Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
December 2021

MJO812

46 minutes ago, JustinRP37 said:

We will have missed about three weeks of normal southern NY and southern New England ski season. Winter for most people is more than just watching snowfall. It is about actually enjoying winter sports and toys. The overnight lows have sucked and been way too warm to even make snow. 

Ski season has been a disaster thus far. We are just getting going now…as you said 3 weeks late

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bluewave said:

It’s tough to shift the Aleutian Block and deep -PNA once it becomes a self sustaining process. Paul Roundy gives a nice explanation of what has been going on. This is why we are seeing the record Aleutians Ridge and -PNA this month. So it’s no surprise that all the models continue this pattern into the long range.

It will shift in 15-20 days.. the subsurface ENSO is not La Nina at all. The pattern is less about ENSO than longer term happenings. It might not be a deep +PNA, but we will see a brake. 

1 hour ago, SnoSki14 said:

Not much to be optimistic about. Jan could see some action first half as cold tries to bleed further south despite unfavorable PNA. 

I do think mid-late Jan through mid Feb will be a torch as we lose blocking temporarily. However I expect blocking to resurface later on with the -PNA no longer acting as a deterrent late Feb & March. 

I'm expecting 30" most of which will come in late Feb & March. 

I would love to see 30", but I'm not sure we'll get there this year.  I do agree that, assuming the current -PNA-driven pattern holds, the latter part of the season and the shortening wavelengths that it brings might present us with our best opportunities.  Stanks that we're already pinning our hopes to that in December though....

1 hour ago, jfklganyc said:

Ski season has been a disaster thus far. We are just getting going now…as you said 3 weeks late

Skied at Gore on Monday -- conditions were pretty good.   Once north of Saratoga the ground was covered.   Gore has been able to make a good amount of man made snow as well -- you can see it stockpiled on this trail below.   I'm sure they'll have it all groomed out for the holiday week.

IMG_3518.HEIC

• Like 2

4 hours ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

Yeah, shades of 01/02-11/12-19/20 are definitely in the air. We really need a full scale pattern reversal. That might not happen until we have our next Nino. But your just not going to cut it with such a persistent -pna. I’m not the type to throw in the towel, but generally a rat winter shows itself early on. 

The signs were there for much of the fall for a potential rat winter. 

• Like 1
  • Weenie 2

1 minute ago, EasternLI said:

A lot of football spiking on the season. It's Dec. 22nd. I wouldn't be so sure, yet. -PNA is part of a pattern which can cause heavy damage to the PV. A pattern that could possibly set up for an extended period. If it goes off, would have an effect on February into March. 

Too early to say ratter but the lack of precip remains a concern....

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, StormchaserChuck! said:

Blowtorch alert for February.. -PNA is a really tough correlation with Dec-PNA/La Nina. late Jan last year ran at 3std's-NAO, we might want to flip that this late Jan/early Feb. January is our month I think. 

whole winter could be a torch if that -PNA is strong

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Brian5671 said:

whole winter could be a torch if that -PNA is strong

Which, given the endless warmth this December seems likely.

You have your mid January saying…I have mine: Good winters don’t start with Decembers like this.

Now you hope for a couple of large storms that save seasonal snowfall…but prolonged cold or “normal” winter conditions. Nah. 

And the dryness is also a concern

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Brian5671 said:

there's an old adage that says if the pattern doesn't show up by mid Jan it's not happening....

Thats about right...its more or less the same for summer.  If you don't see a pattern change by mid July its fairly rare August turns around...oddly enough both 2001 and 2002 saw exactly that with a full scale turnaround for August but you don't see it much

25 minutes ago, EasternLI said:

14-15 was a furnace December.

Not calling for that, but that winter turned out fine. I've seen some fat squirrels this year too. Let me get the farmers almanac. Nope, we're porked, we had a full moon in August. 

that had a big -EPO.  We would need something like that to turn this around