Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Central PA - Winter 2021/2022

Bubbler86

1 minute ago, mahantango#1 said:

22 for the low this morning was expecting it to be colder.

1 minute ago, Bubbler86 said:

I can only go back to the 0Z from yesterday which was 20-22 for you.  It may have been a little lower in earlier runs.  I posted something yesterday that was lower but forget if it was the HRRR.

I was going to make a comment that as is often the case, the cold underperformed here. I thought it was to get colder but I admit I didn't look into it much at all. 

Regardless - I needed a jacket this morning which doesn't happen often on 3/29.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

I was going to make a comment that as is often the case, the cold underperformed here. I thought it was to get colder but I admit I didn't look into it much at all. 

Regardless - I needed a jacket this morning which doesn't happen often on 3/29.

I scanned back and found my post a few pages ago.  It was 2 degrees colder than the 0Z when I posted so 18 or 19 for the LSV. MDT's low is 23 or 24 for it was 3-5 degrees too cold 18 hours out. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

Even out in your area, mostly low 20s this morning. Thanks for posting. 

I'm guessing the winds were the culprit overnight? When I went to bed, it was still howling outside. 

If you look down south of me you see a 16 and a 19 just to my West.  It is up to 19 here now.  Elevation helped this AM. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

Yes they are, and save for the extreme southern border of PA, they've only gone with a Marginal for most of us on their day #3 outlook. 

Ya not seeing a big outbreak up here. Don’t think it warms up enough to destabilize the atmosphere here Thursday afternoon.  The rain during the day probably saves us. 

6 minutes ago, Mount Joy Snowman said:

The Laurels have made out well the last few days.  Seven Springs.....

Laurel Ridge State Park....

http://www.paccsa.org/sites/default/files/webcamlr/netcam.jpg

I was surprised Whitetail was not still open when I went by this weekend.    Guess that 7-10 days of above normal was too much for them to overcome after a sparse winter. 

1 minute ago, Bubbler86 said:

I was surprised Whitetail was not still open when I went by this weekend.    Guess that 7-10 days of above normal was too much for them to overcome after a sparse winter. 

Roundtop and Whitetail both closed for the season on Sunday, March 20th. I was looking at the webcams for both of those resorts on Saturday the 19th and while both had a fair amount of terrain open, the conditions were horrid. That week was full of sunny, 60+ degree days. Most of the trails were slush runs. So I think it's safe to say that you're right about the AN temps in the middle of the month. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bubbler86 said:

That 56 is Cashtowns Golf Course. 

image.thumb.png.b531f4d38f2d51cbbf3643c45e17b74a.png

2 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

An example of the  HIA can be seen than by looking at the MA Ob's thread.  Almost all the lows were between 18-22 and that is in low lying beltway areas in many cases.   This is not a one time thing.  Those guys regularly report temps below the HIA area. 

I've noticed what you're saying as well, and honestly, it confuses me. Take the map you posted earlier this morning - much of Lanco is in the 22-24 degree range, and some of those locations are very remote. Definitely no HIA heat island dynamic in play there. 

Just now, Itstrainingtime said:

I've noticed what you're saying as well, and honestly, it confuses me. Take the map you posted earlier this morning - much of Lanco is in the 22-24 degree range, and some of those locations are very remote. Definitely no HIA heat island dynamic in play there. 

Yea, its not always actual HIA vs just calling an area HIA.  You are not exactly a concrete jungle in Historic District.  But  reports of below or at 20 right on the Beltway around DC. Any given night can have better radiational  conditions to our south but its is indeed not an uncommon experience.   Temps in the LSV seem to stay above forecast level times when areas to their N,S,E and W do not.