23.  With clear moonlit skies and calm winds I think I've got a shot at close to 20 by morning.  I'm just wondering when I'll finally break 20 and reach the teens.  I think a low in the teens came really late last winter as well.  Last winter my coldest low for the entire season was just +5 F!  I think I only had that one single digit low just once all season.  And the winter before that my coldest was just +9 F.  Single digits have been few and far between over the last few years.  Of course, a nice snowpack does wonders for getting low temps down closer to zero at least a few times in any given winter.

7 hours ago, CarlislePaWx said:

At 11:15pm I'm down to 24.3 with a dew point of 20.  I'm pretty sure my coldest this season so far has been 23.  With clear moonlit skies and calm winds I think I've got a shot at close to 20 by morning.  I'm just wondering when I'll finally break 20 and reach the teens.  I think a low in the teens came really late last winter as well.  Last winter my coldest low for the entire season was just +5 F!  I think I only had that one single digit low just once all season.  And the winter before that my coldest was just +9 F.  Single digits have been few and far between over the last few years.  Of course, a nice snowpack does wonders for getting low temps down closer to zero at least a few times in any given winter.

My coldest reading last winter was 12. 

16 minutes ago, Blizzard of 93 said:

The 0z Canadian had a colder look for next week and showed some snow potential for next Wednesday.

203F8FC7-F8A1-4F8E-9AC7-3019AFC74310.png

C234157A-3D6F-4AE7-B4DA-40973C2FFBED.png

I'm not a avid snow lover like I used to be when I was younger. It seems I can't take the cold like i used to. I was always out in the cold when I was younger. My friends used to say your nuts for being out in the cold. But I can take 2 good snow events a winter (1 or 2 feet) a winter season and get it over with so we can move on to the warmer months.

I'm not a avid snow lover like I used to be when I was younger. It seems I can't take the cold like i used to. I was always out in the cold when I was younger. My friends used to say your nuts for being out in the cold. But I can take 2 good snow events a winter (1 or 2 feet) a winter season and get it over with so we can move on to the warmer months.

Couldn’t have said it better.