• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Tracking Jan 7 coastal storm. Lingering compression/flow velocity has not lent to consensus, but it seems at 30 hours out.. finally?

Typhoon Tip

3 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I have a feeling there won't be a huge difference across the region. Between some fluff inland, and maybe lower ratio stuff, but higher QPF near coast. 

I actually like my spot for a potential jack...far enough east for good QPF but far enough west and a little elevation for decent ratios. We'll see though....interior SE MA near the usual suspects like Foxborough are primed too for some heavy bands and their few hundred feet will help ratios some.

• Like 2
  • Weenie 1

Just now, ORH_wxman said:

I actually like my spot for a potential jack...far enough east for good QPF but far enough west and a little elevation for decent ratios. We'll see though....interior SE MA near the usual suspect like Foxborough are primed too for some heavy bands and their few hundred feet will help ratios some.

Yeah I could see that. If winds switch N quickly here, I think it would be pretty good too. But whatever....just happy to get a solid event.  

• Like 1

Just now, CoastalWx said:

Yeah I could see that. If winds switch N quickly here, I think it would be pretty good too. But whatever....just happy to get a solid event.  

MPM could complain his way to a jackpot too there in Westborough.

• Haha 3

Trying to learn more about FGEN products here. Would anybody care to briefly explain how to use the various FGEN products at varying heights to predict where banding develops? In other words, in a setup like this, should I be looking at 700mb FGEN, 850mb FGEN, 900-500mb average, 800-600mb average? I'm taking a wild guess and perhaps the layer(s) which is the closest layer at which DGZ is located in?

Just now, Jenkins said:

Trying to learn more about FGEN products here. Would anybody care to briefly explain how to use the various FGEN products at varying heights to predict where banding develops? In other words, in a setup like this, should I be looking at 700mb FGEN, 850mb FGEN, 900-500mb average, 800-600mb average? I'm taking a wild guess and perhaps the layer which is the closest layer at which DGZ is located in?

Usually banding is just N of best H7 fronto

• Like 2

Just now, Jenkins said:

Trying to learn more about FGEN products here. Would anybody care to briefly explain how to use the various FGEN products at varying heights to predict where banding develops? In other words, in a setup like this, should I be looking at 700mb FGEN, 850mb FGEN, 900-500mb average, 800-600mb average? I'm taking a wild guess and perhaps the layer which is the closest layer at which DGZ is located in?

I usually take the 600-800 avg...often the best banding will end up on the NW edge of that. Not all the time, but frequently. modeling best fronto isn't the easiest thing for guidance...it's pretty easy to be off like 25 miles on a short term forecast...but obviously that can make a huge difference in amounts if someone was supposed to be under that but it ended up 25 miles east.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, ORH_wxman said:

I usually take the 600-800 avg...often the best banding will end up on the NW edge of that. Not all the time, but frequently. modeling best fronto isn't the easiest thing for guidance...it's pretty easy to be off like 25 miles on a short term forecast...but obviously that can make a huge difference in amounts if someone was supposed to be under that but it ended up 25 miles east.

hope it moves 25 miles west I think ill be on the edge while you get nailed

• Weenie 1

Just now, Jenkins said:

I tend to look at H7 more because that corresponds to the snow growth area typically. You typically want to be just on the colder side of the fronto packing shown. The atmosphere typically has a circulation up and over that packing, so you will typically see the band of heavy snow just on the colder side of that circulation. 

In the image below I circled where it might theoretically be in the snap shot.

image.png.55c25744b69ff03aa8c952b31d6b3722.png

• Like 15

But Will is right, it could be higher or lower depending on the temperatures. A quick and dirty way of doing it is looking at temperature gradients. If 700mb looks warm and the DGZ is higher, look at the 500mb temps. Your nice banding probably is in between...say 600mb. You'll just need to interpolate a bit. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I tend to look at H7 more because that corresponds to the snow growth area typically. You typically want to be just on the colder side of the fronto packing shown. The atmosphere typically has a circulation up and over that packing, so you will typically see the band of heavy snow just on the colder side of that circulation. 

In the image below I circled where it might theoretically be in the snap shot.

image.png.55c25744b69ff03aa8c952b31d6b3722.png

At some point, we just need to start saying "the climatologically favored area"

• Haha 2