Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Dec. 10-11 Severe Weather

Indystorm

6 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

Then why didn't you post that sometime in the past few days?  

You literally had no comment on the rating until now.  Not even a quick drive by post.  So your thoughts after the fact don't mean much.

"meteorologist"

As for this rating if this isn't a 5 then I don't know how you achieve one. It is literally impossible considering how catastrophic the damage has been with this tornado.

• Like 7

Don’t expect any further upgrades. The days of EF5 ratings are over I’d say. For me, this one was the last nail in the coffin for that level of rating being ever being applied again. The part of the meteorological community that is responsible for rating application has pushed the concept of EF5 damage to unobtainable levels. 

• Like 6
  • Sad 1

"meteorologist"
As for this rating if this isn't a 5 then I don't know how you achieve one. It is literally impossible considering how catastrophic the damage has been with this tornado.

The Doppler on wheels fleet doesn’t really leave the plains and isn’t broken out for every event. May end up being that the current era of ef5’s are just storms with a Dow there to get a good wind measurement. Not condoning that as that’s going to just be a skewed/biased dataset, but it seems to be the way.
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, luckyweather said:

The Doppler on wheels fleet doesn’t really leave the plains and isn’t broken out for every event. May end up being that the current era of ef5’s are just storms with a Dow there to get a good wind measurement. Not condoning that as that’s going to just be a skewed/biased dataset, but it seems to be the way.

Either that or tornadoes that happen to hit high-rises and do major damage

I would like to see more usage of non-traditional damage indicators in the future.  I know it's not as easy as buildings and what not, but it would fill in some gaps IF it could be done reliably.  Fujita rated the Plainfield, IL tornado as F5 based on extreme corn damage, not structural damage.

Weren't they working on some kind of update to the EF scale, or am I mistaken?

1 minute ago, brianc33710 said:

Would these "underratings" relate to insurance companies and/or aid groups that dole out more aid for 5s than 4s & dont want to give out more money? Im being serious, not a smart ass.....just want to make sure this comment isnt read the wrong way.

That certainly makes for a good conspiracy theory...

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Buckeye05 said:

Don’t expect any further upgrades. The days of EF5 ratings are over I’d say. For me, this one was the last nail in the coffin for that level of rating being ever being applied again. The part of the meteorological community that is responsible for rating application has pushed the concept of EF5 damage to unobtainable levels. 

So so so true. It’s not happening.

3 minutes ago, notsomadscientist said:

The toxicity I've seen everywhere on social media over an EF rating while dozens are dead and thousands have had their lives changed is disgusting. 

Yes mr. 10 posts, everyone talking about the rating totally doesn't care about those who have been killed or injured. It is totally that.

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, notsomadscientist said:

The toxicity I've seen everywhere on social media over an EF rating while dozens are dead and thousands have had their lives changed is disgusting. 

Concerns over both aren’t mutually exclusive. The EF scale has been misused since 2014, causing at artificial EF5 drought that has been ongoing. This was an opportunity to break the pattern and re-establish a reasonable approach to rating, but it’s been squandered. You not understanding that does not deligitimize our frustration at the situation.

• Like 4

Let’s remember, this survey is currently preliminary. That means further inspection and discussion could lead to an EF-5 rating. 

That said, if this doesn’t end up there in the coming weeks, I agree with the sentiment that has been expressed in this thread. Basically, there’s almost no areas out there that have structures built up to the standard that would enable an EF-5 rating, and contextual evidence beyond that is just not seen as reliable enough to give a rating beyond that, even if it should be IMHO.

• Like 4