Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Central PA - Winter 2021/2022

Bubbler86

44 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

I would guess that many of the people on 80/81 in the area of the majority of issues are not locals. 

Good point. There is so MUCH tractor trailer traffic on the highways in PA as well. They definitely contribute to reduced visibilities.

40 minutes ago, Porsche said:

38 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

It's amazing some of the people standing by their cars did not die.  Numbskull decisions there.  Almost a total white out.  People driving the speed limit on a snow covered road with no visibility.  

Seriously. Every time I see videos like this, I'm like "GET AWAY FROM YOUR CAR AND THE ROAD!!!"

I don't know if the people are in shock and they just can't think straight?

40 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

It's amazing some of the people standing by their cars did not die.  Numbskull decisions there.  Almost a total white out.  People driving the speed limit on a snow covered road with no visibility.  

Seriously.  The number of poor decisions being made in that video clip is astounding.  

7 minutes ago, TimB said:

Starting with the fact that someone is standing there filming in the first place.

Exactly.  I saw a longer version of that clip with sound on YouTube and the guy filming has an almost gleefulness in his voice as he's watching the horror unfold in font of him, and also seems to be more worried about his Dodge Charger than anyone or anything else.  Pathetic.  

Just now, Mount Joy Snowman said:

Exactly.  I saw a longer version of that clip with sound on YouTube and the guy filming has an almost gleefulness in his voice as he's watching the horror unfold in font of him, and also seems to be more worried about his Dodge Charger than anyone or anything else.  Pathetic.  

I watched that one. He did get a little more hysterical as that video went on and he started to realize the gravity of the situation.

1 minute ago, Mount Joy Snowman said:

He's in a state of shock, that event is too large to even begin to understand to anyone who had their car pushed off the road and is listening to trucks going 60 rear end one another. Anyone filming in this situation gets a pass IMO. It's why they're all next to their cars and not up in the woods. Even in the woods there you're not entirely safe. Like I said earlier, nightmare fuel stuff. 

3 minutes ago, TimB said:

I watched that one. He did get a little more hysterical as that video went on and he started to realize the gravity of the situation.

1 minute ago, canderson said:

He's in a state of shock, that event is too large to even begin to understand to anyone who had their car pushed off the road and is listening to trucks going 60 rear end one another. Anyone filming in this situation gets a pass IMO. It's why they're all next to their cars and not up in the woods. Even in the woods there you're not entirely safe. Like I said earlier, nightmare fuel stuff. 

Yeah I get it, but it just came off as crass to me to be howling about the state of your Dodge Charger when there are quite likely people dying all around you.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Mount Joy Snowman said:

Yeah I get it, but it just came off as crass to me to be howling about the state of your Dodge Charger when there are quite likely people dying all around you.

Oh, for sure. But remember people after a plane crash carry off their giant overstuffed rollerboards while people are on fire still. 

People are selfish assholes. 

Insane cold temps aloft today, certainly a big driver in terms of lapse rates and instability with these snow squalls today and their long reach away from the lakes/mountains. Then you add in the late March solar/diurnal component. Core of cold at 700mb is moving over PA this afternoon with near -30ºC temps. Given heights, that’s only at approximately the 9200ft level. You have to go above the Arctic Circle to see similar cold at that level anywhere else in the N Hemisphere.

image.thumb.png.0301c48d167a9793902b3bf15dd0b1b9.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Insane cold temps aloft today, certainly a big driver in terms of lapse rates and instability with these snow squalls today and their long reach away from the lakes/mountains. Then you add in the late March solar/diurnal component. Core of cold at 700mb is moving over PA this afternoon with near -30ºC temps. Given heights, that’s only at approximately the 9200ft level. You have to go above the Arctic Circle to see similar cold at that level anywhere else in the N Hemisphere.
image.thumb.png.0301c48d167a9793902b3bf15dd0b1b9.png

If this were January under calm winds and snowpack, record lows would have occurred.

Haven't post often this winter as I have been in warmer Miami all winter...but I have to post today...these snow squalls are intense here on the Luzerne/Schuylkill line @ 2000ft elevation.  I drove thru the one that caused the major accident on I81 and there was zero visibility and an immediate ice sheet on the roads.  There are more coming before the end of the day....so ALL please be safe and pay attention to the warnings.  These squalls mean business!   

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, MAG5035 said:

Newspapers missed their last PV mention opportunity of the year. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, canderson said:

Totally agree bud.  Unless you've been in a situ like this, I'd suggest taking a pause on the instant reactions to the instant reactions.  I also saw the other video and heard cars continuing to smash up as he was walking away.   Surreal, horrific... and just tragic.  Guy was totally in a state of utter disbelief....

Hope yall r enjoying the snow...I've not seen a flake since yesterday.  Enjoy gang.