Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA - Winter 2021/2022

Bubbler86

24 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

384 so....LOL.  But I agree with your sentiment I think.  No slam dunk winter weather for a bit.   Models are insistent on not allowing the Southern Stream system, late next week, to get tugged up.   On the plus side, lots of people travelling so decent weather is good for them. 

Yeah, I know it's 384...but I was moreso referencing seeing that warmth during what many are saying is our solid winter pattern starting around New Year's. Getting pushed back again?

1 minute ago, TugHillMatt said:

Yeah, I know it's 384...but I was moreso referencing seeing that warmth during what many are saying is our solid winter pattern starting around New Year's. Getting pushed back again?

It’d be a LOT easier not to fret over stuff like this if there had been anything remotely resembling winter in the days and weeks leading up to it. That’s ultimately the issue here.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, TimB84 said:

It’d be a LOT easier not to fret over stuff like this if there had been anything remotely resembling winter in the days and weeks leading up to it. That’s ultimately the issue here.

Yes! The tone across ALL of the subforums here is frustration and disappointment with this (what feels like) never-ending crap regine we've found ourselves in...and the fact that we all have memories of this from Winters as of late. (Many of you in PA did alright compared to average last winter...but not up here.)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Blizzard of 93 said:

Seasonal temps here this week right near average in the low to mid 40s.

I don’t mean a pattern where the warm parts are 10-20 degrees above normal and the cold parts are merely seasonal, without even the threat of an advisory level snowfall or even an inch or two for that matter.

15 minutes ago, TugHillMatt said:

Just based on today, there is no solid winter pattern this year.  But we are still early so we shake off the late Dec disappointment and move on.  Still need to watch late next week especially SE areas. 

• Sad 1

Was the 09-10 Winter a bad Winter in CTP?

We only had 4 events….

It was one of the best Winter’s over the last few decades.

We had 1 good storm around December 20th that brought around 10 inches of snow. Then we had almost nothing until the blockbuster February week of 2 great storms around the 5th & 10th. Then back here we got a glancing blow later in February from the “snowicane” that gave Harrisburg around 6 inches of snow.

Of course No one is expecting a repeat of that year. 
My point is that we have plenty of time to score at least 4 good Winter events.

Patience is a difficult thing to manage…

I was recently thinking of our “good” Winters. 
There is usually a lot of waiting and down time between good periods even in the good Winters.

How about the Winter of 14-15? We had a snowstorm right before Thanksgiving. Then we had almost nothing until around January 20th. The good pattern then locked in from late January until mid-March. We ended up about 10 inches of snow above normal for the season.

Patience was rewarded that year.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

No one is punting winter :-).  We are all on the same team.  

Edit-Well @Voyager maybe not. LOL

The Upstate NY crew is. We've been burned so many times the past several years relative to average... we're even in discussion of how we are the new Mid-Atlantic. Lol

When you average 30 inches of snow each month of the winter, and many months as of recent have consisted of dustings...it makes it seem worse than D..C. :lol:

3 minutes ago, TugHillMatt said:

The Upstate NY crew is. We've been burned so many times the past several years relative to average... we're even in discussion of how we are the new Mid-Atlantic. Lol

When you average 30 inches of snow each month of the winter, and many months as of recent have consisted of dustings...it makes it seem worse than D..C. :lol:

Yea, I imagine people North East of us are getting very impatient.   If we are the new Atlanta you are indeed the new MA. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

We live in an instant gratification culture. Patience is becoming a lost character trait. People, through technology are used to getting things immediately. 

Great point.

This why, in terms of weather, I posted a couple of reminders of how long we had to wait for snow even in very good or great Winters.

5 minutes ago, Blizzard of 93 said:

Great point.

This why, in terms of weather, I posted a couple of reminders of how long we had to wait for snow even in very good or great Winters.

When it comes to snow, there are a good many reasons why it's very hard to be patient. 

My take is that to you, snow is snow is snow. December...March...June. You'll take whatever, whenever, and there are no "rules" to it.  That's awesome! Having said that. there are people that truly love snow, but not to the unlimited extent that you do. Snow in March to me is not the same as it is in late December. Sure, I love 14" on March 15th, but that comes with the knowledge that I'm going to lose most, if not all of it in the next 48 hours. (most likely) Then, there's the "what have you done for me lately" mentality of suffering through promised weather pattern changes that never materialize. So patience becomes hard...how many times am I going to get burned before I choose a different response? 

Patience is warranted but there are reasons specific to snow that make it less than a cut and dry situation. 

• Like 2